Odd question of the day, how many CDs can I import before heat/wear set in?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shivetya, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I know its a bid odd, if not just a whole lotta silly to ask.

I need to import my CD collection, I have many CDs I have never imported, some imported partially, and some just imported at a low rate.

Would anyone see any reason to have concern over doing hundreds of CDs without pause; other personal madness ensuing loading/unloading them? Is there a temp meter on the 2012 DVD drive I can monitor?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think anyone knows "how many". Sometimes drives last a long time with a lot of use, sometimes they don't.

The world may never know.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you know it's silly to ask, why even bother?

Nobody knows for sure. MTBF means nothing because they're collected from hundred of thousands of sample. You could be far below average, or above.

Just rip your CDs and while you're in warranty, there's no need to be afraid.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I understand your concern given the fact replacing the optical drive on an iMac is non-trivial. Maybe if you are that worried about it, buy a cheap USB CD drive from Amazon or whatever then sell it used on eBay when you are done. This would avoid all the wear on your internal CD drive.

That said, just from reading threads here, you don't seem to read about iMac optical drive failures terribly often.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It would be more of a concern if you were burning hundreds of CDs without pause. And I've burned up to 50 CDs and 20 DVDs (distribution of materials to my classes) at a time with no trouble. I've also ripped hundreds of DVDs. The "superdrive" in my 3+ year old iMac is still working fine.

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

not continuously, but i've converted my cd collection of 800+ and my DVD collection of about 250 with no issue.

7. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I'll echo, that burning I've found is the main concern I've ever had.

I usually find I need to pause after 3 burns, but then rarely do I have more than 3 things ready to burn in quick succession.

I guess it depends on how quickly each rip goes, but I'd think your part of the process, of putting disc in, taking it out, putting it away, would give enough pause between the two, and I'd think you'd get bored after a certain ammount of time and move on to something else for a while.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

9. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

No, I don't know what it is, but I do know that it's an integer multiple of Pi.

10. imac275 macrumors member

I ripped about 1,000 CDs on my old iMac over the course of a few months and the drive failed shortly afterwards.

If I was doing it again, I'd just buy a cheap external drive and throw it away or sell it on afterwards.

I am sure that Apple would replace a failed drive under warranty, but you'd either have to take it in for repair or send it away and be without it for a while. That is a lot of hassle considering the cost of an external drive.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I spent a long weekend a 2 years ago ripping several hundred CD's pretty much back to back (save 6 hour breaks for sleep) - I was on a mission. To this day, the SuperDrive works well.

12. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

Im not sure where you are located, but here in the states , most retailers have a 30 day return policy for a full refund . just use it and return it if you have any problems .... or return it to just return it.