Odds of a MBA retina screen in summer 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dagdagdag234, Feb 26, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

I know this has been addressed in several rumors threads, along with talks of other specs -- but I thought I'd par the discussion down to all I truly care about -- whether the screen will be retina this year or not?

What are the odds, do you think? Thanks.

2. psik macrumors 6502

Actually it hasn't, most of those that's were about Broadwell.. Now it's pretty clear there will not be Broadwell, but retina, I would appreciate if others can share their insights too ...

3. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Now that Intel has released a more accurate road map for Broadwell, it appears that we will not see these until 2015. Apple will not let their line stagnate for that long so I think that the move to Retina will happen in the summer/fall. There are supposed to be "updated" Haswells coming this year so Apple can use those chips and still claim a performance gain.

I also think that Apple will use this opportunity to update the form factor to include a 12" Retina screen and perhaps discontinuing the 13" MBA since it is so similar to the 13" rMBP and Apple would most certainly like to have those people get the more expensive model. I think that a streamlined MacBook line makes a lot of sense and a 12" rMBA and 13"/15" rMBP would more than suffice most of Apple's customers.

4. thebrobrah macrumors regular

broadwell should be a 4th quarter 2014 launch

why do you think its 2015?

edit: ...that is, mobile broadwell ULT

5. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

It has been rumored that Intel is behind in deploying Broadwell by about 1 quarter and may not have full scale production until 2015. Apple likes to update its MacBook line in June to take advantage of the back to school sales rush so waiting for the 4th quarter will be too late. I think that they will release a redesigned MBA with a 12 inch retina display and continue to use Haswell processors to offset the cost of the display and then move on to Broadwell early next year and claim "dramatic" battery life increases, etc. I suppose Apple could just upgrade the MBA to the latest Intel Haswells sans redesign and wait until the October time frame to release a new form factor and update the entire laptop line to Broadwell in one swoop but this seems unlikely.