Odd's of Apple fixing my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vong, May 1, 2012.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

So my power button is stuck, it will not work at all, phone still works and everything. I am out of warranty you guys think they wil give me a refurbished one?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Out of warranty repair (replacement) for an iPhone 4 in the US is $149, could be less in an Apple Retail Store if you're lucky.

How did the button get stuck?

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Like the others said, it'll be $149.. unless you get lucky, in which case you could get it for free..

5. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

The buttons commonly get stuck almost every iPhone I've had does it eventually. You could worse case purchase the button.

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Apple is really tightening up on just giving out phones. If you are out of warranty and didn't purchase Applecare, you are probably out of luck.

In my opinion, this is the way it should be. It's not fair to the people who have purchased Applecare to see others get their phones replaced for free when they had the same option to buy it just as they did.

I was in the Apple store last week buying an out of warranty replacement because the glass broke on my iPhone 4 and people were in the store just whining to get their phones replaced for all kinds of issues. The geniuses never budged from what I saw and turned everyone away.

7. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

I think its from the GAFT LEVERAGE Case. They gave me a sticker type of thing for my button side because the first prototype made scratches. When I took off the case along with the sticker for another case I got, there was some stick residue left over and I guess I did not clean it that well and some of the residue went into the power button :(. Ah man, $149 darn it. I knew I should of gotten Apple Care. Got it for my macbook pro but not my iPhone.

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

No, and I'm curious as to why you would even begin to think they would? They provided you a warranty, the product lasted through the warranty, but you want them to pay for it? If they wanted to pay for out of warranty phones............................................................................., the warranty would be longer.

Now to answer your question again:

Yes for $150 they will fix it.:D

9. NewtonApple macrumors member

She might have thought that Apple would do it as they have done things like this in the past!:eek:

Lots of "snarky" replies for a cry for some help :(

10. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

You can buy all three side buttons for under $5, shipped (power, volume, silent switch).

If you know someone who can take the iPhone apart it can be done in less than an hour.

If you don't know anyone a reliable iPhone repair business can do for far less than $150.

Then of course there is Apple for $150. I would not pay that much, personally. (I just replaced an iPhone 4 LCD for 28.89, shipped, for the LCD/digitizer unit.)

Michael

11. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I think people are just tired of folks wanting something for nothing, which seems to happen a lot here.

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

She's not looking for help, she's looking for a handout.:eek:

Help would be, "What's the cheapest option for fixing my phone", not will Apple give me a free one even though I am of warranty.

Not "snarky" at all, just tired of people expecting a free ride.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bring it in, they might swap it for free anyway.
    Happened many times before and its such a small issue, you might get lucky.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Odds, not odd's. You eat apples, not apple's.

15. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

16. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Well to be fair in the past Apple has still given "support" if it's a short time frame after warranty expired and was def hardware/os related, I've seen Apple cover MBP's even a month out from warranty. However a few weeks ago a friend had his home button completely stop working literally a week after warranty expired on his 4, no go. I told him what parts to order and did it for free.

Seems to be echo'd in threads/post here this recent past few months, seems the days of Apple giving some support if just after warranty, is over. Plenty of people have posted before about replacements and other warranty work being done after it had expired, but not so much anymore it seems.

Vong - it's a fairly easy fix, check out iFix it and videos on youtube, you'll see how you can replace it yourself (if you want) and what parts to get for a fraction of what they will charge you. Least you'll be able to see if it's something you can/want to tackle yourself.

17. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Google a fix. I can't remember exactly how, but I repaired my stuck 3GS in about five minutes.
    I don't want to steer you wrong, but I remember having to attach the power/charging cord into the iPhone at a steep angle along with another step or two.
    It was worth trying as I never had a problem after that.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If this is anything like RedFlagDeals forums a female avatar is rarely a match for the poster's actual gender.

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Good advice. But I wouldn't classify replacing the power button an easy fix though. You still have to take out the logic board which is a bit much for many folks. I am active in a thread here where a guy from Brazil replaced his power button and apparently messed up the socket for the LCD on the motherboard. He took it to a shop but they don't seem capable of replacing the LCD socket on the motherboard (it's either damaged or there is some sort of debris blocking connection).

Michael

20. NewtonApple macrumors member

We can dream! ;)

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You don't need to buy anything except the correct drivers to open the phone up. Strip it down take the button out clean it and put it back in. Over done 10-12 of these now it's easy and dosnt take long providing you work with some kind of order.

22. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Damn apple way over charges.. find a local guy to fix

or sell it

23. aneftp macrumors 601

Why don't people pay with credit cards. Most will double your warranty.

Simple. Pay with credit card. Scan or take picture of receipt.

Print copy of apple iPhone warranty.

Go to apple store and get cost of replacement receipt. Pay for your replacement.

Send in necessary paperwork to credit card company. They will send u check for entire costs including taxes.

24. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

do what now?

25. SurferMan macrumors 65816

True, I've done so many for friends and our own phones, even a few employee's just b/c I like to tinker with stuff lol. So used to it now I can tear down and put back together an iphone in minutes lol. I've done the power button on the 3GS phones and 4's (not 4S) plenty of times, not that hard even the 1st try. Just have to be careful though w/o a doubt. Only hard part the 1st few times was dealing with the flex cable, gotta be careful with it as it's delicate.