Odds of AT&T allowing current iPhone users to upgrade to v2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, May 16, 2008.

1. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

are you talking about hardware or software?

for the latter, no problem,

for the former, I can't see you getting out of a contract renewal, but, if ATT is the sole provider for the next 4 years, who cares?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're talking the software v2.0, that's free from Apple through iTunes.

If you're talking the yet-unconfirmed 2nd Gen iPhone (hardware), of course they will. Just pay for it and extend your contract. Then again, if there's no subsidy (meaning no contract extension?), just swap SIMs and reregister through iTunes.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

If it is not subsidized I don't see how they can make you sign up for another two years. If you buy the phone straight out I don't think they can make you sign up for two more years.

As far as "allowing" well that is pretty obvious that they want people to buy a new phone and use it on their network. You did not sign a two year contract to that specific phone.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

100%

... if you pay the full price (just like any other cell phone)

Otherwise, well, why would it be different than the 100 other cell phones AT&T sells?

5. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

My question was poorly worded...

What I meant was a discount to current AT&T/iPhone users that want to upgrade their hardware to v2.0.

I guess I'm just picturing a perfect world, but if you go into AT&T with your iPhone, they will discount the price of v2.0 if you provide them with a v1.0 phone. I know Apple buys back broken and defective phones and makes refurbished ones, this is the only reason I'm thinking along these lines.

Anything to try to avoid spending another arm and a leg.

On another note- are you guys saying that the features potentially available in the suspected v2.0 will be available to the original through an iTunes upgrade?

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

iPhone firmware revision 2.0 will be available as a free upgrade through iTunes--this was previously announced by Apple.

7. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Thanks, I kinda drifted away from the Apple news with school and stuff, that's great news.

I'm just trying to figure out whether I should sell my iPhone and get the new one, wait for them to iron out the wrinkles of the new one then buy it, or just hold out all together. If a software upgrade is going to be available, I might just hold out.

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

There's a difference between returning defective hardware (broken, etc) and returning a perfectly good piece of product for a new one...without a penalty. What has happened to me before, when the BlackJack II came out and I had just bought a BJ1, was they charged me full price for the phone and extended the contract. So, I doubt you will be able to take in your v1 iPhone and get a v2 without paying full price.

In short, you have to decide whether a speed increase with 3G is worth a couple hundred bucks.

9. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yeah, thanks... I guess I'll just wait and see. You know how it is, just getting excited about the new phone.

10. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Absolutely 100% for the upgrade.
    0% for a return credit on your old iPhone

11. neven macrumors 6502a

Let's not get too confident about the idea that 3G will be the only new thing iPhone 2 brings. Apple is neither stupid nor lazy.

12. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

This makes me curious as to how many current iPhone 1 owners will upgrade to the iPhone 2.0 (hardware). I submitted as a macpoll but apparently we need all of April, May, and quite possibly June to determine whether people like or dislike April Fools rumors :(

I myself say I won't upgrade, but I have moments where I black out and wake up with a playstation 3 or something ridiculous so I never know. Hopefully I can stay strong. But the 3G + addl features would be nice. If AT&T did knock a little $ off, which they won't, it'd be a little more tempting. Dang u appl

13. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

NDimichino, you've got it all wrong!

Have you never heard anything at all about the iPhone Hardware/Software? I suppose you hardly spend any time on it.

2.0 is FIRMWARE. It's an update that should be around next month for the iPhone.

The '3G iPhone' is the next iPhone coming out soon.

14. paduck macrumors 6502

I imagine that you will be able to sell your old iPhone on ebay. It requires some effort and the price will certainly not be what it is today, but I think you will still be able to get $100-$200 for it. There are plenty of people who will pay that if they aren't interested in 2nd generation capabilities.

So the price you can sell your old phone for will end up being your discount.

15. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

No - but their history with iPod development shows that they always do "just enough" to keep ahead of the competition. it would be no big surprise to see the 3G Phone turn out to be exactly that - the iPhone we know and love with 3G capability added. Perhaps GPS too. Maybe. Throw in more memory in 6 months. All the other improvements will be software - most of it third party to fill some of the gaps Apple have left.

Then you get the next iPhone roll in next year with some of the other features people are listing (front facing camera, different colors, etc). Just enough to get existing owners to think about upgrading and to slowly draw in people who sat out getting an iPhone before.

Apple knows that it can't put everything i at once. What would they save for "next time"?

16. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yeah, I just found out about the firmware upgrade, but the rest I knew... what did I have all wrong?

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Part of the problem with all this is we're all talking about different versions of different aspects of the same thing.

There's the iPhone itself, currently version 1, as we hold it today. Assuming new hardware is being released we could call it iPhone v2, 2nd Gen, iPhone 2, etc.

Then, the firmware. Currently at 1.1.4, we know that it will be 2.0 next month.

Then, the rumored 3G, likely dependent on at least the firmware revision, if not the hardware as well.

So, when I say, for example, "iPhone 2.0", am I talking about the phone, the firmware, or referring obliquely to the purported 3G capability? I don't know, either.

Whichever aspect one is referring to, they should try to be specific so we stay more or less on the same page.

18. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Isn't the iPhone 2 the same thing as the 3G iPhone?

19. DreamPod macrumors 65816

So let's clarify some things:
    iPhone OS 2.0: a downloadable firmware upgrade from the current 1.1.4, adds the much-anticipated "App Store" from where you can download native iPhone apps (both free and commercial) developed by companies other than Apple (such as, Sega's Super Monkeyball game). Also adds Enterprise features, such as email-push from MS Exchange servers and remote-wipe. iPhone OS 2.0 will be a free upgrade for all iPhone users, and will cost money for iPod Touch users, and will be available sometime in June.

"3G iPhone", the rumored second-gen iPhone with built-in 3G data (for high speed data access for those areas covered by it), possibly GPS, probably double the storage, maybe other things like A2DP bluetooth for *stereo* wireless headsets (a really odd missing piece from a music playing phone) This "3G iPhone" is an entirely new hardware, and will be sold in stores and from AT&T just like the current iPhone, rumored to be available in June. One rumor is that AT&T will be offering a new subsidy to make this phone available for $200 and $300 for the two models (the small and large storage options). Parts of that rumor state that they will require signing a new 2 year contract to get that subsidy, or may only offer it to new AT&T customers

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My past dealings with AT&T and a subsidized phone, say a Motorola Razr V3xx sells retail $349, but with a 2-year contract $199, so I imagine that's what most of you are saying in this thread. I had a phone stolen 3 months after I bought it and paid a subsidized price, but was unable to buy another phone at the subsidized price. AT&T was adamant that I couldn't get another phone for under $299, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a KRZR for $79 and that was the end of it. I think I paid the $18 activation fee and I was good to go. I figure when I get the V2 iPhone, I can just swap the SIM cards and avoid any additional charges. :eek::cool: