Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I'm not going to be able to wait in line on Friday and I didn't place my order for the new iPad until some money I was waiting for was in hand so I missed the preorder window. I see that if I order now through Apple its 2-3 weeks, do I have any shot of getting a 64GB 4G model sometime next week (like next friday) in a retail store? Should I just order it online and wait for the sure thing?

wbeem

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
I'm not going to be able to wait in line on Friday and I didn't place my order for the new iPad until some money I was waiting for was in hand so I missed the preorder window. I see that if I order now through Apple its 2-3 weeks, do I have any shot of getting a 64GB 4G model sometime next week (like next friday) in a retail store? Should I just order it online and wait for the sure thing?

Nobody knows. We have no idea what inventory will be in the stores, so we can't promise you an accurate answer. It may vary depending upon one store or another, one town or another, etc.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
If you could stop by a Best Buy on lunch break or something you could sign up for the pre-order/wait list and probably get it around then without too much fuss.

Otherwise.. its possible but very hard to predict. Best bet would be waiting on another day if you can, an Apple store should be getting shipments daily or at least be able to tell you if they will.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio

I think you will get one, saying you don't go to an Apple store at 8 pm. My guess is that Apple stores will have plenty to go around. If you feel like being stealthy, then go to Target early, say between 3-5 am. Walmart will have lots of potential buyers, ditto for Best Buy!

I almost decided to camp for an iPad, but I chickened out and pre-ordered. I think it would be fun and it's on my "bucket list".

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I forgot to add this in my first post. I also wanted info on how it was last year with the iPad 2. I was going to base my decision off what occurred then as well.

But I'll try Target for sure, for some reason it doesn't strike me as the place people would be lined up for the iPad. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Sharkoid

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I think you will get one, saying you don't go to an Apple store at 8 pm. My guess is that Apple stores will have plenty to go around. If you feel like being stealthy, then go to Target early, say between 3-5 am. Walmart will have lots of potential buyers, ditto for Best Buy!

I almost decided to camp for an iPad, but I chickened out and pre-ordered. I think it would be fun and it's on my "bucket list".

Don't waste your time at Target, they will be only carrying 16g WIFI.

Last edited:

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
im sure if you avoid the apple stores and just drive around hitting all the bestbuy/futureshops/whateverelseyourcountryorregionhas you'll get one on launch date.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
RadioShack is another option. But, call ahead and ask if they're even getting any! Then, be there 2-3 hrs before the store opens!

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
You never know. On iPhone 4S launch day, I dropped by the local Apple store around 1:00 PM and walked out 10 minutes later with my activated 4S. No line, no wait.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
You never know. On iPhone 4S launch day, I dropped by the local Apple store around 1:00 PM and walked out 10 minutes later with my activated 4S. No line, no wait.

I really hope it's like that Friday. I want to trade in my 32GB LTE for a 64 GB LTE. I'm still kicking myself for not going 64 during the preorder. I don't know what I was thinking. lol

mitch.dunc

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
I hope that it is that easy too! I won't be able to get to the store until 5:30 or 6 PM. I really regret not buying online.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Got one no problem at the Apple store after work today 6PM. I guess the preorders and the amount of production out of the factories got more than enough inventory in stores.

That, or maybe iPad 2 owners are waiting for the new iPad (this is my first iPad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.