Odds of this Happening and Would you Buy It?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JHKL, Dec 1, 2007.

?

Would you buy the device described below?

1. Yes, I'd definitely buy it!

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Maybe - doesn't sound like that great of an idea.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. No, what were you thinking when you posted this??

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. JHKL macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm just curious about something. If a third-party vendor were to come up with a Bluetooth adapter for the iPod Touch that supported shared internet connectivity with any other cell phone, and either a legit application using Apple's SDK or a "hacked" version of Safari that read the data from the Bluetooth adapter, so that you could browse the web using your existing cell phone plan from the iPod Touch, would you want it? Moreover would you buy it?

I'm not going to create one of these things myself, but I'm curious to see if others would want the freedom to use the data plan of any cell phone they wanted with their iPod touch. That way you would not have to be locked with AT&T in the States, Canadians would have the ability to have anywhere internet access on their iPod Touch, etc... (Sorry can't come up with other examples off hand).

Let me know what you think. If the idea's popular, maybe someone who can manufacture this type of device will make it.

David

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Wait, just to make sure I understand the idea:

1) BT adaptor X would attach to some cell phone with a data plan
    2) iPod would read that BT connection and essentially tunnel into the data plan

Right?

Well, suppose Apple did add BT to the iPod. You'd likely be breaking your user agreement unless you were permitted to tether. Just the same as using any laptop with a cell and data plan.

As for the iPhone, I don't think that the phone's BT is enabled to allow it to tether into something else, thus making it useless for the Canadian model you propose.

3. JHKL thread starter macrumors newbie

Not exactly, I was proposing a BT adapter which would attach to the iPod Touch which would then be able to use a BT connection from a cell phone. Obviously this would need either a cracked (modified) version of Safari or some other app to read the data from the adapter. Basically like a BT headphone adapter only this is for data.

You are quite correct about the tethering - I never thought of that.

And, no, the iPhone's Bluetooth does not include the DUN (or whatever the internet connection is) profile so one can't use the iPhone's Bluetooth to use data with another cell phone. I wanted to buy an iPhone in the US and use it with a Canadian cell phone (for data and voice), but then I saw that the these profiles aren't built into the firmware.

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

fraid not, now if it can somehow hack to get bluetooth speakers to work, that be even better. I'm happy with wifi around :)

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Never gonna happen! Hate to break it to you, but Apple will never add this functionality - infringes on the iPhone, and even the iPhone doesn't do much with bluetooth.

A 3rd party vendor won't do this cause it wouldn't work without hacks, and they wouldn't get enough purchases if it only works with hacks (and Apple wouldn't verify it).

The only solution would be a diy make your own version, but I highly doubt it would happen.

6. JHKL thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be so sure that this couldn't happen without hacks come February. If the SDK allowed access to the dock connector data (which is questionable) then it may be possible to do.

I don't expect this to happen, but I was curious to see how many people would actually like to be able to use iPod Safari with any cell phone. And right now it's not looking as popular as I may have thought it would have been.