O'Donnell leaving 'The View'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

What do you think? Do you buy it -- that this wasn't political?

I'd like to believe it wasn't, but until the Imus thing, it seemed all the networks cared about was how much money you made for them. Now it looks to be an entirely different environment. I wouldn't be surprised if Rosie's "controversial" statements were at least a part of this. Like Michael Moore and Bill Maher, Rosie will stir up right-wing attacks no matter where she ends up. It's just that she was probably too blunt and honest for a show like "The View", which likes to talk about current events but doesn't seem to want to ruffle any feathers.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly? I don't care. She's not the best at expressing her POV effectively.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe they will just cancel the show together and put us all out of out misery.:)

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This news was a big surprise to me, and I'm curious about the real story as well (assuming that the story we've been told isn't the real story). Given that the show's ratings have improved since she joined the cast, I don't understand why ABC would make this move now. I can't imagine its due to pressure from sponsors like it was in the Imus case.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its too bad. She was the funniest hen in that chicken coop they call the "View." Not that I ever watch that crap. I wonder where all the lefties will get their talking points now. :D

Edit: is it really necessary to label my jokes as such? Just fyi I don't actually think the left gets their talking points from rosie.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm... from the looks of this thread, none of them really liked her anyway. Pay attention please...:) She's hardly the O'Reilly of the left. I'd venture a guess that the left doesn't really care about her at all.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I haven't seen the show very often, but I agree that it never really came across (to me) they there were pushing her political agenda(s). If anything, it seemed as though her co-hosts often had that "deer in the headlights" look whenever she came out with something off the wall.

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ditto. Don't care, don't care, don't care.

10. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Why do groups of women just turn into one massive bitch fest?

11. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Have you ever actually been in the presence of several women? Most of us manage to keep our hairdos intact and our nails in one piece. :rolleyes:

But in the case of these types of shows? Because "real-life conflict" makes for ratings-grabbing TV. Reality TV has been capitalizing on this for some time, now.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

I don't think it's a ringing indictment of women. I do, however, think it's a moronic television show.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think that what people actually tuned in to watch the show were doing so to watch the daily train wreck that occurred each time she spoke. Kind of like Springer-Lite without people actually hitting each other.

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Keep those happy thoughts coming. Even though her scheduled June departure is hardly voluntary from my perspective, it still qualifies as good news. Trump must be in a state of unequalled ecstacy. The behavior from both of them over the last few months was abysmal.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You made other such comments in the past and didn't appear to be kidding. Sarcasm doesn't carry so well on the 'net. If you've been pulling a Colbert this entire time, it would certainly explain a lot.

I'm specifically posting here to say I don't care. Only reason I clicked on the link. She certainly doesn't speak for me.

You're obviously not doing it right. When I get together with groups of women, it's usually a pretty good time. ;) Sometimes.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'd have to agreed with you fully on that. He made some call ins to both The Factor and Hannity and Skeletor last night and simply effused over the whole situation.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone remember, when The View first launched, and SNL was still funny, I think (or maybe it was MadTV?) there were some great parodies of The View where they made one of the women get in a cage when she'd been "bad"?

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I haven't seen it on TV for a very very long time (granted, I don't watch TV ;) ), but I was reading about her in a newspaper or on an online article somewhere, and it was about Rosie and The View, and how it wasn't so moronic. :eek:

It was interesting because the author stated that although the women on the show aren't always the most well-informed, people watch that show because the women on the show have the same fears and opinions that many typical people in society have. They do voice the concerns of many women (and even men) out there regarding things like the war(s), terrorists, bombings, etc, and Rosie made it even better because she brought a viewpoint to the table that they never had before.

Are their opinions moronic and a bit off? Maybe, but if you think so, then remember that not everyone will think so because not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are in this area.

19. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

maybe you apply for the show? could use a guy perspective. i wold go on but id end up hitting on the young blonde chick the whole time. lol!

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I prefer to watch Ed, Ed and Eddie on Cartoon Network instead of the View. It gives me a better perspective on the perverse nature of mankind. ;)

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's pretty much it, as far as I can tell. My wife watches it, but I'll stick around the the parts where Rosie is getting on Elizabeth's nerves. :D And from what I can tell, though the others aren't as vocal as Rosie, Elizabeth usually finds herself outnumbered by not just Rosie but by Barbara and the redhead as well.

The beginning part of the show is just women shooting the breeze about what's in the news. No less informed than the average person, and probably more informed than many.

But my real interest in the topic was that the right had put a target on Rosie's back from the beginning, and did they finally get their wish?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Rosie is an acquired taste, you either love her or hate her. She is a loud mouth that will scream her point across and not listen to any other viewpoints. Remember Tom Selic.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think that Rosie is one of the lost Canker sisters!

24. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Ugh. I hate this show. I've had the misfortune of being in places where I wasn't in control of the remote, and stuck watching (or at least listening to) it. That's when headphones and itunes came in handy :p