Of course they give us the option of Magic Trackpad to make things difficult.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kendo, May 3, 2011.

?

Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad?

1. Magic Mouse

30.7%
  2. Magic Trackpad

69.3%
  1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm thinking about getting the Magic Trackpad because I have a Logitech G9x but part of me wants to get the Magic Mouse just so I can have the traditional iMac package for a "true" experience. I say "true" because this will be my first ever iMac purchase. What does everyone here plan on getting since they now give you an option of one or the other?

2. Orme macrumors member

3. archer75 macrumors 65816

Magic Mouse sucks for gaming so i'd be using a different mouse anyways. So I got mine with the trackpad.

4. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Quoting Jobs: "Most of our Macs are Macbooks!" January 2010.

No true experience with a mouse - especially one that ******. Keep the G9X (even though Logitech drivers on OSX are not that great) and get the trackpad.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I'd say magic trackpad. I had magic mouse and hated it so sold and went back to my logitech.

6. sanderwood macrumors newbie

I'm getting the trackpad. It would bug me too much to use a mouse without two physically separated buttons and scroll wheel. Though I prefer trackpad over mouse for almost anything anyways.

7. tulsamal macrumors newbie

A neighbor wanted me to order her a new iMac and get it all setup for her. This was about a year ago. And I was sure I was going to hate that Magic Mouse. And there was a learning curve. But after I used it for a few days, I was calling people over to show them the different things you could do with it. Nice tech.

I'm thinking about ordering both myself.

Gregg

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'm getting the track pad, which is quite nice for me.

I already have a fantastic Logitech MX518, and the magic mouse is crap. I don't know anyone who bought it, who actually use it, due to the weird size..

9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I have both and..

So I have a multi-big monitor setup with a magic mouse and magic trackpad. I enjoy my trackpad on my uMBP and was thrilled when the magic trackpad was introduced. I've used it surprisingly little.

I just find it slower than the mouse. It's not from lack of practice (I've used trackpads for hundreds of hours and liked them) but I'm just faster and more accurate with my mouse - and the scrolling (one finger up and down and super-sensitive) on the magic mouse is awesome - preferable for me to the 2-finger scrolling on the trackpad. I thought I'd have the mouse on the right and trackpad on the left (where it does actually sit, but I don't use it there) but no, I use my mouse 98% of the time.

I just adjusted some settings on the trackpad to see if I can get it more usable, but for me and my usage (on an 8-megapixel canvas) the mouse is highly preferable.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I recently got the magic trackpad and love it.

I think the trackpad may be the way to go in the future. I remember watching the keynote presentation when they introduced Lion and how to guy demonstrating was not having the easiest time using finger gestures on the mouse (it's doable, there's just not as much surface space).

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Maybe I should note that I don't plan on using mine fulltime - Only as an addition to my mouse, for Exposé. Since it isn't an option not to have a mouse/track pad with the buy, I might as well get it. Apples other mice are crap anyway..

12. smali macrumors regular

I can see this being the start of the phasing out of traditional mice altogether from apple computers anyways. I wouldn't be surprised, of all the lovely things apple has designed, a mouse hasn't been one of them.

13. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

I have a Logitech G5 Laser that I like very much that I am going to use with the iMac - I use a laptop for work and had one personally (not macs) and am used to the slow response from them - hoping the Apple Trackpad is a little more responsive

I thought about getting both but I am going to leave the mouse for now - one set of gestures in addition to the iPhone is enough for my wife to learn :D :eek: :p

14. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

The Magic Mouse is pretty awkward with more than one finger. Magic Trackpad FTW

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I would get both. I already have both though. I use the Magic Trackpad most of the time except when I need precision. Then I'll use the Magic Mouse.

16. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Has to be the magic trackpad. As good as apple are at making trackpads, that's how bad they are at making mice.

17. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Giving my thread a bump since I can't decide whether to order my iMac online with the Magic Trackpad or just go to the Apple Store and pick up a standard set since I'm impatient.

18. archer75 macrumors 65816

some people have gone into the apple store and requested the trackpad in place of the mouse, as you can do online, and were just giving the trackpad and got to keep the mouse.

It's worth a shot.

19. scottp78 macrumors member

I also went with the Track PAD!!! I hate apples mouse. I have used logitch mouse when needed!!

20. wirelessness macrumors 6502

Trackpad for the Win!!!

Really though, the Trackpad really works well.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Definitely go with the trackpad as Lion will be using it heavily. Logitech mice are a heck of a lot better anyway.

22. yustas macrumors regular

Does Magic Tackpad work in Windows 7? I'm planning on running Windows 7 using Parallels. How do I right click in Windows using the pad?

23. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I am voting for neither.

Sorry, but you can't beat the classic mighty mouse, regardless of its problems its still as comfortable and as useable as it ever was : )

24. hifoo45 macrumors member

If you already have a mouse you prefer I'd go with the trackpad. The magic mouse will most likely not be a better experience than the mouse you already have, but the trackpad will give an entirely new experience out side of the "mouse"

Also, you should be able to use the track pad and your mouse hand in hand if you wanted to switch between. If you are looking through your photos you can quickly switch to the trackpad to swipe and pinch. Then straight back to your mouse when wanting to be more precise like in gaming or photo editing.

25. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

If you're running in Parallels, the track pad is still controlled by OS X. There is a setting for the trackpad (not checked by default) that sets a 2 finger tap as the secondary mouse click - aka Right click. if you set that, then it will work in Windows under Parallels as well. It works so well in fact that I stopped using Bootcamp and went VM exclusively because the trackpad gestures worked the same in both environments (for the most part - Windows won't seem to recognize a sideways swipe).