Off contract, iPhone 4 or 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vampireszombies, Jan 3, 2012.

1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I'll be buying an iPhone off contract.
    Everywhere I've been looking to purchase: ebay, amazon etc. the iPhone 4 is about $100 cheaper on average.

I've had the 4 in the past.
    So would the 4S be worth the extra $100?
    The only thing I can see that would be worth it to me is the improved camera.
    But to be future proof with software I can see why the 4S would be smarter,
    Although I'll most likely be upgrading to the next iPhone anyways so future proof might not be such a big deal.

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I would go for the iPhone 4S. In addition to the camera you get a faster dual core processor (which sometimes makes a difference in third-party apps and a big difference in Safari) as well. Another nice thing is that the antenna problems, which you might experience if using the GSM iPhone 4, has been fixed in the iPhone 4S. You also get Siri, which is pretty useful in my opinion, but a lot of people see it as a gimmick.

If you'd rather spend the extra $100 somewhere else, just pick up the iPhone 4, but iPhone 4S is definitely better.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you plan on upgrading later on the 4S will get you more money then a 4

4. blue22 macrumors 6502a

blue22

save money, go with a 3GS for now...

If you're really certain to upgrade to the newest iPhone later this year (more than likely debuting this Sept/Oct) then I would suggest not getting the 4S or even the 4, but rather go with a 3GS to hold your over in the meantime. Sure, there's some speed tradeoffs, but it's a temporary solution that's more cost effective upfront and is not going to potentially cost you $1000 spent in total on handsets by year's end, right? Just a thought.

Also, curiously, which carrier are you going to go "non-contract" with?

5. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats a good point, and then I can give the 3GS to my little brother afterward whos been wanting an iOS device anyways.

The carrier I will be/currently using is AT&T.
    (I never experienced antenna issues with the 4)

6. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the iPhone 4 handle iOS 5 just as well as the 4S?

I can get a 32GB 4 for $100 less than a 16GB 4S... its such a hard choice.

7. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

For $100 difference, it's a no brainer to get the 4S. Much better resale value when the time comes.

Are you sure you can get a 4S for only $100 more? From what I've seen, it would be $150 minimum and more likely at least $200 more.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I was messing around with an iPhone 4 a few days ago (mind you, I have a 4S) and the speed differences became fairly obvious.

For $100, get a 4S. If the price difference is really high, then a 4 will be good enough.

10. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah sorry, the 4 is about $350-420 (in good/new condition, i wont take less) and the 4S is going for about $540-570 sealed new.

Still worth the difference?