Off-Duty Black Police Officer Racially Profiled, Assaulted By Group Of Cops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Dec 13, 2014.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Even black cops are not safe from white cops

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/1...ly-profiled-assaulted-by-group-of-cops-video/
    Harold Thomas said in an interview with New York’s ‘NotJustUs‘.

A decorated officer who had worked for the New York City Police Department for nearly three decades, Harold Thomas became a victim of racial profiling and police brutality.

Thomas and his friend had been celebrating a friend’s birthday at La Marina, a night club located in the city’s Washington Heights District. As he exited the club, making his way to his parked Cadillac Escalade, the off-duty police officer was approached by another NYPD cop, Andrew Ali.

Ali told Thomas that his SUV matched the description one reported at a ‘shots fired’ call earlier in the day. Thomas informed Ali that he was a police officer. He presented his badge and his police ID. An official police plaque was displayed prominently in the window of the SUV.

Two more officers approached the scene, James McKenna and Paul Montali. Again, Thomas identified himself as an off duty police officer and presented his ID.

Instead of apologizing and going on the way, the third officer became physically violent.

“[The third cop] spins me around, slams my head on the roof of my car, made a dent in the car, grabbed me by the seat of my pants, throws me head first,”

Thomas said during an interview with PIX 11 in Washington Heights, which aired on December 10, 2014. From there, things got worse.

The incident was captured on video. Some of the footage can be seen in this exclusive PIX 11 interview with Thomas.

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Addicting info.com is a bit of a biased rag site. That doesn't mean what happened to Thomas should be ignored. But here's another article on the incident. It's a little more informative. You'll notice some conflicting pieces of fact too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-driving-washington-heights-article-1.1135400

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

No word on the 3 thugs getting arrested or even fired

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

You mean because you already know the whole story? Wow, this is amazing.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

I saw that on TV the other night.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's yet another he said/she said situation. Who's the one doing the ass covering and lying here? The detective, who allegedly was pulled over for drunk driving, tried to get out of it by flashing his badge, then became argumentative when things didn't go his way? Or was it the police, who profiled him, went too far, then slapped him a bunch of false charges to justify what they did?

There's one easy way to find out: find out where it all took place? If it was in the La Marina parking lot, then more than likely it's the cops who are lying. The detective said they jumped him while he was walking back to his vehicle. And really, how could they pull someone over for a DUI when they weren't even operating the vehicle? But if he were a few blocks away from La Marina when the whole thing went down, then chances are good he's the one lying.

Plus there's the whole video, with his kid screaming "he's a cop! he's a cop". That looks pretty damning, at least on the surface.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Cops show up investigating shots fired but they arrest him for drunk driving? Retired cop was not even in the car. He had just departed the restaurant :mad:

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Wait, you do? Or are you just blindly defending the thugs with badges because you are a cop as well?

All these stories about the NYPD lately are just another reason why I'll never set foot in the orwellian cesspool that is known as New York. What a dump with the most corrupt "police" force in this country.

"As Thomas said, however, if they did this to him, ‘the average Joe doesn’t stand a chance.’ Someone with a less than spotless record, few resources and not a single friend in high places would serve years in prison under the same circumstances. That’s if he wasn’t gunned down in the street first."

That's the quote from the #2 ranked guy in the NYPD who is backing the story of the guy who was assaulted by his fellow JBTs. It's pretty clear at this point the NYPD should be gutted and rebuilt from scratch with competent management and training instead of the current good-old-boys thug network that goes on right now.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Simple solution: look at the footage from the body-cams on the police.

Oh wait...

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

We've think we've gone so far, yet more and more of the police violence keeps oozing out, like pus from a sore. Time to put cameras on all police officers, we cannot rely on their word any more.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I completely agree, but what I always think.

If Americans who are given special powers (i.e.. police) over others behave like this in their OWN country, just imagine how they behave when they are abroad.(US Military)

The CIA using torture, the NSA spying on just about everybody, Drone killings (Also on US citizens without due process).

The Patriots Act, and now a police force who act like law unto themselves.

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Are off duty police officers legally allowed to refuse a breathalyzer after getting pulled over?

I know here they can force you take a field sobriety test even if you get pulled over for having a "broken out tail light" that wasn't broken before you got pulled over.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You can resist unlawful arrest ,and you can refuse a breathalyzer. Why the hell would he need a breathalyzer when the man was not driving? How do they go from investigating a shoot out to a breathalyzer?

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's very rare for cops to screw with one of their own. Gotta be more to this story.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well he was BLACK.

16. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

And you're nothing but a blind thug (cop) defender.

----------

This story reminds me of this video.

If the undercover cop were white, the white cop who pulled him over would have let him go the moment he saw his badge.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

They smelled alcohol on the persons breath?
    In my state you can get a DWI if the police find you drunk in the car with the keys even if the engine is cold and you said you were not driving...

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Source?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So a Dui takes over the shots fired investigation? Who gives a crap if the guy smelled like alcohol? He was NOT INSIDE the truck , he had just exited the restaurant

20. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

https://www.alaskabar.org/servlet/content/law_enforcement.html

"Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
    What is driving under the influence?
    You probably know that you can be arrested for driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. But there is more! You can also be charged with DUI if you are operating a boat or an aircraft while under the influence of an inhalant (“huffing”) or controlled substance (roughly, any illegal drug or a legal drug taken without a prescription). Furthermore, even if you do not feel impaired, you can be guilty of this crime if your blood alcohol measures more than .08 percent (80 milligrams or more of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood, or .08 grams or more of alcohol per 210 liters of breath). You should also know that you are considered to be “operating a vehicle” if you are in control of the vehicle, even if you are not driving it. For example, you could be convicted of this crime if you are sitting in the driver’s seat with the keys between the seats. You can read more about DUI and other alcohol-related crimes in Section 2 of this Guide."

----------

It appears there are differing view points of exactly what happened. One reports say he got into his vehicle.

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Yes, and there's any number of ways that could happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think DUI charge was filed. He's only facing the resisting and refusal to take the breathalyzer.

Please read my first post again, that should answer your question.

Not that this thread deserves much attention, but this post and a few others are disgusting and disappointing. The original post was a link to a clearly biased report. I posted a real news article that covers a more broad view of what happened. Perhaps the cops did something wrong but maybe they didn't. It is clear there's more to the story than the link in the original post.

I wish some people would try to gather more information before jumping to conclusions. Crying misconduct at every story only undermines and diminishes the actual cases.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Per link on post 1. Charges seemed to have been dropped

23. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thank you. The NY Daily News article in the second post indicates that too.

24. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

What's disappointing and disgusting are those who blindly defend these thugs with badges in the guise of "there's more to this story".

Look, we live in a police state and it's obvious that cops are poorly trained when they act like thugs and shoot first in practically EVERY encounter.

What's worse than a thug with a badge? A citizen who chooses to be blind and defends these despicable excuses for human beings.

25. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Hussein will call a press conference, pick a side, drive a wedge in and everyone will be happy. He can fix anything.