Off to NYC in few weeks, any tips on where to go?how to go?etc

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
398
0
B'ham Uk
Well after years of wanting to go, have finally come into some money that will allow me to get to NYC. Now am looking to go early-mid July (the hotest time so I've heard) or early September.

First, what shoud I do, other than the obvious. Will of course be doing the usual things but wondering what you recommed other than the usual tourist stuff - Empire state, statue of liberty,and being a shopoholic will be spending most of my time hittin the stores.

And any other tips, or advise? Wat are the typical store opening hours? Also, are there any public holidays during those months that might affect my visit.

And finally! What are the best broadway shows to see?

And of course anything else you might wana add,

Cheers,

Jon
 

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
1,401
0
CO
john_satc said:
Well after years of wanting to go, have finally come into some money that will allow me to get to NYC. Now am looking to go early-mid July (the hotest time so I've heard) or early September.

First, what shoud I do, other than the obvious. Will of course be doing the usual things but wondering what you recommed other than the usual tourist stuff - Empire state, statue of liberty,and being a shopoholic will be spending most of my time hittin the stores.

And any other tips, or advise? Wat are the typical store opening hours? Also, are there any public holidays during those months that might affect my visit.

And finally! What are the best broadway shows to see?

And of course anything else you might wana add,

Cheers,

Jon
Hey I'm going to NYC in early June! I'm going to see Chicago on Broadway and scored tickets to a New York Yankes / Boston Red Sox game too! But I'd like some other advice on what else to do too! Thanks!
 

Gnorn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
104
0
The Tavern, Thornwood
Maybe visit Apple's new flagship store? :rolleyes: ;)

Oh yes, when I was in NY with my dad, we took the Circle Line ferry all the way around Manhattan. That was pretty cool (and relaxing).

We also visited the Yankees store on 42nd street, to buy a Yankees cap (can't visit NY and NOT buy such a cap, now can you?) :)
 

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
2,707
1
Don't forget to get an "I <heart> NYC!" t-shirt! :)

Just in case... Labor Day is the first Monday in September. Not sure if you're planning on being in NYC around then, but that should only increase the amount of tourists rather than close anything down.

If you're there on a weekend and are a chocoholic I'd recommend going to Seppi's for Sunday brunch. The chocolate is divine and the food is good--worth the price.

They tend to have free concerts in Central Park during the summer so you may want to check that out if you're interested.

As far as shows... I've heard "Wicked" is pretty good. "Urine Town" is hilarious--even more so if you have knowledge of other broadway shows. I'm not sure if that one's showing. "Stomp" is good, too, if you like percussion. Other good ones I've seen (but not sure if they're still playing)... "Seussical the Musical", "Oklahoma", and "Mama Mia" (was okay--good if you're a big ABBA fan).
 
john_satc said:
Well after years of wanting to go, have finally come into some money that will allow me to get to NYC. Now am looking to go early-mid July (the hotest time so I've heard) or early September.

First, what shoud I do, other than the obvious. Will of course be doing the usual things but wondering what you recommed other than the usual tourist stuff - Empire state, statue of liberty,and being a shopoholic will be spending most of my time hittin the stores.

And any other tips, or advise? Wat are the typical store opening hours? Also, are there any public holidays during those months that might affect my visit.

And finally! What are the best broadway shows to see?

And of course anything else you might wana add,

Cheers,

Jon
to your specfic questions. shops open @ 10 am, except sundays which is usually 11 or Noon. The week of the 4th of July all hotels will be ridiculously EXPENSIVE. Visit after.

BRING TRAVELER'S CHECKS!!!!
All the shops take credit cards & so do really high end restaurants but most of the better downtown "local" places (which have more reasonable entree prices $18-$30) to eat are cash only.

Usually I stay w/ my friends, but you can get some great bargains. You should bargain hunt the really high end places, Waldorf, Sofitel etc. They're right in the heart of the city and sometimes the prices are incredibly good (last year I stayed @ the Sofitel for 150 / night). --definately worth a couple of hours on the internet. Holiday Inn or even Days Inn are totally fine usually pretty cheap.

Central Park on Sunday mornings is usually a fun place to be.
The Carnegie Deli (a touristy but a real NYC experience) on 7th AVE (btwn 54 -55th street) will serve you a sandwhich bigger than your head, and a pickle the size of your lung. They also have some pretty good cheesecake. (meals are a/b $25-30 per person)

Make sure you go to a diner for breakfast. Ask for a good one in the lobby of your hotel. Good ones are all over the city.

Oh, you probably won't here the phrase "Last orders, please!" feel like a pint of bitter @ 4 am, walk out of your hotel and pick a bar. Mazel Tov!

hmmm. you said you know about the shopping but I'll just recommend the SOHO area over 5th Avenue. Mostly b/c the flow of pedestrians there is another very NYC experience. DO NOT PUT YOUR WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET. unless you like getting robbed. Ok, I have to run. Hope this helps.
 

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
398
0
B'ham Uk
Boggle said:
to your specfic questions. shops open @ 10 am, except sundays which is usually 11 or Noon. The week of the 4th of July all hotels will be ridiculously EXPENSIVE. Visit after.

BRING TRAVELER'S CHECKS!!!!
All the shops take credit cards & so do really high end restaurants but most of the better downtown "local" places (which have more reasonable entree prices $18-$30) to eat are cash only.

Usually I stay w/ my friends, but you can get some great bargains. You should bargain hunt the really high end places, Waldorf, Sofitel etc. They're right in the heart of the city and sometimes the prices are incredibly good (last year I stayed @ the Sofitel for 150 / night). --definately worth a couple of hours on the internet. Holiday Inn or even Days Inn are totally fine usually pretty cheap.

Central Park on Sunday mornings is usually a fun place to be.
The Carnegie Deli (a touristy but a real NYC experience) on 7th AVE (btwn 54 -55th street) will serve you a sandwhich bigger than your head, and a pickle the size of your lung. They also have some pretty good cheesecake. (meals are a/b $25-30 per person)

Make sure you go to a diner for breakfast. Ask for a good one in the lobby of your hotel. Good ones are all over the city.

Oh, you probably won't here the phrase "Last orders, please!" feel like a pint of bitter @ 4 am, walk out of your hotel and pick a bar. Mazel Tov!

hmmm. you said you know about the shopping but I'll just recommend the SOHO area over 5th Avenue. Mostly b/c the flow of pedestrians there is another very NYC experience. DO NOT PUT YOUR WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET. unless you like getting robbed. Ok, I have to run. Hope this helps.
Cheers, thanks for being so helpful! I'm gonna look into staying at Waldorf or somewhere similar if its cheap.wud be nice experience! And yeah I do want to experience a real american dinner, see if there as good as people make them out. And im 18 so doubt will be getting any beers anyway.

Yeah I have been reading around and seems regards saftey in NYC you just have to use common sense, I live in a big city now so used to playin it safe.
 

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
1,874
1
Madison, Alabama
john_satc said:
Cheers, thanks for being so helpful! I'm gonna look into staying at Waldorf or somewhere similar if it's cheap.
Heh. Well, if you consider the Waldorf a "cheap" place to stay, you'll do just fine in New York. ;)

Most of the decent hotels in New York are pretty expensive, but then again, most everything in New York is pretty expensive. My wife and I usually stay at the Roosevelt Hotel, at 45th & Madison. It's a nice place to stay, and is within walking distance of Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and a lot of places to shop.

There's an OK diner further downtown called the Cooperstown Diner. I want to say it's down around 17th St. and 1st Ave. but I can't quite remember. Actually, I hope some people who know the city better will give you some diner recommendations for the next time that we go. ;)
 

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
2,064
6
Location: Location:
john_satc said:
Cheers, thanks for being so helpful! I'm gonna look into staying at Waldorf or somewhere similar if its cheap.wud be nice experience! And yeah I do want to experience a real american dinner, see if there as good as people make them out. And im 18 so doubt will be getting any beers anyway.

Yeah I have been reading around and seems regards saftey in NYC you just have to use common sense, I live in a big city now so used to playin it safe.
The bartenders in NYC are pretty loose and you shouldnt have a real problem getting drinks. Just as long as you dont look 15 of course. If they ask for ID then just play "lost tourist" and say you forgot it at the hotel;) You can also pick up a six pack at any local bodega pretty easily too.

NYC is the safest large city in the US and I belive #10 or so out of all US cities. It is leaps and bounds safer than it was 15 years ago. You shouldnt really worry at all as long as your in Manhattan. All the bad stuff you hear about NYC doesnt really apply any more. Your gonna love it. Once they cleaned out the really bad areas in the late 80's and early 90's its been a completely different place. Thanks Dinkens and Guilianni;)

There are so many good restaurants here that I cant even know where to start. The Diners are great if you like yummy greasy food, and really, who doesnt?

Just be sure to try to venture downtown and out of midtown to see some "real" New York away from the tourest area. Check out the Union Square area and Greenwich Village just below it. SOHO is also a good visit but a bit pretentious.
 

Gnorn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
104
0
The Tavern, Thornwood
When my dad and I visited NY, we stayed in a private apartment. The guy living there would stay at a friends house for the time (just a way to make a few extra bucks). It was very cheap, and the location was superb, not far from Times Square (9th and 56). There was an agency which acted as intermediar (sp?). All this was a few months prior to 9/11. I guess with the drop in visitors just after that, these private housings aren't offered anymore? (Atleast not that my dad or I can find out about).

Anyhow, if you're a movie fan, there are a lot of places to visit. You can get flyers showing movie locations throughout NY. We for example visited the firehouse of Hook and Ladder no. 8 (where Ghostbusters was filmed). This is in Tribeca.

We haven't experienced any crime whilst in Manhattan, be it day or night. I even felt very safe, even when visiting high risk objects, like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State or the WTC. And even though I thought about the '93 bombings a few times.

The worst thing happening to us was a bum, who approached us whilst we where at a busstop and looking at a map. He showed us the way and then boarded the bus with us. He didn't stop harrasing us for money (which ofcourse he didn't get). Yeah, I think the bums are the biggest annoyance.
 

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
398
0
B'ham Uk
well thanks everyone for the tips!

got a quick question thought, I know I will have to get adaptors for the plugs when I am over there, but I also heard that the electrical system is differnent? or am I just really confused :confused:
 

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
4,063
334
All you need is a copy of Time Out New York and a Metrocard for the subway. And oh yeah, cash, and lots of it. :D
 

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
2,087
3
Chicago, IL
Nothing to do with AC/DC, the US using AC current just like the rest of the world. The difference is the voltage. The US (and Canada I believe) use 120v in their electrical outlets while Europe uses 240? The plug shape is also different.

Depending what you have you may or may not need a voltage converter. Check the electronics you use, on their power adapter if it says somewhere 120-240v then you are good and just need a plug shape adapter for it. If not then you need an expensive voltage converter. I find most anything with a power-brick is auto-switching and so you don't need the converter, but check so you don't fry your gear.
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,243
466
NY
For shows. i love phantom of the opera or the lion king. I've also heard good things about Wicked (which is right across the street from my favorite Restaurants "The palm steak house" (i think)
Also check out Dylan's candy bar. Its a fun candy store. Also Before or after Dylan's you can go to Serendipity 3. THeir famous for their frozen hot chocolate (i'm not a fan) and other kickbuttt desserts...but the lines are ridiculous so go plan ahead. I also think they take reservations.
 

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
398
0
B'ham Uk
yippy said:
Nothing to do with AC/DC, the US using AC current just like the rest of the world. The difference is the voltage. The US (and Canada I believe) use 120v in their electrical outlets while Europe uses 240? The plug shape is also different.

Depending what you have you may or may not need a voltage converter. Check the electronics you use, on their power adapter if it says somewhere 120-240v then you are good and just need a plug shape adapter for it. If not then you need an expensive voltage converter. I find most anything with a power-brick is auto-switching and so you don't need the converter, but check so you don't fry your gear.
So will the apple world travel adaptor be ok to use with my ipod?
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,892
30
Northern Virginia

alphabravo

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
6
0
Last time I went to NYC was in February.

It was damn cold, right in the middle of Winter, although not as cold as other years.

Whenever I go to NYC I usually stay at the Waldorf, a normal room is about 299 a night on those months. As someone mentioned above, if you are looking for the best location, the Waldorf is a must, you can almost walk to every place you want.

Let me give you some sort of examples:

Grand Central Train Station...its about 5 mins, you can go drink a coffee inside and take a look into that incredible landmark.

To Time Square ( straight on 52nd I believe) its no more than 15 mins (walking), you pass right next to the Rockefeller Center, the NBC Building, etc.

SoHo (where the Apple Store is), its about 10 minutes (by cab).

The Met ( Metropolitan Museum of Art - it is definitely a must if you go to NYC, but be advised it can take DAYS to see everything inside the museum - admission is something like 20 bucks - dont get fooled by people that will tell you that you can go and just leave a donation instead of paying :p), if you go walking, from the Waldorf, it's about 35-40 minute walk, but it is really interesting, since you can take 5th avenue, pass threw all the stores then get to central park (right were the Plaza is) and continue straight forward half- down central park and there is the Met - you even pass right next to Pulitzer's House.

What else...emm...

Well, the Financial District is also interesting to see, although after 9/11 you cant enter the NYSE Building. Also, in Lower Manhattan you can go check Ground Zero.

The UN Bulding, you can schedule tours and all that somewhere in the Visitor Complex Building.

Battery Park/Statue of Liberty, you take a ferry somewhere in Lower Manhattan.

And If you have the time, remember NYC is much more than Manhattan, go take a look to Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Roosevelt Island, etc.


If you want to know anything else just ask.. :)
 

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
398
0
B'ham Uk
alphabravo said:
Last time I went to NYC was in February.

It was damn cold, right in the middle of Winter, although not as cold as other years.

Whenever I go to NYC I usually stay at the Waldorf, a normal room is about 299 a night on those months. As someone mentioned above, if you are looking for the best location, the Waldorf is a must, you can almost walk to every place you want.

Let me give you some sort of examples:

Grand Central Train Station...its about 5 mins, you can go drink a coffee inside and take a look into that incredible landmark.

To Time Square ( straight on 52nd I believe) its no more than 15 mins (walking), you pass right next to the Rockefeller Center, the NBC Building, etc.

SoHo (where the Apple Store is), its about 10 minutes (by cab).

The Met ( Metropolitan Museum of Art - it is definitely a must if you go to NYC, but be advised it can take DAYS to see everything inside the museum - admission is something like 20 bucks - dont get fooled by people that will tell you that you can go and just leave a donation instead of paying :p), if you go walking, from the Waldorf, it's about 35-40 minute walk, but it is really interesting, since you can take 5th avenue, pass threw all the stores then get to central park (right were the Plaza is) and continue straight forward half- down central park and there is the Met - you even pass right next to Pulitzer's House.

What else...emm...

Well, the Financial District is also interesting to see, although after 9/11 you cant enter the NYSE Building. Also, in Lower Manhattan you can go check Ground Zero.

The UN Bulding, you can schedule tours and all that somewhere in the Visitor Complex Building.

Battery Park/Statue of Liberty, you take a ferry somewhere in Lower Manhattan.

And If you have the time, remember NYC is much more than Manhattan, go take a look to Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Roosevelt Island, etc.


If you want to know anything else just ask.. :)

Thanks for all the advice dude! Well helpful thanks!
Jon