Off topic but related to our forum

Project Alice

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
So this is probably against forum rules, however there is a specific audience that this is meant for and you all are only on this forum.

I have been a member of MR since 2008, and I’ve basically always posted only in the PPC forum. Mainly because I didn’t get an Intel Mac until around 2011.
Anyways, I’ve noticed a trend. And this is partly my fault because I have zero patience (that’s what happens when you work in Law Enforcement, lol). I ALWAYS get into an argument in the other forums on here. And they almost always begin with the other person being rude, or at least coming off that way. My natural response is to take it to the next level.

Its to the point that I don’t even want to look at any of the other forums. Nobody will have a civilized conversation with you if you don’t have the same opinion. Whenever my opinion differs from theirs, it seems like they go on the immediate offensive, and I’m the idiot for having a differing opinion.

I’ve seen a few of you make similar comments about this happening. I’m just curious if this is something the rest of you agree (or disagree) with or have noticed. I rarely find another member of our section commenting in any of the other sections and I have a feeling this may be why.

We have our own little island in this section, that sorta feels unmoderated mainly because we usually don’t need it here. And the time we did it took forever to get action. Anytime I report a post elsewhere, usually for provoking me, it is ignored. But the second I reciprocate in the childish argument my comment gets deleted.
None of this is ever a problem in this section. We are all usually respectful and if there’s a disagreement we look for the facts to find the answer, and are always humble when proven wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I'm fairly active in the iPhone forum, and the Community Discussion forum. I also check the Jailbreak forum every day, but don't post there much any more. I stay out of the Politics forum because you don't even get the benefit of adding to your post count in there.

I make liberal use of the Ignore User feature, but I do have a lot of forum friends that are outside of this section. Some of them even scan our posts.

As far as moderation…well, there are at least two mods I know that watch this forum because they also have an interest.

Project Alice

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I'm fairly active in the iPhone forum, and the Community Discussion forum. I also check the Jailbreak forum every day, but don't post there much any more. I stay out of the Politics forum because you don't even get the benefit of adding to your post count in there.

I make liberal use of the Ignore User feature, but I do have a lot of forum friends that are outside of this section. Some of them even scan our posts.

As far as moderation…well, there are at least two mods I know that watch this forum because they also have an interest.
I check the iOS 14 forum pretty much everyday. I’ve never had a problem there either.

I’m not super active anywhere on here, especially in the summer time. But I’ve been on here more the past couple days. Hard to enjoy the last month of warm weather when it’s so smokey out you can’t see past like a few yards.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
This is one of the best forums I've ever been on honestly. There's barely ever any drama and if there is it gets resolved and forgotten quickly for the most part. The rest of the site sometimes feels like the wild west compared to this subforum. Most people here accept being wrong and help each other out whenever they can. It's so nice.

Totally unrelated but @Project Alice how's the smoke up in north Idaho? Down here in Boise it's pretty hazy but not too nasty right now.

Windreader

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2019
Iowa
I would have to agree with you guys on this one. I have browsed this forum since 2014 or so (finally deciding to make an account much much later), checking everyday for the new advancements that our humble little community has pieced together. The amount of fights and bitter disagreements that I have seen genuinely is refreshing and it is nice to have a little place where people aren't stomping on each other over the most smallest little things! Especially with all the strangeness in the world in this day and age, having good ole PowerPC Macs to chat about always is a beautiful thing. :)

I only wish that Dronecatcher was still hanging around here though!

Project Alice

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Totally unrelated but @Project Alice how's the smoke up in north Idaho? Down here in Boise it's pretty hazy but not too nasty right now.
It’s pretty bad. Today was slightly better, but not by much. It’s been in the hazardous zone for the air quality index. It looks like it has been extremely foggy for a couple days, except it smells like a camp fire.

Reactions: AL1630

z970mp

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The Matrix
@Project Alice I'm going to be honest; part of me misses the Jordan XP fiasco. It was a royal pain in the behind to deal with, but since this forum is usually so stable and smoothly functioning as-is, it was kind of fun to have this wild card suddenly thrown into the mix. I do hope he returns one day after having learned a thing or two about the subject matter, or at least refined discourse.

That said, my stance remains that I consider myself very lucky to have just as well stumbled upon such a well-structured community of people that isn't at all akin to your standard petty, contentious, and divided Internet forum of street guys that are such a dime-a-dozen sight these days.

Truly, this occurrence is a refreshing one, especially in these most troubled and volatile of times.

...Then again, another part of me wonders just how quickly our bonds would fall apart if modern politics were to ever enter the discussion...

In any case, cheers to everyone for a continued productive and dedicated gathering of the mechanically-inclined!

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
'(,,,,)°l°
I joined MacRumors in 2008 in the months leading up to my switch from awful Windows that summer when I bought a Mac Pro 3,1 and finally saw the light. That wonderful computer still does all the heavy lifting for my photography and works flawlessly.

Over the years I've received lots of very good help in the OS, Intel-Mac and iPhone fora. Though I haven't frequented them often enough to be aware of any conflict, I have occasionally seen snarly "troll-like" post in the threads.

It was only a few weeks ago that I began reading this particular forum because I had become interested in PowerPC. In hindsight it was a logical move on my part. In my photography I only use film and often with old to very old (1930's) cameras.

As a matter of principle, I really love that it is possible to keep using a good piece of equipment many years after it's been popularly declared obsolete by the Internet unintelligentsia.

So buying a PowerBook was a completely natural move for me (and I have since bought a second one...shhhh; oh where will this end... :) ).

I don't think one needs to be an internet veteran to notice that the PowerPC forum is different from other places, be it here at MacRumors and elsewhere. I have seen similarly calm and friendly subfora among those who elect to use film, this wonderful medium, and deliberately stand outside the digital upgrade hysteria that's wreaking photography these days.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that using old hardware requires a certain attitude an important part of which is patience, I don't know. I do know that patience is in short supply these days, everywhere. Anyway, there is most definitely a distinct difference.

Mark Twain was onto something when he said that "often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s." The risk of infected discussions is great when such topics are broached. I've seen in other places completely reasonable people behave in extreme ways and then become banned.

It's the filter of the Internet that causes this, of course. I believe that virtually every infected discussion would not have run the same destructive course had it been conducted face-to-face. Thankfully the world in general hasn't come that far yet along the path of divisiveness.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm really sad to say this - a few weeks ago I contacted him with regards to this matter and he replied that he's given up on the forum.
I also contacted @Dronecatcher recently about this too. IMHO his absence is a great loss to us all. His tips, tricks and workarounds have made a tremendous difference to the capabilities of my PPC Macs.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that using old hardware requires a certain attitude an important part of which is patience, I don't know. I do know that patience is in short supply these days, everywhere.
This, 100%. Patience is the difference. You simply cannot develop the knowledge and skills needed to successfully, enjoyably use this old hardware without it. And with that patience comes tolerance of opposing viewpoints and objectionable behavior... at least to some degree. Heck, even Jordan XP was patient; I think he just wanted to learn and to be in some sort of community. All he lacked was maturity, and that wasn't his fault - he was/is a kid.

In any event, we're not a bunch of oversensitive reactionaries in this forum, we've been known to put up with a lot from newcomers and sometimes from each other. But no one without patience lasts long around here. When someone without it comes around they tend to flare up when confronted and then leave. When one of us loses it, there's usually an apology somewhere down the line.

Too many people simply want what they want, want it now, and feel threatened at any suggestion that things are not as they wish. Their identity gets bound up in being right, and they can't brook the notion that they might be wrong. This is true in life at large, as much as it is true in one's choice of hobby or computing hardware. It's just not healthy.

RhianB

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Hmm, I personally enjoy dipping in the political forum from time to time and pull all of their identity politics, grievance culture, soyboy, anti capitalist, pro marxist, liberal strings. I consider it more of a public service in that without a dissenting American conservative opinion illustrating everything that is patently wrong with their constructed narrative of US history, Institutional oppression, hatred & grievance, they get lost down their rabbit hole destined to the hypnosis of their marxist leftist echo chamber.

I help my good friends over there remember the ideals that make the United States an amazing & inclusive (contrary to lefty belief) place to reside.

And with that I obviously try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to leave that out of this place and just talk shop.

Y’all have a great day.

Long live the Republic. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Raging Dufus

556fmjoe

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2014
I think this forum has far more humility than the other subforums. There are a lot of people I have run into elsewhere who have this odd obsession with trying to prove how smart they are or something rather than trying to help someone actually solve a problem. I have not seen that in the PPC forum at all.

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
So this is probably against forum rules, however there is a specific audience that this is meant for and you all are only on this forum.

I have been a member of MR since 2008, and I’ve basically always posted only in the PPC forum. Mainly because I didn’t get an Intel Mac until around 2011.
Anyways, I’ve noticed a trend. And this is partly my fault because I have zero patience (that’s what happens when you work in Law Enforcement, lol). I ALWAYS get into an argument in the other forums on here. And they almost always begin with the other person being rude, or at least coming off that way. My natural response is to take it to the next level.

Its to the point that I don’t even want to look at any of the other forums. Nobody will have a civilized conversation with you if you don’t have the same opinion. Whenever my opinion differs from theirs, it seems like they go on the immediate offensive, and I’m the idiot for having a differing opinion.

I’ve seen a few of you make similar comments about this happening. I’m just curious if this is something the rest of you agree (or disagree) with or have noticed. I rarely find another member of our section commenting in any of the other sections and I have a feeling this may be why.

We have our own little island in this section, that sorta feels unmoderated mainly because we usually don’t need it here. And the time we did it took forever to get action. Anytime I report a post elsewhere, usually for provoking me, it is ignored. But the second I reciprocate in the childish argument my comment gets deleted.
None of this is ever a problem in this section. We are all usually respectful and if there’s a disagreement we look for the facts to find the answer, and are always humble when proven wrong.
One thing members need to clearly understand when they use this site is that if you are critical of Apple in ANY way shape or form, you will end up on the recieving end of unwanted and unwarranted abuse. You'll get 'baited' into arguments where you will end up being punished for breaking some rule. It's frustrating when it happens but is a fact of life with regards to this forum. People have to live with it or move on to somewhere else.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
One thing members need to clearly understand when they use this site is that if you are critical of Apple in ANY way shape or form, you will end up on the recieving end of unwanted and unwarranted abuse. You'll get 'baited' into arguments where you will end up being punished for breaking some rule. It's frustrating when it happens but is a fact of life with regards to this forum. People have to live with it or move on to somewhere else.
Surely you are referring to other fora here on MR. Nothing could be further from the truth in the PowerPC forum. Apple catches hell in here on a regular basis, nobody gets punished for it.

TiggrToo

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Generalize much?

Reactions: I7guy

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
That seems to be more true in the iPhone forums (on this site). I've run across my share of fan boys on both sides (Apple/Android) and in each case there is really no use discussing the matter. Everyone has made up their minds so no matter what you say, it won't change anything.

I also don't engage if the discussion turns. You know it has turned when it becomes personal attacks instead of discussing the issues.

I think too, it's gotten less because more and more people are using multiple products, not just Apple. But the fanboys I just ignore.

retta283

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Definitely agree with this thread. I have found this to be the most "comfortable" section of the site, everyone here is genuine as far as I can see. I can definitely tell the difference when I jump between different forums on here, I for sure notice there's more humility here. IMO, I feel like posting in the News forum is where the most arguments happen, so I almost never post in there now (turned PRSI off a while ago).

Just seems like there's so many people wanting to be "right" about something and shove it in your face. When there are disagreements here, or someone gets something wrong and is corrected, it is usually done respectfully and both sides come out with something. I used to be a forum-hound in the late 90s/early 00s when it was still one of the main forms of Internet communication, and the PPC sections here reminds me more of the best elements of forums than the rest of site.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I totally agree and am very happy to have this very place of comfort in my daily routine where I can stop by and calm down a little. That being said I remember only three times since I joined where we really needed the mods. One was a discussion about wether something was abandonware and we are allowed to share it or not. Then there were some discussions with AmazingHenry that escalated a bit. And then there was the Jordan XP incident if I may call it like so. Correct me if my memory fails me and I’m wronging these people.

When comparing that to other forum sections here or other fora... I’m quite impressed by how well we all get along!

MacFoxG4

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2019
I agree with the OP and I am happy to be here too. I find people here to be much more chill than other internet forums I have been to. I came to this forum because I was looking for a place to discuss things like PPC OS X and just PPC Macs in general. I agree that this sub forum feels like its own community, almost separate from the rest of MacRumors. I occasionally read threads in the Intel section, but other than that I don't really participate in the rest of the MacRumors sub forums.

z970mp

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The Matrix
One thing I have noticed in many members here in the neighboring forums is that they are much more likely to come off as more... should I say... rough? And more prone to feel provoked. It's almost as if it was the difference between someone from New Jersey and someone from Hawaii, two very different places.

The fact that people can't seem to stop getting caught up in petty arguments and heated disagreements, not just on this site, but all over the Internet... I wonder if it has something to do with the mass infantilization of society going on now? It's almost a distinct characteristic in the modern digital age that most people be devoid of (as RD and Joe put it) patience, humility, and I would even argue intellectual honesty, which has no doubt played a big part in making politics the juggernaut destroyer of worlds it never was before, but is now. It seems as if everyone around you, family and friends included (that is if you have friends, which are not a given in this age, especially among the younger folk), has fallen into tribalism (which does have its place in the world - namely the family unit -, albeit not where it has been most commonly evidenced now) and blind social factions.

I wonder still, if thanks to the Internet largely replacing in-person groups and true friendships mostly during the 2010s, we as a collective people unconsciously sought to replace this need with something socially compatible albeit comparatively dangerous in the form of these modern faction politics and outright information warfare? Perhaps it is not so misguided to believe that the world, and especially America, wouldn't now be nearly ready to wholesale burst into flames if we as individuals did not feel so isolated and prone to direct these frustrations towards other, more unstable venues in lieu of the traditional medium.

This reminds me of a well-constructed video I saw a little while back. I think it largely hits the nail on the head, and is a relevant, wistful reminder of the current present we find ourselves in now and going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: dextructor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.