Office Suite and Entire Music Library on Mobile Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveForever, Jun 14, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Can Mobile Me be used to run ofice suite type software like word or excel?

Like Google Docs?

Seems this would be a very useful application for the iphone.

Also can you use it to swap over music or photos so you store your entire library of music on mobileme and then choose which songs you would like for a day and download them - Is this possible?

For me if it just does push email I wouldn't get it.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It should be possible to store up to 20gigs of music online with MobileMe. As far as downloading the songs that you would like to listen to that day goes, you probably won't be able to do that to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

google docs already exists for iphone, and no, thats not what mobileme is for, so it wont do that

nope, doubt it. it would be far too slow to do this, and put load on the servers

dont then ;) its not really worth it
    if you need push email, just set mail to autocheck for mail every minute. its not push, but as good as considering you then dont need to pay $100 for it :D

4. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

So in easy to understand terms why are people so excited about MobileMe.

If its just to sync your contacts, meetings and push email so what.

I would love a cloud based Hard disk where I could store and download my music or anything else.

Does Google Docs really work on iphone-I thought it didn't?

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The shortest interval an iPhone can auto check mail is 15 minutes. Plus pulling drains the battery. The push mail and instant calendar/contact syncing is worth it for me ($125 family pack on Amazon) considering reliable Exchange hosting starts at $7 a month. It depends on your needs.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

http://www.me.com

If there is nothing for you then mobileme is probably not for you. I am not planning to buy it.

7. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for teh me.com link-I had a look.

It says Works with the native applications you know.and Your web applications at me.com.

Why can't they offer an office suite web application? And to me native applications means say MSword etc?

If google can do docs why can't apple so one too?

Surely- MobileMe should do more than just email, contacts and meetings?

8. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I have the .mac membership and its more than just email. You also get your own webite and can access all your documents via Idisk.

9. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

If you were really that bothered for an answer you would have taken the time to actually look at the link somebody else gave you and read it all....and watch the video, seems you're expecting other people to do the work for you.

It isnt just those 3 things you quoted, go look, you'll see.......

10. mark34 macrumors 6502a

11. mark34 macrumors 6502a

the Me site says that it does indeed PUSH email. Is that correct or are they abusing the real meaning of the term?

12. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I have taken a look at Mobile Me- Ok if you have an imac or PC you can do more but I can see where Liveforever is coming from.

With the iphone mobileme just gives you push email, syncing calendar and contacts. Not much else, OK photos but with the 2Mp camera (or even if 5Mp on a mobile phone )not worth doing.

I would also like it to have a word processor suite like google docs. Seems too limited to me.

I have heard google docs DOESN'T work on the iphone-is this wrong then?

Hope there be a office suite launched on the app store-this could be a killer ap

13. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Without a PC or Mac, your iPhone is severely more useless than it not having office docs, my opinion :rolleyes:

14. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I DID go and look at the mobileme page but what I meant was that for the iphone it looks like it can only be used for push email, contacts, photos and calendar. I agree you can do more with a PC or Mac.

I would have liked to see macofficesuite on it that's all so I could work on a document on my iphone then finish it off on my mac or PC-that's all..

I am not being too lazy to look it up, just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

I'm sure mobileme is great but not for me it seems.

Apart from itunes why would my iphone be useless without a PC then?