officer beating 66-year-old man suffering from dementia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quest7, Jan 13, 2012.

1. quest7 macrumors member

quest7

WFTV obtained dash camera video of a violent police beating in Melbourne. The video shows an officer attacking a 66–year-old man who WFTV learned is suffering from dementia. In the video, Melbourne police Officer Derek Middendorf is shown giving Albert Flowers a front kick to his stomach. Middendorf then punched Flowers repeatedly while he was on the ground. In a report, Middendorf said Flowers walked towards him in an aggressive manner at a fast pace and he couldn't tell whether he had a knife in his hands.

Raw Dash Cam: Man beaten by Melbourne officer

Flowers' nephew, Garrick Flowers, said he yelled at the officer to stop and told him his uncle has dementia. "He's 66 years old, he had triple bypass, I think he's killing him," said Garrick Flowers. Flowers owns a lawn care business, and said an employee called the police because he said Flowers pulled a knife on him during a fight about money. When police arrived, the family said Flowers never pulled a knife and that the issue had been resolved. "Everything was taken care of. If he forgot, I was there to take care of whatever," said Garrick Flowers. The family said Middendorf was choking Flowers, and the video shows another officer running over and tasing Flowers in the face. The family said Flowers was hospitalized for close to a month. The officer turned off his video and audio equipment before the beating. The department was able to extract the video from the hard drive, but not the audio. The only disciplinary record the officer received for the incident was a written reprimand for turning off the recording equipment. Flowers was charged with battery on a law enforcement officer. "It's ridiculous. Clearly from this video there was no assault on a law enforcement officer. We asked for a speedy trial. We want a jury to see this video," attorney Paul Bross said. The police chief said he could not comment on the allegations of excessive force, because he had not yet seen the complaint, which was filed on Friday.

http://wap.wftv.com/wap/news/text.j...ith=0&title=Top+Stories&headtitle=Top+Stories

This is sad and a little frightening!

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Turning off the recording device, during your shift, should be an automatic dismissal.

These 'thugs' still exist within police departments, despite screening efforts, and they must be found-out and removed from duty.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

thats what these thug cops do ... the worst kind of bully

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Here is a better link. non mobile site. http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/video-shows-officer-beating-66-year-old-man-suffer/nGMgh/

raw video. The story puts in hind sight info. Remember hind site is 20/20.

http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/raw-officer-beating-man-with-dementia/vFmkG/

I agree in the official duties. I could think of times where turning it off would be acceptable but that would be say if you were talking to someone about something of a more personal nature. Say ones wife calls while a cop is on duty. There is ZERO reason for that call to be recorded. It is a private call and has nothing to do with the job so as such it ok. That or say he stop by were his wife is at work to ask her something or drop something off. Those are 2 example of where it is fine.

And before someone jumps on me for saying that it should not be done on duty. Tell me have you ever taken or made a personal call at work. I know I sure as hell have. Hell while on the job doing something for work I made a personal stop since I was in area and it was on the way. It prevent me from having to knock off early that day to stop by.

Really most of the time leaving on the recording stuff for cops can save their rear end.

After watching the video I will say the cop clearly made a poor judgement call but at the same token the prosecution would be very hard press to make any charges stick. The kick looked uncalled for but then again the view was blocked of the guy so no way to prove what the cop was saying is wrong. After that it most looks like the cop was trying to get control and the guy on his stomach so he would get hand cuffs on him. It was rough but I do not see anything that was big time out of line. He called for back up. They came and help. That part all seems by the book. It is the kick that is the biggest questionable call as everything else would fall in as by the book. So have to prove the kick was wrong and the cop blocks the view of that part.

Remember innoncent until proven other wise and this video does not prove anything but at most he made a bad judgement call.
    Some training might be in order.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I had my skeptical reservations when reading just the article as there is usually a biased stance against police in the news.

That video is very damning though. I would say appropriate punishment would be to strip him of his badge and penchant. Then hold him down and let the guys son beat him for five minutes.

I'm usually pro police. This guy was not acting like an officer of the law. Just a thug. He tried to disable the camera before confronting the guy. He intended to give him a beating.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yup.

----------

I was going to say that the story was BS because I had not read anything about it, and that news station does not exist in Melbourne (Australia).

Then I saw that this took place in Melbourne, Florida, USA, and felt a bit better. :p

And yes.......shutting off your camera should be an automatic dismissal, and perhaps even jail time. There's no reason to turn off your camera, so to me, it's quite an incriminating act, as it indicates that you're going to do something dodgy.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait a second- so beating a 66 year old with dementia is OK with you? You've got to be kidding me. There was nothing threatening here at all.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It never said it was but let's point out something you are forgetting about. Hindsight is 20/20. Just because I am not jumping all over the cop and pointing out the fact that it would be a very tall order to prove in court with the evidence on hand that the copyright is guilty of more than a very bad judgement call I approve of it? Sorry that is not the case
    So at the time the copyright would of know he was and older between 50 and 70 and was coming at him. Now we lack the audio but let's assume the cop told him to stop. The company could not of know about the dementia and could not of assumed that as those people can be very violent. I have seen staff at nursing home with black eyes from those patients.

Also everything would have to be based off the kids know and you would be hard pressed in court to prove that part as everything after the kick was by the book. Which was restraint and call for back up.

9. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Hindsight is hardly an excuse if you are a cop. If this cop wanted some legal protection for doing his job, he should have left the camera on. He blew it.

In our Australian deep south thirty years ago, the ruling conservative rural party had a policy of only employing cops with IQs under 100. Does Florida have a similar policy or is it just that the wages are crap?

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

Definitely. Personal calls as mentioned by another poster shouldn't even warrant turning it off - more like they shouldn't handle personal calls when on duty to begin with.

After watching the video, I guess I wouldn't have an issue with the kick if he just used it to "disarm" the man and then arrest him, but he goes on with sissy-slapping the old man and then smothering him with his fat body. Kind of super awkward.

11. quest7 thread starter macrumors member

quest7

Controversy is growing over a beating of a 66-year-old man by a police officer in Brevard County that was recorded by the officer's dashboard camera. After viewing the video, prosecutors said they changed the charges against Albert Flowers, who was beaten by Officer Derek Middendorf. Flowers was arrested on Friday and charged with felony battery, investigators said. However, prosecutors said they reduced his charges to a misdemeanor of resisting an officer without violence.

http://wap.wftv.com/wap/news/text.j...ith=1&title=Top+Stories&headtitle=Top+Stories

Huh, seriously?

12. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

That's just the way things roll in the land down under.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Hey, MattScott, it's already been established that this occurred in Melbourne, Florida. ;)

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

And I first thought Australia and wondered how rare something like that had to be. When I learned it was the good old USA, well, I was relieved. We need to keep up our image you know. The rest of the world expects it.

----------

He turned off that camera because he KNEW beforehand he was going to beat up a black man. There can be no other explanation. None.
    He should be fired and charged with assault and battery and lose his pension. Police need to be held to high standards, and this racist puke needs to pay.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Why is the 66-year old being prosecuted? Am I missing something here?

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Resisting an intentional police beating is a felony offence.

Hanging is too good for this elderly thug.

Mucho :rolleyes:'s.