Officer convicted in Oakland BART killing; city prepares for riots

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BittenApple, Jul 8, 2010.

1. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

CNN
    NYT
    Yahoo! News

YouTube Video of news report with actual the actual shooting

Angels warned by MLB of possible Oakland riots

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I smell another rodney king trial...... And riots

And this goes to PSRI...;) I think

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I was there - a tremendous community effort to keep the peace so far, with a few minor skirmishes around the fringe. We'll see what happens throughout the night, but Oscar Grant's family and lawyer have repeatedly called for no violence whatever the verdict, and so far it seems to be sticking.

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

definitely the wrong section of the forum...should be in PRSI

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I didn't even see a reason to taze the guy in the video, so the "mix up" of gun and tazer never should have happened.

How much resistance can a handcuffed guy on his stomach give?

This whole incident is sickening.

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

My sentiments exactly. I did not see the guy put up any physical resistance when I watched the videos after the incident. He was up against a wall sitting down, then he was pushed face down on the floor. It seems the officers, well at least one of them was on a power trip, decided to use his taser to show him who the boss is and ended up killing him.

7. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

It was surreal seeing the mass exodus--not just from Downtown Oakland, but from Downtown San Francisco--today.

SF Chronicle has a well-written editorial on the verdict:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/08/EDU01EBK43.DTL&tsp=1

It's in support of the verdict, but it's a must-read even if you disagree because it provides some context as to why the jury went with involuntary manslaughter.

I'd be surprised if he didn't get the maximum sentence of 14 years or close to it, given the circumstances in this case. (Normally involuntary manslaughter carries a 2-4 year sentence, but the jury added a "gun enhancement" to the charge, which bumps the sentence to 5-14 years.)

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Sounds like he got pissed off and executed a prisoner. The guy deserved at least 14 years if not more, the odds of pulling your gun aiming and firing all without recognizing that you hold a gun not a tazer. Bloody unlikely.

9. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

He would deserve the full sentence if he had been an ordinary citizen when he murdered that boy. However he was a cop, trusted to serve and protect, and granted powers and rights above an ordinary citizen because of a trust the public must have with the police. He not only murdered someone in cold blood but violated a basic trust that holds society together. As a result of this he deserves nothing less than a death sentence. The crime he committed was worse than treason.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It blows my mind that you can shoot someone dead in circumstances like this and only go to jail for 2 years.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He certainly needed to be convicted of something.

The problem here is that you can't prove intent... and we hate to hold cops accountable.

So it's probably about all we could expect.

At least they didn't acquit him.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Very difficult to say whether or not he "deserved to be tased," as someone mentioned earlier, but I wouldn't argue that... you can't tell though that video how much of a fight he was putting up... and really it's up to the cop's on discretion in that regard. Remember, cops often have to use tasers, etc. to avoid a situation escalating further. I would not argue the policeman's use of a taser.

"Switching up a taser and gun" would be a HUGE freaking mistake if that is what happened. Jesus.

If the jury/judge found that it was indeed a mistake and the officer did not intentionally shoot him, he should immediately be made to lose his job without the ability to be rehired, he should go to jail for manslaughter... but I think the years should be more than 2-4, due to the unique nature of the crime.

If he intentionally shot the kid, then that is perhaps one of the most disgusting things I have seen in my entire life... the situation looked generally under control. If so, he should go to prison for the rest of his life, and although I don't support it and don't know the laws of that particular state, should be made eligible for the death penalty.

Hopefully the jury came to the right decision as far as the 'switch-up'. I guess we'll never know for sure. I think the sentence should have been longer though regardless. Although manslaughter is a difficult thing... I know a guy who accidentally ran over a biker while driving, killing the biker. He stopped, tried to save him, couldn't, but I think that man sentenced himself to a lifetime of suffering... more than any of his time spent in jail could have given him.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

At least he was convicted.

I don't see why someone in handcuffs on the floor possibly needs tazing, even if they are calling your mother a whore.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I still don't understand how you can mistake a tazer for a gun. Unless this cop fired without actually looking, there is no way to mistake the two!

Throw the book at him.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It seems highly suspicious to me, its not like he just pulled the weapon and fired. He pulls the weapon re-adjusts his position seems to take aim and fires. Doing all of those things without noticing that you have pulled a gun??

His reaction after shooting the kid doesn't seem quite right either, doesn't appear to be startled by the gun-shot. He also very quickly and calmly re-holsters the weapon, as though he knows exactly where it goes.

I think the guy lost it and shot a kid in cold blood.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm inclined to agree.

But we just don't hold cops accountable.

Wish we did.

But we don't.

19. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Lets just hope this guy will never be a police man again.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While it is impossible to know for sure, it is hard to argue against it.

In this case I agree. The cop should be facing more than 2-4 years.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He is technically facing more with the gun charge thrown in, but still.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As someone else I was reading noted... this guy could potentially serve less time than Plaxico Burris will for shooting himself in the leg.

And we're supposed to call that justice? :confused:

23. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

How could this have been "involuntary"?

He stood up, aimed, and shot from point blank range.

24. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I agree. That is the sad state of America though :(