Officer Fired for Stopping Beating Gets Her Job Back

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/video/officer-fired-stopping-beating-gets-193103026.html

why are the other cops, including the chief still employed?

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Because they operate with a gang mentality. Good for her for getting her job back, but other than that this story pisses me off.

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

Because policing, worldwide is corrupt

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Great story. I'm disgusted this officer was fired in the first place. It's an indictator of a problem that may be common in police departments.

Humans by their nature are corrupt.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what pisses me off is that the other cops kept their jobs.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Should tell you something about why more cops don't step up and come forward.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sounds like a real upstanding local PD :roll eyes:

At least one person took a stand and real justice prevailed.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

when those who lied are behind bars or at the least fired, then justice would be served.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The video keeps cutting off at 1:30 and it said the other officers weren't brought up on charged AT THE TIME. I can't seem to find their names anywhere so it's hard to tell if they were ever charged later on. It makes sense they would be, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. Also, I hope that she's not a target for retaliation now that she has her job back. The fact that the town had to be forced by a court to reinstate her instead of doing so voluntarily is very telling. I hope they don't make her life a living hell. I think it's time for some new federal legislation to fight the police brutality epidemic. Cops nationwide need to be watched like a hawk every second they're on duty and ruled with an iron fist by independent committees comprised of local residents.

10. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Are you sure it's an epidemic?

A bit extreme, I'd say. Let's not lose our heads characterizing things as some sort of national emergency. How many LEOs do we have in the country? What percentage are good, if not great, officers that we don't have to worry about? The mistake I believe being made is assuming that the whole barrel is spoiled because of a very small rotten contingent that gets all the publicity.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably true but let's not forget, a bad cop can't be a bad cop without other cops looking the other way.

12. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Certainly cops looking the way would enable bad cops but I'm not so sure about a cop not being able to be bad all on his own.

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think the decay has steadily spread through the barrel and there aren't enough apples left that are still edible. Police officers used to be respected members of the community because they treated people with respect and were known as "peace officers". Officer Tasca still refers to herself as one, by the way. Nowadays, despite the continuously decreasing crime rates in America, the police are become more militarized and I think a lot of times you're more likely to run into a bully with a badge instead of a good hearted peace officer. There's a stench of perceived superiority radiating from so many officers. Officer Tasca explains it best in this article...

Furthermore.....
    Basically, she violated the blue code. In her words, she crossed the "thin blue line". I truly feel that the majority of cops will lie to protect another officer and it's a sad reality.

14. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I won't buy into your hysteria.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm worried about a police state, where corruptuion may not be the norm, but is common- lying, violation of our laws and civil rights, financial corruption ( on the take) and what I believe is common that it's unlikely to find officers calling out other officers when they do wrong. When the law no longer answers to the citizens, when it becomes more focused on protecting themselves, we the people are in big trouble.

16. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Whether you buy into it or not, it's still true. Like evolution. It took more than a few bad apples to get officer tasca fired the first time, it took a big coordinated effort of cover ups and lies across multiple individual people.
    ----------

We're pretty much there. I have no hesitation to say the majority of cops will have no problem lying under oath to protect their own.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended