[Official] Anderson Cooper: 'I'm Gay'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Jul 2, 2012.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Bom chicka ow ow! :D ;)
    HuffPoGay

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It must be tough for such highly visible public figures to come out to the world. I admire him for doing it.

The backlash against Prop. (H)8 in California, the end of DADT, and Obama's refusal to defend DOMA are all proof that it's becoming easier to be gay in this country. It's taken way too long but it's happening.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In other news, bears **** in the woods.

Wasn't this the worst kept secret in all of journalism?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pretty much. It's kind of not news at all.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He should have come out years ago, as to not do so does a disservice to Gays struggling with their place in the World. Leaders should lead.

The penultimate paragraph in that quote indicates that he finally came to that realization.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Props to him. It's a much simpler life just being yourself.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

John Travolta is probably pondering if this is a good time for him to come out. :D

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Anderson Cooper is one of the more recognizable gay men on television and the fact that he officially came out is indeed news.

In rural Bible Belt areas of the country, the public figures are the *only* examples of successful, together gay people. Most people are in the closet in those places and now a teen in rural Tennessee can point at Anderson Cooper when the pastor of his local church tells him that gay people don't contribute to society and are a social blight.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Everybody already knew that I think. I don't always watch cable news, but when I do its AC360. :)

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

No, I'm betting little Tommy is next. I mean, how long until his ex-wifes book hits the shelves. ;)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nice one. ;) But, at least he finally came out.
    I think so as well.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Nice. Maybe Katie caught Tom with John sharing a bed a Scientology conference. I never once thought of Tom as a gay guy, but now that you mention it. I guess it's possible.

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

How can we ever hope to get over homophobia and people treating gay people different when we continue to make a big deal out of trivial stuff like this? He's gay, who cares? That's the appropriate response here.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't think anybody (here) really cares in a negative away. Those in the gay community will and rightly should enjoy this news. Whenever someone in the public's attention comes out I would imagine may inspire others who are in the closet to do so as well. That way they don't live a lie. I think it would be easier on everyone if homosexuality is not seen as abnormal, then families may except it more when their child comes out.

16. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Darn, I thought him and Ellen DeGeneres would have been a cute couple. ;)

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

You're contrasting this as trivial.... on an entire website dedicated to rumors about a specific corporate brand. ;)

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

In theory that sounds great but its not always that easy regardless of social status. He will probably get all kinds of angry backlash by idiots who think sexuality is a choice.

I'm sure 1 million moms (or the more appropriate term, one million bigots) is already planning a boycott of CNN ;)

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good for him. It takes balls the size of watermelons given he is so scrutinized in the spotlight. I wish him the best and hope he isn't treated poorly by his employer or others, although I could see a backlash coming from a small minority.

20. iJohnHenry, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's just being disingenuous. Move along please. :p

Let them bring it, and it better be their A game.

The guy is beloved by everyone with a brain, who can recognize commitment to a profession.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't really see your point

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Judging by the ratings it seems more than a million already are.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

In a perfect world that would be an appropriate response. However, as long as people care (bad or good) this will continue to be news.

And it's a big deal for kids who feel like they are alone with these feelings. It helps. It really does.

24. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

[/COLOR]
    Please make sure you keep ALL personal details about yourself a tightly-held secret, from now on, k?

For example, if someone happens to ask if you're married, please refuse to answer. Better yet, get all insulted that they dare ask such a personal question.

And don't you dare keep a photo of your wife and kids on your desk. We don't need to know your dirty little secrets.

Your response itself is quite homophobic. Get over your own before worrying about other people's