Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to sources, Apple is planning on introducing an official iPod Battery Replacement program. Through the program, iPod owners will be able to send in their out of warranty iPods to replace worn batteries. The lack of an official battery replacement program has been a common criticism amongst iPod owners. Apple's official replacement service is expected to be priced at $99.

Replacement iPod batteries have been available from 3rd parties from $50 and up, but have only available for earlier iPod models.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
sweet. that will extend our iPod lives a lot.

bets on whether this will only be for the 3g ipods and later....?

that reminds me... i need to get my ipod LCD repaired.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
They should be free. The battery on my 1st iPod has completely crapped out. There have also been serious battery issues on my 3G iPod as well.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
They should be free. The battery on my 1st iPod has completely crapped out. There have also been serious battery issues on my 3G iPod as well.

Apple will cover premature battery issues under their normal warranty.

arn

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
3 hours is the longest I'd probably need to go, so I could let my batt get pretty old. But then I'd want a program like this to keep my iPod going.

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
lifespan?

Anyone know what the average lifespan of today's iPods could be? Year, 2 years? or better yet how many recharge cycles?

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
If anyone is having battery issues within a year Apple very well may take care of it, after that though you're on your own, Apple doesn't offer a warranty on the iPod and/or you can't buy AC three years on them.

It's great that Apple is offering this service as it will come up. If you discharge your iPod regularly as you should (as anyone with a portable iBook or Powerbook should) you should be able to get a good two to three years (or more) out of the rechargeable batteries. That's probably why Apple is introducing this program about now, some two years after the iPod's introduction.

$99 may seem like a lot but think of it this way, a new iBook or Powerbook battery costs a hell of a lot more than that. The $99 includes labor and battery replacement and you don't have to worry about your battery again... well, for another up to three years.

Small price to pay for thousands of songs in your pocket.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
i agree 99$ is about right--and its good to have that piece of mind that when the battery does run down you have that option to go to as opposed to having to purchase a new ipod altogether, which i'll probably end up doing anyway *sigh*

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I dunno... The low end iPod is $300, is twice the capacity of the 5GB, and support the modern firmware and peripherals. A $99 battery replacement doesn't give them a lot of space at the low end for lower priced models, and it might even be a tough call for someone to choose between a battery replacement and the current bottom model.

I guess that's the job of a good marketing department-- price things right at the threshold of pain...

$50 would certainly be more attractive. I don't know what the battery itself costs though.

Good to know there's the option, at least.

AT71

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
US$99 for replacment battery? Too expensive!

It should be US$69 for an Apple-branded battery. Otherwise US$59 is about the right price for a replacement battery.

What a rip-off from Apple again.

Luv Mac, Hate Apple Inc.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Exactly. About bloody time.
Though I bet it won't be for european customers.....
Anyway, my 3g ipod never ran for more that 5/6 hours. now with 2.1 installed it gets even less life.
Any1 know how to revert to the previous update?

davetrow1997

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2003
North Augusta, SC
install a previous update

All updates should be in Applications:Utilities.

Do a hard reset, restoring the iPod to its original factory condition.

You will lose all data/songs, so backup prior.

Then go to that folder and install the update that you want.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
They have been available for the original iPods for a while. Not through Apple and in a do-it-yourself kit. But a lot less then $99

Haven't tried it, I still get about 4hrs per charge out of my original 5gig iPod

No need to replace yet for my uses

http://www.pdasmart.com/ipodpartscenter.htm

but it is good to see apple ooffering them.

Blaaze

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
I say drop it to $50, and I will be immensely satisfied. But I'm thinking Apple's strategy for this is to keep it a bit pricey so it encourages people to buy new iPods. But then again $99 and $299 is a pretty hefty difference.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Re: US$99 for replacment battery? Too expensive!

Originally posted by AT71
It should be US$69 for an Apple-branded battery. Otherwise US$59 is about the right price for a replacement battery.

What a rip-off from Apple again.

Luv Mac, Hate Apple Inc.

Lith Ion batts aren't cheap. $99 sounds about right when you consider labor added. Would you prefer to go out and buy a new iPod?
You can bet your months paycheck that this is in direct response to the competition a service that those other guys don't have. If Toshiba, Dell and the like weren't coming out with HD based music players I'd bet cash this service wouldn't happen.

poultryfarm

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
i'm happy to see this.
just out of curiosity does anybody know how this compares to the other hd players out there. does dell or iriver or the napster player have some sort of service as well?

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Good idea BUT, parting with my iPod? :( I would hope that they would put trained staff in the apple stores that could do this on spot, me things that would be a good idea :)

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Have any of you complainers tried to get the back off your iPod? The first gen wasn't too bad, but I'd pay somebody 50 bucks just so I don't have to do that again. I've had the back off both of mine, a 5GB-G1 and a 15GB-G3 to remove that nasty "ultra-shine" that attracts so many fingerprints.
I applaud Apple on this move. A little unusual for them, tells me they feel the iPod is extremely important to the company.

Z

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Marketing or not...

$99 is way to exepensive for a battery for the iPod. $130 is way to expensive for a powerbook battery that lasts only two hours. Perhaps of Apple found a way to make it a 15 hour battery, $99 would be at least closer to being worth it, but, marketing or not, I'd rather just buy a new iPod, especially if they come out with a 10GB for $199. i just bought a 10GB (a trade up from my 1st Gen iPod), and I love it. The best part is the AA battery pack, which was probably the single most important reason for upgrading. I can't tell you how many times I left the house, only to realize too late that my iPod is not charged. I wouldn't mind going back to the first gen iPod size if it meant I could use a rechargable battery OR a couple AAs.

In closing, I'd just like to say, I look good in red....

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
What a waste of money

I think the battery exchange is way too expensive as well as th iPod itself.

I repeat, how can something that only reproduce sound can be half as expensive as an iBook that has 300 times the technology inside?

The iPod is Apple best business of course, it is a better deal even that early iMacs. Out off the assembly line and iPod shouldn't cost more than $20 or $40 for sure.

A 40Gb iPod should not cost more than $200.

It doesn't have FM radio.
It doesn't have color LCD.
It doesn't play Quictimes.
It doesn't preview pictures.
It doesn't have a respectful audio imput.

All of that starting at $299!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.