Official Claim: Obama asked Lois Lerner to target tea party groups illegally

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The opinion of some right wing republican is "official" ?

lol

3. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

You're darn right I'm outraged.

I'm outraged that anyone still considers Issa a credible person.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Darrel Issa saying this on Fox News.. what else do you think he's going to say, that this whole entire thing is a lie made up by Karl Rove, Cheney, and the Koch brothers?

How about posting something more believable, because Fox is a joke.

BL.

5. Hieveryone, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And you needed an entirely separate thread to talk about it?

/wasteland

BL.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The bar for proof has sunk to a new low.

8. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

And you couldn't have posted this in the last thread about the supposed scandal?

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You've just destroyed what little credibility you had in these forums.

EDIT: Don't send me PMs.

Yes, see post #1. Or Google Darrell Issa. See, I can source things just like you. :rolleyes:

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm still trying to figure out who the "government official" is

:confused:

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

He is Daryl Issa. He is in the Congress.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Negative credibility alert!

Is it your assertion that because one is a member of Congress that they are a good source of information?

Did you trust him when he said only Tea Party and conservative groups were targeted? Maybe it was when he said the President was involved? Perhaps it was how he released only selected portions of testimony and other records. Oh, I know, it must have been his stellar work on his Benghazi hearings. :rolleyes:

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

he's part of the opposition party......your thread title is more than a little misleading

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Ohhh well why didn't you say so before?! I'm sorry for ever doubting him!

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So by that logic if Congressman Jo Blo-D from any state would also be a "government official" ?

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    We've got a congressman blaming Obama for something? This must be serious business!

18. zin macrumors 6502

19. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Oh wow, a vindictive congressman of the opposing party *believes* Obama has done something wrong! Alert the press. It would be more surprising if you said he gave Obama credit for doing a single thing - any thing - right during his presidency. They're as transparent as they are adolescent, and the people that take what they say as gospel are equal parts sad and hilarious.

20. chown33, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

chown33 macrumors 604

Both this statement and the title of this thread are grossly inaccurate. In reading and listening to your source, no one made the claim you stated. I read the entire article and listened to the entire Fox News interview, and there was no such claim.

You've either grossly misrepresented what Sen. Rep. Issa said, or you profoundly misunderstood what he said.

Even the article summarizing that interview doesn't make the claim you stated. Here's the entire article's text, and the original DailyCaller URL, rather than your Yahoo.com secondary URL:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/23/issa-lois-lerner-attacked-conservatives-on-obamas-behalf-video/#!

Rep. Darrell Issa said Monday that ex-IRS official Lois Lerner acted on President Obama’s opposition to Citizens United in her targeting of conservative groups.

“I believe Lois Lerner is hiding something. I believe the Justice Department, the IRS, and the White House are interested in her succeeding in hiding what she’s hiding, which is targeting of conservative groups based on their ideology in support of the president’s war on Citizens United, a Supreme Court decision that he didn’t like,” Issa said on Fox News Monday morning.

“This is something he vehemently opposes, and Lois Lerner acted on his opposition,” the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee chairman said.

“Could it lead to political operatives of the president? Yes,” Issa stated, noting that his investigation is being “stymied.”

Issa also noted that the IRS did not seriously look into emails Lerner exchanged with the White House and did not look into emails from Obama political operative David Axelrod.

Issa will grill Koskinen Monday night at 7 p.m. in an Oversight hearing on Lerner’s computer crash and missing emails from IRS officials.
    The first sentence of the article summarizes Issa's statement. Neither the summary nor the actual quote, nor the interview itself, actually states what you claim it does.

Issa did not say that Obama asked Lois Lerner to do anything.

Issa did say that he believes Lois Lerner acted "in support of the president's war on Citizens United, a Supreme Court decision that he didn’t like".

Issa made no statement that Lois Lerner acted on the president's orders or request, either directly or indirectly. Therefore, the title of this thread is categorically false.

Lois Lerner could have made a completely independent decision to take these actions within the IRS, without the President telling her to, or her telling the President what she was doing. In other words, Lois Lerner knew that the President disliked the Citizens United decision, and she decided by herself, with no direction from anyone else and without telling her superiors, to do certain things within the IRS that would limit the effects of that court decision.

I'm not suggesting or arguing that Lois Lerner did this. Nor am I arguing she would be justified in doing this. I'm simply giving it as an alternative hypothetical explanation which exactly fits what Sen. Rep. Issa actually stated. The difference is that my hypothetical explanation doesn't have Issa accusing the President of asking Lois Lerner to target Tea Party groups.

If one reads the quotes and listens to the actual interview, Issa never suggests the President asked Lerner to do anything, nor does Issa suggest that Lerner acted on a direct request from the President. He may have insinuated such or similar, but he certainly never made the actual claim you gave in the thread title or your first post.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

and THIS is your evidence!?:eek:

22. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Well with sources like The Daily Caller and Grand Theft Auto aficionado and arsonist Darrell Issa, I see this story going far.

Far around the bend to join all the other Looney Tune Right Wing Whacko's

It is the Internet, and anyone can post anything, and they do.

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Well it's good we are having a discussion about this.

I think it's great that government officials are representing the voice of what a lot of people are thinking right now and that is "Did Obama ask the IRS to target US citizens illegally?"

From what it seems, it could be very likely the case. It's good a Congressman is actually saying it.

24. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Sure.

What are you going to post next?

The Moon landing was faked?

The Sun orbits around the earth?

/incidentally, some study said one in five four Americans believe that the Sun does orbit the earth.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ink-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says

Careful you don't let your box of chocolates melt

/sheeze, this country is so screwed . . . . . and there's proof every day, right here in this forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.