Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The official app for social news and discussion site Reddit is receiving a major update today, introducing several new features and interface tweaks to allow the app to better compete with popular third-party apps like Apollo.

There's a new Theater Mode designed to let iOS users view GIFs, photos, and videos in full-screen in either portrait or landscape mode, and there is a new option to open links in Safari View Controller instead of using the native in-app browser.

redditappchanges-800x400.jpg

Live comments and a new chat feature, which has been in beta testing on the main Reddit site, is launching in the iOS app starting today. Live comments allow breaking news and hot topics to be discussed in real time, while chat allows for one to one conversations for those who opt into the beta test.

"Flair," used as a sort of informational label for identifying posts on Reddit, can now be added on mobile, and a cake icon will be displayed on a user's "cake day," aka the anniversary of when a person first joined Reddit. In-feed usernames for original posters will make it more clear who first shared content on the site.

For moderators, there's a new "Mod Mode" that can be switched on to allow moderators to approve, remove, and flag content on the site, and a "Mod Queue" feature allows for easier management of large subreddits. There's access to Modmail 2 and beta moderator features. Banning, muting, and other existing actions have been simplified.

Today's update to the Reddit app is the most significant update it's seen since the company took over Alien Blue and then retired it in favor of an official Reddit app back in April of 2016.

Reddit told TechCrunch that it is focusing more on the mobile experience as many younger Reddit users prefer mobile devices. 58 percent of Reddit users that are 18 to 34 prefer to use mobile web and mobile apps for viewing the site.

Reddit is now up to 330 million monthly active users, with over 9 million posts per month.

Reddit can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: The new version of Reddit is now live in the App Store.

Article Link: Official Reddit App for iOS Gains Chat Function, Live Comments, Theater Mode and More

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Still using AlienBlue. I own Apollo and don't like it. Now that official Reddit application has added chat, I think I'm going to keep using AlienBlue until it no longer launches.

i primarily use reddit on my computer anyway so it's not a huge deal if I lose the application portion.

Reactions: AppleInLVX

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Slick. I use the official app, and I use the official app for everything third party now for the most part. If you want a smooth experience at all on iOS you basically have to or there's a huge disconnect/janky flow to mixing web and app with most services.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Still using AlienBlue. I own Apollo and don't like it. Now that official Reddit application has added chat, I think I'm going to keep using AlienBlue until it no longer launches.

i primarily use reddit on my computer anyway so it's not a huge deal if I lose the application portion.
The chat is opt-in, you don't have to opt in if you don't want to. Also, using an app that pretty much hasn't been updated since 2015 is a BAD idea.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
I know a lot of people like the Apollo and Narwahl apps, but I just couldn't get behind them for some reason. The official app is still my go to.

Reactions: 0029937

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

Yeah, I'm also still struggling to find a reason to use anything other than Alien Blue.

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Also, using an app that pretty much hasn't been updated since 2015 is a BAD idea.

What's the worst that can happen? It's a sandboxed application for Reddit. One day it won't open anymore or have errors connecting to Reddit's API and then I'll just continue using reddit on my Mac.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
The official app sucks. I hate hat it pesters you to enable notifications all the time. No I don’t want Reddit interrupting my life all day long!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.