Official - The new Xbox 360 - 250GB, wifi-N, $299, Shipping NOW!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SevenInchScrew, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Microsoft just confirmed the leak from yesterday. The new version of the Xbox 360 is shipping now, and will be in stores later this week. Details are fairly slim as of right now, but here is what we know so far...

- Smaller
    - Quieter
    - 250GB Drive standard
    - Built-in 802.11N wifi
    - Priced at $299 (same as the current "Elite", so expect price drops on the older ones)

- Click to HUGE-Size pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Built-in WiFi seems to be the biggest upgrade. Is it just me or does the case look pretty much the same as some Alienware cases? :p

Tomorrow we'll find out what Sony has in their sleeves

3. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So that's what happens when a 360 and Wii get it ooowwn.

5. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Looks nice. Doesn't do anything for me since I would want it wired for online gaming. My real question is this, did they solve the RRoD. If they did, i might have to pick one of these baby's up when my 360 dies the next time (I'm on #4 or 5. I lost count!)

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

is that thing besides the ethernet port the "Kinect port" they mentioned on the spec sheets ? just why couldn't the do it with an usb port exactly

7. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Power port for Kinect. If you use Kinect with this new 360, it can be plugged into the console, no other power connection needed. However, if you use Kinect with an older 360, which doesn't have this new power port, you will need to connect it to a wall outlet. I'm guessing with all the motion tracking, and various sensors in the unit, they just couldn't get by with powering it solely on USB.

8. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

That design is just awful. Reminds me of a cheesy alienware case:

[​IMG]

9. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Funny you should say that, because the company that designed the original 360 (and presumably this new redesign) is also the company that designs stuff for Alienware...

http://www.astrostudios.com/projects/archive/?all=1#

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I knew it looks like one of those cases, just didn't remember which! :D

11. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Lol, thats funny.

I dont understand why MS would put a huge vent on top of the unit. Dust will clog the fans like crazy, and with the 360's horrid stability record i would be very nervous laying it down flat on my shelf.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

It does seem superfluous to have 3 ports now that wifi is (finally) built in and Kinect has its own port.

14. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

There are huge grilles on both the top and bottom, and on the side. Obviously, everyone knows that heat is the main issue for the original 360's problems, so MS seems to be doing everything they can to ensure that air can get in, no matter which way it is laying. Time will tell how well it works.
    Well, they got rid of the slots for their older Memory Units, so I'm guessing the plethora of USB ports are to make up for that. Now that you can use regular USB drives for that purpose, they need to make sure you can have a couple plugged in at once, along with any other accessories you might need (guitars, wheels, etc).

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like it. Will no doubt trade in my existing 360 for one as soon as they are released here. Need more space than 120gb anyway :)

Did they change/refine the controller?

So that's 1 piece of hardware from E3 on my list. Bring it on Sony & Nintendo. Oh and whilst I like the look of kinetic / natal, the line up of launch titles reads like every mediocre wii game we all run 500 miles away from.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

17. -SD- macrumors 6502

I'm starting to quite like the new design. What I really want is dimensions, or a couple of comparison pictures alongside the original console. I'm quite surprised there's no slot-loading DVD drive though.

I think I'll wait until closer to Xmas to see what deals they do with Kinect, and make sure the hardware is more reliable. The Wii is definitely being replaced with an Xbox and Kinect though.

:apple:

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Wii "won" because of its software library and low price. The Kinect looks to have a standard console launch with a handful of supporting titles and is a peripheral to boot.

19. -SD- macrumors 6502

Kinect is more for the kids. They really enjoy Wii Sports so if there's an alternative (or blatant clone) with decent graphics for Move or Kinect, they'll be happy. It'll be interesting what 'Family' type games are released for both the new motion sensing systems. If you're going to wildly flail around the livingroom, you may as well do it in HD.

I personally just want a shiny black 360 to put under the livingroom telly. King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (and maybe '02 UM?), Mark of the Wolves and both Virtual-ON Oratario Tangram and Force. Just need Hori to do another run of Twin Sticks...

:apple:

20. zildjansg macrumors 6502

a shiny black 360 is pretty hot especially with its cool wifi upgrade.:D

21. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Not drastically. The Xbox button in the middle is now shiny chrome instead of silver. The analog sticks and d-pad are now black and not dark gray. And I haven't seen this confirmed, but it was mentioned somewhere that the controller will now ship with rechargeable AA batteries, and can be charged with the "Play and Charge" cable, thus not requiring the older battery pack. Again, I haven't seen that confirmed, but that would be nice. But other than the slight tweak in color, same controller.
    Here is some pics from the reveal on stage. The old console was actually just a shell, with the new one hidden underneath. You can see pretty well in these pics the size difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I havent been able to find out if the new HDD is proprietary or if MS stopped being dicks about that.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My guess is Kinects is a way to keep from having to buy both a Wii and an 360. Of the system I like I like the 360 as it has more of the games that I like on it. Now if I had a family I could see getting the Kinects for it so the little kids would have something to play but then again I more than likely would put the 360 in another room since I would not want them seeing the Rated M games that I will play.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The reason the wii worked is becasue all games support the controller

having only a few doens not justify kinetic for me

25. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Nope, they're still being total dicks about it. It is removable still, but still does comes in a proprietary case. There is a panel on the bottom of the case that can be removed, and you can pull out the drive, and presumably replace with bigger ones down the road. I wish they would have moved to using regular 2.5" drives like the PS3, but I doubt I'll ever need to upgrade, so it really isn't much concern for me. I still have over 30GB free on my 120GB Elite's drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]