Official UK Fuel Duty petition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacBoobsPro, May 29, 2008.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Below is the link to the Downing Street website official petition on fuel duty - if you feel strongly enough about the ludicrous petrol prices we are being charged then please sign.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lowerduty30/

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Nice one!

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Same here...

Not that it'll do any good. I'm sure that site never gets checked at the official end...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It will put road tax up.

7. iBecks macrumors 6502

Signed it, but not holding my breath, Truckers will probably get a rebate like the bus companies, but Joe Public will get nowt.

8. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Done..... Car Tax is going up in the next 2 years for gas guzzlers anyway.... 10p of per litre and anything over 2 litres £500 a year!

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

*Puts on tin helmet*

I'm pleased that petrol prices have increased and I hope that it might help bring about the end of inefficient motor vehicles and business practices. In fact, I think that the government, or the next one, should reintroduce the fuel tax escalator.

(And before anybody says otherwise, I do drive.)

*Runs away!*

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Signed. I don't drive but I'm going to be learning over the summer, and it's having a huge impact on my friends who drive.

I also agree with BoyBach. We have lots of small schools in my area and the roads just get packed with parents who live a few roads away driving their kids to school. I understand a lot of people need to drive, can we just somehow trim the fat of these excessive drivers.

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Agreed.

Lowering duty isn't the answer in the long term - reining in the massive profits made by Shell et al and using less fuel are better bets. We're all pretty screwed when the oil runs out (IIRC around 2050 according to some estimates): you can kiss anything made of plastic goodbye, for example. There's bound to be short-term pain for some industries (road haulage) but in the long term a reduction in fossil fuel use (e.g. by freight moving off the roads and onto rail, people using more public transport etc.) can only be a good thing and might prevent a few wars over the next 50 years or so.

p.s. yes, I do have a car!

13. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

The pain isn't only felt by some industries, pretty much everything is effected by the crazy fuel prices.

14. stomer macrumors 6502a

Completely agree.

Since when was cheap petrol a right? Since when was it the government's job to provide us with cheap petrol?

Oil is a resource that is quickly running out, and it pollutes. If anything, it should cost more.

15. iBecks macrumors 6502

Would be a fair point, if the government were using the tax raised to come up with an alternative.

And they sting us twice, as they add a fuel tax per litre and then charge 17.5% VAT.

The main road fuel (petrol and diesel) duty rate in the UK is £0.5035 per litre.

Value Added Tax (VAT), currently at 17.5%, is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty. At a pump price of 128.8p/litre (typical for diesel as at May 2008), this would put the combined tax at 69.53p/litre, or approximately USD$5.20 per US gallon. Thus without tax, the retail price would be 59.26p per litre, making a combined tax rate of 117%.

BTW. Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT.

16. stomer macrumors 6502a

What the tax revenues are being used for isn't of great importance. How the fuel is taxed is of even less importance. What is important is that the tax serves the purpose of limiting consumption.

Aviation fuel should be taxed.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think the annoyance lies in the massive duty they take off it. I don't live in the best connected area, it's quite rural but we have buses every 20-30 minutes. Everyone else here has a car since it's near impossible to go out, do shopping or even get to work without a car.

So really I'd like either petrol to be cheaper or for public transport to simply be better (outside of London and other cities, thanks for the Greater Manchester metrolink too. What a giant waste that was).

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can't just have everyone priced off the roads though. The entire economy would and will go to sh**.

19. stomer macrumors 6502a

That scenario is nothing compared to a scenario where the oil runs out and the UK hasn't taken measures to limit its dependence on it.

Countries that take measures to limit the national dependence on oil and encourage the development of renewable energy resources will be at a competitive advantage compared to countries that take no measures or do little.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ While that's true, you still can't simply price everyone off the roads when there are no alternatives up to the task.

Not saying it's not a tricky situation, or that I have any better ideas, I just don't see how this path is going to help anyone.

21. stomer macrumors 6502a

You can price people off the roads. It's what needs to happen.

There are plenty of alternatives.
    • Get a bike.
    • Buy a more economic car.
    • Use public transport.
    • Make your kids walk to school or find a school that's closer to home.
    • Find a job that doesn't require commuting by car.

22. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

all are very nice ideas, but the big problem with the increase in fuel costs are the increased cost of things like food and heating

23. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

For me getting to london on public transport takes about 2 and a half hours, if i miss the bus to the first change over I'd have to wait another hour for the next!!

However, if i go by car, 20mins to get to the train station, 45mins to get to marylebone.

Just not good enough, and of course, if i miss the last bus to my town it would be a 10 mile walk along busy roads with no paths :eek:

If public transport could get me all the way into london in an hour, or even an hour and a half in comfort, no waiting in a bus shelter without a roof i'd do it, no problem.

Oh, and i used london as an example, other big cities are even worse :rolleyes:

A classic is my god mother visiting someone in hospital, she had to take 3 busses to get there, and it took well over 2 hours. For me, I drove there in just over 30mins, parked up no problem and went in :eek:

Some day i hope they get public transport working, but as yet there is no alternative to cars!!

24. stomer macrumors 6502a

And..? If you are going to want bananas shipped to the UK, then consumers are going to have to pay more for the privilege. Heating is going to have come from renewable energy resources.

There's no getting around the fact that there's a finite amount of oil left and consumers are going to have to change their lifestyles.

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So you have to pay taxes on the taxes they levy? Surely that can't be right.

The VAT must surely be a misnomer in this case; I can't possibly fathom how hiking the price adds any value here.