Oh Boy! People Complaining about Racism in Video Games Now!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by benlee, May 31, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I wanted to bring a discussion into this forum because I believe that the majority of people on these forums are mature and open-minded people with a variety of intelligences level as well as ages.

I stumbled onto the new Resident Evil 5 video game trailer and saw there was a discussion about racism in the game.

To sum it up:

how RE5's imagery relates to historical and contemporary issues of race -- even if these African villagers are more "zombie" than human, like the Spaniards in RE4. Newsweek's N'Gai Croal argues, "It's not as simple as saying, 'Oh, they shot Spanish zombies in Resident Evil 4, and now black zombies and that's why people are getting upset.' The imagery is not the same. It doesn't carry the same history, it doesn't carry the same weight. I don't know how to explain it more clearly than that."

Personally, I understand the historical context discussed and such, but... My brain says wait! Africans have a history of being zombies?

I'm a strong believer in the need for intent in order for something to be offensive. I'm almost positive the makers of the game had no ill intent. Their only intent being to make a zombie video game set in Africa.

Its things like this that perpetuate racism and hatred in our country and further divide the masses. Looking for reasons to pick out racism where it doesn't exist and choosing to ignore it where it really does exist.
    Racism isn't propelled through video games and movies. Its in our families, our government, our schools...the very core of our society and yet some choose to look in the most peculiar places for some obscure over-reaching interpretation of something that probably isn't there. Racism is not some secret subliminal message sent from video game makers....it is a serious social problem that exists in all structures of our society and oversensitivity and finger-pointing at ridiculous interpretations is counter-productive.

See:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=490533&highlight=rachael+ray

for another example of ignorance at work!

Read here:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/11/newsweeks-croal-on-re5-wow-clearly-no-one-black-worked-on-th/

or more detailed at
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008...nt-evil-5-trailer-this-imagery-has-a-history/

Extended trailer is here:

http://xbox360.joystiq.com/

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The term "Zombie" is used in the Voodoo religion of west Africa, so the idea of setting RE5 in Africa makes perfect sense. The plot, after all, is about the origin of the virus.

Is it racist? Not at all.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Why is intent needed for something to offend someone?

Example: 'black people have feelings too'.

That could be meant in a very different way to the way someone else interprets it.

/nitpick

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think that there are far too many people in the media actively looking to be offended to raise their profile.

I read, and enjoy, N'Gai Croal's monthly column in Edge Magazine (it's much better than Randy Smith's - bring back Mr. Biffo, but that's for another thread!) and I don't recall him being offended with the first three episodes being set in the USA.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In that case I feel outraged that Hollywood thinks us British make the best villains. I'm so mad that I'm going to sue them all and write many angry blogs about it.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

As retaliation goes, might it not be more effective to mastermind some sort of ridiculously complex evil plan and then suavely gloat about it?

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Or the way they make us out to be raging red-headed alcoholics! Oh wait... :eek:

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

We do though! :p

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just can't stand this level of BS when it comes to creativity. I've added a section in my game where you go to a pub and have the option of getting drunk, despite the warnings that will inevitably be on the boxes I'm bound to get some people contacting me or my publisher crying their eyes out.

Similarly I received an email some years ago about a game I released called Satan Sam. They were a religious couple from some southern US state who were outraged at the name. They didn't even play it - the name was the protagonists nickname who had to fight off the bad guys, rescue good guys and didn't even use the words Heaven or Hell! They were just upset at the name and that the main character had red skin and horn-like ears (cat ears)!
    [​IMG]

10. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

There are people that complain about the most ridiculous things.

I heard a story about a woman complained to her employer because a co-worker saying "god bless you" after she sneezed.

I just find that stupidly over-sensitive but thats just my opinion.

Now "god bless America" on our currency complaints--I can understand.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

RE4 hit the hispanics, RE5 is Africans.....maybe RE6, RE7, RE8, etc can hit the other big groups.

:D

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Mister Worf, villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There was a game awhile ago where you would go around shooting black people. I'm not kidding. That was racist. This is silly.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Wasn't that also in a Law & Order episode? SVU I think.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

There was also a game where you had to shoot Germans, and another with Russians, another was Vietnamese. And what about the space invaders and zombies?

These videogames are surely the most racist medium ever conceived.

16. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I don't get it! I guess anything that portrays a race or group in anything other than the best light (even if it's completely fictional) will always be thought of as slander.

On an only somewhat related note, the other day I was driving past the city and county building in Salt Lake City. I saw a group of highschool aged students on the lawn demonstrating. Their signs were in support of illegal immigrants (which I don't have a stance on yet by the way), I thought it odd that their signs said "Honk if you're Mexican" and were covered with Mexican flags. I understand where they are coming from, they don't want their families to be forced back to their native countries, but you'd think they would have american flags and what not on their banners if they wanted to argue that they should be allowed to stay in America and become citizens. It's things like that that probably perpetuate a negative perception of latinos in my community. I love them, they're great people. But they aren't doing themselves any favors when arguing for their right to stay here while waving the Mexican flag and marching downtown.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You can't honestly think that's the same thing. We're not talking about some war game where you're fighting the troops of a foreign army. It was all about killing black people. Random black people on the street. That was it. I would call that pretty much the definition of racism, no?

Note that I don't think this is racism, because the goal is to kill zombies, not necessarily a race of people.

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You had me up until here. I completely disagree. Cultural artifacts like video games, movies, books, and more, both reflect ideas of and promote ideas in society. They are influential and they have an impact on the dominant discourse. The power of art and culture to transmit discriminatory messages is profound: Think black face, think Birth of a Nation, etc., etc., etc. While I agree with you that this is probably not an example, it is folly to suggest that our sources of entertainment are not powerful forces in shaping the way we think about the people and world around us.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

British ppl make the best villains because frankly ur the coolest guys around. People love to hate the cool kids.

:(i wish i was british

20. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I absolutely agree with you and obviously didn't choose my words effectively. In a sense, I meant that these are not the places where racist ideas are most influential. Personally, I think racism is propelled through family and community influences more.

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think you're right there. Families and communities have profound local influence, whereas media images have an influence that is wider, but also more dilute.