Oh, by all means, blame the teachers, not the parents

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(Please read the thread title with your sarcasm detector turned on.)

Used to be when you heard the phrase "assault on a teacher", you thought about a teacher getting beat up by a student. Now you gotta worry about the parents as well.

Well duh.

This thing bothers me in all kinds of ways.

It's just the latest in a line of crackpot "laws" that try to circumvent established procedures. See, we used to have these things called school boards, and we voted for them. Which makes this law seem kind redundant, not to mention overboard.

And the teachers make a good point: what qualifications do parents have to make major changes to school systems and curricula?

And if they do have the qualifications and are so concerned...why aren't they running for the school board?

And won't the biggest effect of laws like this be to drive good teachers out of the profession and/or to other districts?

And finally, the biggest, most obvious question: if the schools are having these problems, mighn't at least some of the problems be the parents? Many teachers complain bitterly of parents who, at best, don't help the kids with homework and, at worst, raise unruly kids who are unteachable in the classroom.

But no, it's much easier to blame the teachers. And it's a lot easier to sign some petition than it is to run for school board yourself.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Oh America, you're so silly...

Seriously, it's stuff like this that makes me damn sure I'd never try raise a family there.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- I've seen dumb before, but this is verging on insane. 51% ad they can get rid of someone? What idiot thought this up?

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

One might say the same about your country, but that would be ignorant.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Great, lets put this to test in one of the worst school districts in Southern California. Good lord.

7. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

And I for my 15 year old son:(

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In order to be a teacher these days, you have to endure all kinds of grief from parents, students, and the community. Educators are always in the cross hairs of public sentiment just like police officers and politicians.

However, there are many truly awful educators out there as well as some schools that are very poorly run--so why is a law like this so bad? It would take a huge effort to gain a majority of parents to sign a petition and this wouldn't be the result of a single parent or small group of parents who have it in for a particular teacher.

"Established Procedures" clearly aren't working in certain areas. I tend to favor laws that circumvent bureaucracy.

9. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

That seems a bit like a throwing the baby out with the bathwater kind of argument. Sure, it sounds nice that we'll remove all this bureaucracy, but like the OP points out, the school board is supposed to fill exactly this same niche. I mean, why reinvent the wheel? Perhaps there's some sort of "stigma" to the school board, but if parents are involved appropriately, seems like this suggestion is redundant at best.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Baby out with the bathwater? I don't understand how you interpret my post that way. The trigger law can be very narrow -- such as firing a single teacher or principle or very broad such as converting to a charter school.

For various reasons, a school board doesn't always have the power to intervene in the direct way that this law can. It's fairly common for elected officials of all stripes to act contrary to what was promised during an election.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is to go along with the new law that says if 51% of your neighbors think you are an idiot, they can vote to have your kids moved to foster care... of course the neighbors will have to pay for it. ;)

12. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Maybe I misread your post, but what I got from it was let's get rid of school boards since they're too much bureaucracy, and just make it a direct democracy instead. Which can lead to worse headaches, I think.

I don't have much personal experience with school boards, so perhaps my view of them is incorrect, but this suggestion just feels like the bossy parents selling their "agenda" best to the other parents get their way, and damned if there really are good, albeit unpopular reasons to reject certain proposals. Sure, elected officials can blatantly go against their constituents' wishes, but occasionally, the "common man" just doesn't bother gathering all the relevant information to make a nuanced decision like the elected official at least ideally should.

My two cents... :)

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Except my country doesn't pull stupid stuff like this. Anyway, I didn't say America was a bad place, I just said I wouldn't want to try raise a family there. How is that ignorant?

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No matter where you raise your kids, as long as you're present and love them, they'll turn out fine.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It's ignorant because you're judging an entire country based on the actions of one town that happens to be one of the worst parts of california. If you actually tried raising a kid here you might even prefer it over new Zealand, who knows? You also have to keep in mind the US is difficult to judge on a national scale, different states have their own ways of doing things. It's a huge country and it's not always in sync with itself. You might have Mississippi but love new jersey. Your country is smaller than many of our states and therefore much easier to manage.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Parents are part of the problem, they don't know what their kids are doing or helping them with their school work. Teachers are not babysitters or home with the kids to make sure the work gets done.

The problem is with a lack of oversite on all sides, the government sets overly high standards that nobody can ever attain. The school boards expect the teachers to tell kids how to take a test to get the scores up. And the parents don't want to hear it that their kids are stupid.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It would help if American corporations paid their workers wages that were sufficient to have just one parent work, or perhaps get by with just one job. Many parents aren't involved because they are working 2 jobs or both parents are working.

18. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Parents are not on the boards of major companies that their kids eventually grow up work for and so we should give kids the same training by leaving them to it.

Too much gossip/favouritism/patent social peep pressure for any fairness to run a school. Parents can't be mom forever, it's realistic and good education to instill that early on than a snotty kids shouting 'my mommy can get you fired! Now give me my pony!!'

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It sounds like a case of wanting to fire the baker because you gave him a sack of moldy flour to work with and expected wedding cake.

I really doubt we're ever going to make any real progress in the field of education until we start completely rethinking some key assumptions and to hell with little Johnny's feelings.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The fact remains that it is stories like this that put me off the idea. Incidentally NZ wouldn't be my first choice either.

21. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

With society degrading as of morals and kids doing whatever they want, we need a stricter school system. Agree with the poster about all this feelings BS.

In my day, it was tough and and me an my peers are better for it

These days, too much red tape and egg shell walking. Life isn't being wrapped in cotton wool so we shouldn't represent that to young people

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. We coddle our kids too much. It's a tough world and we're not raising kids to properly deal with it.

23. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

I guess it's a nice alternative to not being able to fire a teacher at all due to unions and stuff. Some middle ground would probably work out well

Somewhere between the current "I understand he's a pedophile, but..." and the proposed "yeah sure, he's fired"

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I totally agree with this, if you want to have kids, one parent should be able to stay home and actually raise the kids instead of sending them off to daycare and when they get older expecting the school to take care of raising them. Unfortunately given the current economic conditions and wages in the US it isn't usually possible.

25. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

What's wrong with holding teachers accountable? The rest of us are.