Oh dear...O2 might be the worst network to be on for New Year's Eve

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Dec 31, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The network seems to be getting hammered...slow data, can't send SMS and i get the feeling its only gonna get worse till 6am tomorrow.

46.7 million people...oh dear. *Reaches into drawer for T-Mobile SIM*

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All networks suffer new years eve since the times of the motorola brick. Try picking up a land line.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right.

I know of no network that can handle the capacity of 70% (guessing) of its customers sending texts and emails at roughly the same time (midnight) without some degradation of service. Even the all-mighty Verizon gets a little slow on txts then...

And in the US, it doesn't take until 6AM to recover .. more like 12:15AM.

Edit: oh, wait, you're saying it's getting hammered before midnight? Well, that does suck. Networks out here usually do well UNTIL midnight, then they suck for like 15 minutes, then back to normal.

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Yup, its only 7pm here and the o2 connection is flakey already.

5. pauliphone macrumors regular

everyone knows the networks crash at midnight so they are all sending their messages early!
    o2 network struggling now, but will prob be fine at midnight cos nobody will even bother trying!!

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

As expected it practically died and lasted more than half an hour, although surprisingly, switching to EDGE actually helped and all my messages went through and is also why i can post this *Shrug*

That said...Happy New Year everyone!

7. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I'm using T-Mobile UK, other than for a few minutes just after 12 where messages hesitated for around 30 seconds I have had no problems.

and Happy New Year everyone :)

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Same problem all around the world. I am on Telstra here in Australia and although they have a very decent network, messages were slow sending or got delayed being delivered.

I remember last New Year when I was living back home in Ireland, o2 IRL was so so so slow. So it happens everywhere....