Oh Gawd...I have the reception issue with Iphone 4..what are my options? I am in love

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bholaladka, Jul 8, 2010.

1. bholaladka macrumors regular

So I tried pressing the bottom left cut part of the iphone and it goes from 5 bars to "searching..." what are my options if I want to have the iphone but do not want to have a buggy phone.

Can I do an exchange? COULD THIS give me a model which does not have this issue or ALL of them have the issue?

2. draz macrumors 6502a

1) Buy a case which covers the outter rim at least
    2) Hold it differently so your fingers stay away from the bottom corner

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i have had a bumper and have had absolutely no problems with the phone, neither has the boyfriend :p

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

A case would be your best bet. I'm using an incipio feather case and it solved my reception issue. A lot of people with the same case (I'm sure almost any case) noticed better reception as well.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

7. Hoangsta macrumors member

Wait for the "software fix". if that doesn't work then do what the others said.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. iTim314 macrumors 6502

In this order:

1) Wait for Software "fix".
    2) Try the SIM re-position technique.
    3) Get a case.
    4) Return the iPhone

Mine comes in tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm of the 50(?) percent of iPhone 4 users without the reception issue.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

In spite of the uproar, Steve was actually giving people the quickest and easiest way around the problem when he suggested holding it differently. It took me about a day to get used to a different grip, and then I was able to move on with my life.

Eventually I got a bumper for protection purposes and it appears I can hold it however I want now (although I still tend to avoid the bad grip out of habit anyway).

11. bholaladka thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for all the quick and helpful replies. It seems i have several options...

1) buy a case for it --- how do I justify to myself that i bought a phone and if it does not work...why should I spend $30 more on it =\ Is it just purely because I love my iphone?? Has anyone received a free one from the genius bar or something?

2) wait for the software fix -I have 30 days which expire on July 26th. Here is hoping that apple releases their fix before then.

3) hold differently - it's almost impossible to avoid touching the cut part. Not a valid option right now.

overall, it seems that the case can resolve this mighty reception problem. Now, I just have to convince the consumer in me to be convinced that I should be shelling out the money for a case...

12. bholaladka thread starter macrumors regular

is #2 just taking out the sim and putting it back in?

13. draz macrumors 6502a

1) Some people were able to get a free one from Apple via the phone but that doesn't work anymore... But putting tape over the effected bottom corner area does do the job.

2) Yes it does have a 30day thing so hopefully Apple releases something very very soon or else there will be anger!

3) Lol yea it is too hard to hold there have been soo many pictures of people holding their phones 'differently' and all are pretty funny ways.

Worked for some but not everyone and yes it is just taking it out waiting like 20mins or so and putting it back in.

14. bholaladka thread starter macrumors regular

If I exchange it within 30 days , do I get 30 more days on the exchanged one?

15. Bigrahizzle macrumors regular

Bigrahizzle

16. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

you heard Steve your holding it wrong no wrongdoing w/ the iphones design :p. I was having the same issue and it went away w/ a case.

17. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Why do you feel the need to touch the spot that supposedly makes your phone lose signal? Seems like a pretty easy fix haha.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If you exchange it, then no and depending on where you bought it you could also have a hard time returning it because the serial number on the phone won't match the one on the box. If you like the phone so much, you'll probably have to get a case and if you want at 29 days return the phone and rebuy to see if maybe later batches don't suffer from "the death grip" as badly. That's what I plan on doing anyway.