Oh God Help (getting rid of 5400 images on desktop)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dustmunkey84, Feb 16, 2009.

1. dustmunkey84 macrumors newbie

I was doing some tests in iMovie and exported my file to my desktop. When the proceedure was over I found out that I had not exported my 5min movie to my desktop but rather the 5400 file image sequance to my desktop. My desktop is now choked, it takes nearly an hour to boot up (as opposed to a minute) and any attempt to get in there and delete these files crashed my finder. HELP SOME ONE PLEASE!!!!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    mkdir i_promise_to_read_carefully_next_time
    mv *.jpg i_promise_to_read_carefully_next_time/

Problem solved.

And having lots of files on your desktop shouldn't affect boot times, only the amount of time it takes for the Finder to render your desktop...

If you can't log in at all, you can try logging in via the console -- just enter '>console' as your username into loginwindow.

5. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't get prompted for a log in, how do I start with the prompt ?

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Oh, you have auto-login enabled.

You can change the setting in System Preferences.

7. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Once you're logged in to your account, the commands I gave above will:

1) Change to your Desktop folder.

2) Make a new directory (admittedly, one that's named in a little bit of a teasing manner ;))

3) Move all files ending in ".jpg" to the new directory.

Obviously, you can change those commands as required (such as if they're PNG files...)

9. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

If the situation is bad enough that you can't get to a console session from the login window, you can do this in Single User Mode.

Hold down command-S when you hear the startup chime.

You can release these keys when the screen turns black with white text scrolling by.

Eventually, the text will stop scrolling and you will be looking at a command prompt.

The first commands you are going to type before doing anything else are:

fsck -y This will run a filesystem check on the boot volume, and fix any errors. Always a good idea when starting up a single-user-mode session
    mount -uw / This will unmount the root filesystem (your startup volume), and remount it with read/write ability. You are making changes, so you need the write ability.

Next, cd into you Desktop folder.

cd /Users/<short user name>/Desktop replace <short user name> with your short user name; the abbreviated name that you use to log in or confirm admin access when present with a security dialog. If you don't know your short user name, just cd /Users/ and then type ls. You should see your short name listed there. Find it, and then type cd <short user name>/Desktop. Don't include the angle brackets.

Now you can use the commands mentioned above to move those files.

mkdir i_promise_to_read_carefully_next_time
    mv *.jpg i_promise_to_read_carefully_next_time/

When you are finished, reboot the machine with this command:

shutdown -r now

10. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I will get back to you whenever I get back at my compy

11. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried this i got into consol did fsck -y
    and mount -uw then my computer got really loud. (do i have to worrie about this?)

but "cd into your desktop folder" confuses me

What is cd?
    I cannot find <short user name> do i type cd/users/ or just users.
    You are going to have to literally spell out what i have to type beacuse I have never done this

this pisses me off so much i dont have words for it.

12. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

also for where the "*.jpg" am i replacing the star with the file name? will I have to do this all 5000 times?

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

The full path to the desktop folder is /Users/<your short username/Desktop

14. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah but i still cant find this short user name what is the exact entry for that?

15. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

cd is a command, it is short for "Change Directory". Your short name is the name of your home folder. Let's assume it's "munkey" It would be EXACTLY like this (pay attention to caps and spaces), do not forget to hit enter after each line, before you start typing the next one

fsck -y
    mount -uw
    cd /Users/munkey/Desktop
    mkdir stash
    mv *.jpg /Users/munkey/Desktop/stash

Oh, and disable the "list of users" and automatic login. Both of them are not only security risks, but they make it impossible to get to the console on a normal boot. (or the root account, if it is enabled). So, if you know what your home folder is called, just subsitute that for "munkey".

16. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i think i got it thanks J the Ninja but I still cant find my home folder name
    my login comes up as Dustin Rosemark (below it says admin) then it asks for password.

Anyone help me on how to get this "home folder" or "short username" information?

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Wait... are you already logged in via the GUI? I thought you couldn't log in at all...

18. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Ok, just do this. Bring the system back up Single-User, and after your do mount and fsck, type this:

ls /Users

You should see your own home folder. You know, the one that has your documents and downloads and pictures and that sort of junk in it? THAT is your home folder, just use whatever it's name is. (In all likelihood, it's probably your first name, or whatever name you have most people call you)

19. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait ls comes before users with a space like this

ls /users

?

is this a lower case L? or I?

20. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The syntax is always the command, followed by a space, followed by the arguments, in this case the directory you want to list. The list command is "ls", the directory is /Users, so...

ls /Users

21. big_malk macrumors 6502a

A star basically means 'anything', so this command selects any file with its name ending in .jpg and moves it into the stash folder

mv *.jpg /Users/munkey/Desktop/stash

22. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel like an idiot in the presance of geniuses. so i thought i might of ogtten it right I followed ninja's commands i did
    /users/dustinrosemark/desktop and console said (this is a directory that means i got it right?)

then i typed
    mkdir stash

then i typed
    mv *.qtif/users/dustinrosemark/desktop/stash

i got this response
    mv [-f | -i | -m] [-v] source taget
    mv [-f | -i | -m] [-v] source directory

i figured i fixed it then went back to the GUI and the files were still there.

2 questions
    1. Where did i screw up?
    2. Should i be concerned that my computer gets really loud and the fan is rip roaring?

Thank you so much for you help

23. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I think you just missed the space between *qtif and /users/...

but I might be wrong, I'm no expert in this either but I do have a little experience.

As for the fan noise, I wouldn't worry, my MP does that for a while as it starts up, and when in target disk mode. Over cooling is better than overheating!

Edit:

Actually, if you've used 'cd' to change into your desktop, you don't need the /users/... just use the folder name on its own.

mv *qtif folder

That's all you need

24. dustmunkey84 thread starter macrumors newbie

finally fixed it!

so much gratitude to those who helped me!!!

25. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear it!

You can use QuickTime to change all those images into a movie btw, file > Open image sequence. Not sure if its a pro feature or not though. Might be quicker than re-exporting it again.