Oh good grief! Mayor claims Obama purposely blocked "Peanuts"

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
You ready for your holiday jollies? Get a load of this one:

(CBS/AP) A small town mayor is under fire for what he wrote about the President online.

Mayor Russell Wiseman of Arlington called President Obama a Muslim on his Facebook page, attacked Obama's supporters, and said the president's primetime address on Tuesday about the U.S. military's strategy in Afghanistan was a deliberate effort to block the airing of the cartoon "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

The Commercial Appeal reported Wiseman's comments, posted on his Facebook page, which included the claim that the president is Muslim.

Mr. Obama is Christian.

According to the newspaper, the mayor's first posting read, "Ok, so, this is total crap, we sit the kids down to watch 'The Charlie Brown Christmas Special' and our muslim president is there, what a load.....try to convince me that wasn't done on purpose. Ask the man if he believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he will give you a 10 minute disertation (sic) about it....w...hen the answer should simply be 'yes'...."

In another posting Wiseman attacked the President, his supporters and Muslims, by saying "...you obama people need to move to a muslim country...oh wait, that's America....pitiful."

Area voter Jeff Shackelford told CBS Affiliate WREG that the President of the United States had "more important things to be thinking about instead of trying to block Charlie Brown on TV."

Ryan Williams told WREG, "I just think it's ridiculous that people blow stuff like this way out of proportion. He's trying to lead a country, not change religious values here."

Wiseman downplayed the posting when contacted by the newspaper Thursday. He did not immediately return media phone calls.
Hey Lucy...I think you have a customer.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I'll give the president a pass on pre-empting Charlie Brown but the jury is still out on the bold claim above...
Good Grief! First you're deciding who aren't "real" conservatives and who aren't "real" Americans, and now you're deciding who's not a Christian.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Good Grief! First you're deciding who aren't "real" conservatives and who aren't "real" Americans, and now you're deciding who's not a Christian.
The more extreme the xian right gets, the more they think they've co-opted god and are cop, jury, judge and executioner all rolled up in one. The Founding Fathers are surely rolling in their graves.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'll give the president a pass on pre-empting Charlie Brown but the jury is still out on the bold claim above...
No its not. And more importantly..who cares??!?

As an Atheist, who cares? Policy should reflect a clean separation of church and state.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Article six states
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Article six states
Well said. Someone needs to slap this mayor upside the head with this and tell him to read it or go back to school. Even the ordinary 8th grader who is learning this understands the Constitution better than this fool of a mayor.

And InTheNet, I suggest you read the Constitution before making such bold (and very stupid) comments like yours above, or better yet, do yourself and us a favour and pull a Johnny Depp: If you don't like it, LEAVE THE COUNTRY, and don't come back until Obama's term(s) is/are over.

But I digress; you must know oh so much better than the Founding Fathers who wrote the very laws that you abide by.

BL.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I have to admit, when I posted this, I didn't think we'd focus on the Muslim part. I thought we'd get maybe six variations of "This guy's an idiot," with a few humorous Peanuts references thrown in. :D

But we're all so serious these days. I agree, Obama's religion makes no difference, though I'm more offended at the way this joker says Obama is Muslim. That's a double-dipper insult: get the President's religion wrong, and imply that there's something wrong with being Muslim.

The article says the mayor is entitled to say anything he wants on his Facebook page...and yeah, he is. But when voters read ridiculous stuff like that, they'll probably vote him out in the next election. In my small town, we also have a mayor given to making petulant, stupid remarks against people, and last month residents voted to give the job to someone else. :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The more extreme the xian right gets, the more they think they've co-opted god and are cop, jury, judge and executioner all rolled up in one. The Founding Fathers are surely rolling in their graves.
Or like the rest of us rolling in the aisles. These GOP idiots are getting truly hilarious :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Good. We don't need Peppermint Patty and Marcy pushing their radical lesbianism on our children.

Not to mention Snoopy, constantly decorating and re-decorating his dog house and his fetish for the Red Baron.

Don't even get me started with Linus and Schroeder.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Good. We don't need Peppermint Patty and Marcy pushing their radical lesbianism on our children.

Not to mention Snoopy, constantly decorating and re-decorating his dog house and his fetish for the Red Baron.

Don't even get me started with Linus and Schroeder.
And Pig-Pen . . . dirty heathen!

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I have to admit, when I posted this, I didn't think we'd focus on the Muslim part. I thought we'd get maybe six variations of "This guy's an idiot," with a few humorous Peanuts references thrown in. :D

But we're all so serious these days. I agree, Obama's religion makes no difference, though I'm more offended at the way this joker says Obama is Muslim. That's a double-dipper insult: get the President's religion wrong, and imply that there's something wrong with being Muslim.
And a costly one at that, especially if litigations get involved.

The article says the mayor is entitled to say anything he wants on his Facebook page...and yeah, he is. But when voters read ridiculous stuff like that, they'll probably vote him out in the next election. In my small town, we also have a mayor given to making petulant, stupid remarks against people, and last month residents voted to give the job to someone else. :)
To an extent, he is entitled to say anything he wants. Keep in mind that the 1st Amendment states that Congress shall pass no law infringing on the right to free speech. That doesn't mean everyone gets carte blanche to say anything they want and expect to get away with it. In this case, this idiot mayor just opened himself up to a good amount of libel suits, should Obama and/or anyone on his behalf decides to sue.

It's one thing to go after someone for who or what he/she is and what they've done; it's something completely different when you spread falsehoods about who or what someone is. And being in a political position himself, this mayor should have known better. I'd suspect that the POTUS' spokesperson may say something about this, but Obama himself will take the high road, leaving the people to know what this idiot has done.

This may be the end of his political career (and deservedly so).

BL.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Why do republicans hate America so much?
Because they are being sore losers from the fact that they got completely pwned in the 2008 elections. They can't handle accepting the reasons they lost, and have to find something/someone to blame.. even if it goes as far as fanaticism.

BL.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Because they are being sore losers from the fact that they got completely pwned in the 2008 elections. They can't handle accepting the reasons they lost, and have to find something/someone to blame.. even if it goes as far as fanaticism.

BL.
The race was pretty close for having to run after one of our worst presidents in history.