Oh great!...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TechGod, Jul 23, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

99.9% them are. Not specifically the attitude in this situation, but most people use religion as a reference to validate their opinion. It's usually "God does or doesn't approve" type of talk.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I agree regarding that. It's sad.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'd have told her that God doesn't exist and even if he did I don't have any cares to give about what he thinks.

Some people just need to keep their mouths closed. Never before have I heard such a bigoted opinion. I mean, I would never dare tell anybody anything like that. The bare faced cheek.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A significant proportion of the population are brain-damaged....

6. samiwas macrumors 68000

This story sounds somewhat like a situation I experienced, although the woman never said anything about religion, I have to assume this was tied to it.

So I was working in a convention center installing a corporate meeting room, and they had a catering room set up for us. Each day, my head and I would go get lunch there, and the last who helped out in there was the sweetest old lady. She'd get us anything we needed, refill our drinks for us, let us know what else might be available, etc.

So one day she sat down at the table with us, and the discussion led to how close myself and my wife were to having our son. Then she asked the other guy if he had kids, and it went something like this:
    Lady: So, what about you? Do you have any children?
    Guy: No. My wife and I decided that we aren't going to have any.
    Lady: Excuse me??
    Guy: Well, we are both very involved in our careers and enjoy having the time to explore other things, and neither of us really has that parental instinct, so we decided that we aren't going to have any children.
    Lady: Well, you'll change your mind.
    Guy: We're already in our late 30s...I think the decision is pretty well set.
    Lady: Well, people like you don't deserve to have children!
    Guy: I'm sorry??
    Lady: You shouldn't have children because you aren't deserving of them.

That was the end of that conservation, as I was extremely uncomfortable, and he was pretty insulted. Some people are just crazy.

7. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Really? 99.9%? I know plenty of Christians, none of who (whom?) use god to validate their opinions in manners such as this.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Wow. :eek:

Mind you, I meet people in my field (science) who consider themselves blissfully 'child-free'. They often ask me why I have children in a rather smug way. I don't think anybody should have to defend their choice of having or not having kids.

9. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I was raised in a fundamentalist "home".

Self-serving, small-minded, judgmental, petty, disingenuous, busy-body, low self-esteem, hypocritical, self-righteous, sexist, racist, elitist, . . . . .

Oh Hell, I could go on for paragraphs of disparaging adjectives describing the behavior and values I witnessed being displayed every day by "God fearing Christians" that "knew Jesus as their own personal savior".

10. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

The use of God does not mean the person is of the Christian religion. There are many religions that believe in God.

Am I the only one who came away from this story as a writing of fiction? It sounded very fake.

11. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Some people really are that gauche, and some people ascribe to only a personal religion that allows them to speak for god quite freely. In many western cultures, it will often look vaguely monotheistic.

12. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Just a side note on this part - and I don’t agree with that woman in any other capacity - however, you’d be surprised how this can suddenly change (in your late 30s ... in your early 40s!) and how the “parental instinct” can kick in. You can be deeply involved in your career, traveling, selfish with your personal time, and time with your SO, and get a real urge to have kids.

You don’t know till you get there, it’s hard to predict, but it’s interesting to have perspective if you do wind up there. :cool:

True story :D

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

*looks at state where this occurred*

Yep not surprised.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Something like this has never ever happened to me (yet). However, being that I'm a server at a restaurant a very small minority of my guests have treated me like scum of the earth. Talking down to me, treating me like uneducated swine, asking me why we can't make a custom meal for them that's not even on the menu, etc. Of course they don't tip, either.

All of which taking place in Wheaton, IL - arguably the bible capitol of Illinois (pretty damn wealthy, too!)

15. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

You really think that it happened in the US and she was referring to the Muslim God(s)?

FYI, these guys post REAL stories not fake ones.

----------

I hope that some other customer defended you perhaps.

16. lannister80, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No effing way. Wheaton may have Wheaton College, but other than that, it's just another wealthy western burb of Chicago, not much different from Warrenville, Naperville, etc.

Go downstate if you want to see Bible Capitol of IL (pretty much anything south of I-80). As usual, rural folks tend to have a much higher concentration of religious bigots.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Okay, northern Illinois...? :p

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yeah, I suppose so. I don't think Wheaton is particularly religious *other than* the college, though. But that college is full-on crazy, though. They're the "no dancing, no music" type of Christians...

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

They're allowed to dance now! :eek:

I have some friends that go there. They said the student body aren't very religious at all. It's the administration and benefactors that are crazy.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Thank you for posting this. Now we know not to take what you say seriously.

----------

I grew up in Frankfort. That's south of I-80. It's a completely normal community. And Champaign Christians are extremely progressive. Even the Catholics.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'd be interested in knowing if you have any way of verifying that all the stories are true, or even semi-true.

Because I've heard stories about talking snakes that people insisted were true; but their insistence doesn't mean I automatically believe them. I suppose they could post them to a website that purportedly only allows "true-stories" though, then perhaps you'd believe it whole-heartedly?

That's not to say I don't believe this story, there are some crazy folks out there. But there are also a lot of people out there that like to make crap up, and the way this story is written sounds quite made up, or at least highly embellished, to say the least.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I'm just telling it like it is. According to ALL religious texts, 99.9% of everyone are sinners. But it's sure easy to manipulate religion towards your own agenda and justify your sins. "Oh, God knows my heart" "The Lord does/doesn't approve" "I'm not judging you, God is" "God will forgive me, but others will burn in hell" ....... I've heard it all, except the truth.

23. SLC Flyfishing, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Saying 99.9% of all people are sinners, is not the same as saying 99.9% of christians are like the woman in the OP's story. Which you did in the opening response to this thread:

And according to the bible, 100% of people are sinners. That only matters in the sense that it's important for people to know that nobody, including one's self, is perfect.

For some, one of the biggest and most difficult to overcome sins is worrying about the sins of others more than their own.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Which is why you should read my post again as I stated ....... "Not specifically the attitude in this situation"

That I agree with. But I'm not referring to sins itself, but the way people shield their own sins with religion, and use religion to judge others that don't fit their own agenda.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Maybe you meant that not all christians hold the exact viewpoint that the lady in the story shared; but that 99.9% of all christians are insufferable bigots in one way or another.

You're going to need to clarify your statement, because all I can get from that is that you feel 99.9% of all christians are something; and it appears from your post, that you think that something is what the woman in the OP demonstrated.

It's unfortunate, and it's definitely nowhere near what Jesus taught people to do. And as I said, judging others when it is not one's place to judge is often one of the most difficult things for some people to overcome. It's also not specific to Christians, or religious people at all for that matter.