Oh man... I just opened a whole (OCD) can of worms...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StephenCampbell, Oct 11, 2013.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I decided to shine the light from my iPhone onto my iMac's screen while it was off, so that I could clean off any dust and stuff using the cloth that came with it.

Has anybody else done this?

When shining the iPhone flashlight on the turned off screen, there is no way to make it look perfect. There will always be another speck of dust, and there will even be (I assume this is normal) a micro-scratch or two on the surface of the glass (the kind of micro-scratches that gold can develop when used). Obviously there is absolutely no way of seeing these using any methods whatsoever while the screen is on, so it's not really a 'defect' but it's a rather terrifying experience to shine that light all over the black screen and look at it from different angles.

Anyone else went through this? :p

2. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I did this too, the screen looked horrendous (only when I shined a light on it).

I could see the suction circles from the manufacturing process plus smudges and left over cleaning residue.

I cleaned it myself with the correct cleaner which obviously mixed with theirs and smeared.

After several cleans and a through drying with a microfiber towel it is now almost perfect.

3. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

OK I'll never do that because I couldn't handle it.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you have to make a special effort to find things to upset you...don't make the special effort!:p

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

100% agree. I'm twitching just thinking about it.

6. magilla macrumors regular

You ever thought of shining a UV lamp on it to see it there's any latent blood splatters? While you're at it, give your keyboard a once-over with the UV lamp and see if THAT doesn't make your skin crawl!:eek:

You could always use wear a pair of latex gloves when typing or alternately, go out and buy a class 4 biohazard suit and wear THAT while you're walking around.

Sheesh!

7. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

This is something I will refrain from trying!

In the past, I have had great experience with cleaning my iMac screens doing the following process:

• Run water from my faucet until it is scolding hot
    • Take micro fiber cloth and fold it into a square (like a pad that would be use for applying/buffing wax on a car)
    • Dampen one corner of the square with the hot water
    • Buff the screen with the one damp portion of the screen - circular motion, horizontal motion, and then vertical motion
    • Next I take the dry area of the cloth and buff in the same direction (with the exception of the circular motion).
    • I buff until it is smooth as silk and I see no more water marks, smudges or stains. It is crucially important you use a perfectly clean, debris free micro fiber cloth! I keep mine in a ziplock bag and wash them by themselves after using two times.
    • I then tilt the screen into the light (natural light or just regular floor/ceiling light - no flash lights yet lol!) and see if there are any smudges or marks. If there is, I finish with the finer cloth that was included from Apple - the black cloth - as it sucks up dust like no ones business. It is a typical glasses cleaning type of cloth. I have a few laying around too.

(When working with an LCD screen without glass, I tend to buff lighter)

Yes this means I hold my iMac in my lap the entire time doing it. It's quite the process but I have had the best results doing it like this. I do it about once a month. I usually do this after I wipe my entire desk down and clean the speakers off and other items with a second micro fiber cloth.

I like a clean work station! :eek:

8. Saltymac macrumors member

The con I see with your step 1. buff is that if you have some grit and grime on glass you will introduce micro scratches. I would clean the screen lightly first to get the debris off then your process looks good if you need to have an ocd fix.

9. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Very good point. I failed to mention that I use a can of compressed air first to get any dust or grit off the screen. You're right though, maybe I should modify my process a bit further. Almost like a pre-cleaning!

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Shine a light on anything = gah!!

I never buff any glass displays. Asking for trouble. Gentle wipes is all my iMac gets, and VERY infrequently. Not worth the risk...

11. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

My friend has a Mouse Glove.

12. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I have a bad habit of slightly damaging new items that I get. I suppose I probably caused the couple tiny micro-scratches that are visible now with a flashlight.

Also, there appear to be what look like specks of dust in a few places, which don't move when I rub the cloth over them. They're not at all visible when the screen is on.. they're not stuck pixels.. they're just something on the glass.

Edit: I think I am luckier than some of the other people here in that I actually stop caring about any of these things after a few days of owning the new item, haha.

13. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Do not do stuff like this. It will just make you crazy. IMHO, if you can't see something with your naked eye it's just not worth worrying about.

Years ago I had a PC that had a clear plastic side panel so I could show off all the cool internal detail I had done. I once accidentally shined a flashlight on the "glass" and it showed up all kinds of surface scratches, smudges, and dust. In normal conditions it looked perfect.

So do yourself a favor, put the iPhone down and enjoy your iMac!

14. magilla macrumors regular

Your "mouse glove" has a technical term... it's called a "Mudjokivis" after it's origin. To whit...

He killed the noble Mudjokivis.
    Of the skin he made him mittens,
    Made them with the fur side inside,
    Made them with the skin side outside.

He, to get the warm side inside,
    Put the cold side skin side outside.

He, to get the cold side outside,
    Put the warm side fur side inside.
    That's why he put the fur side inside,
    Why he put the skin side outside,
    Why he turned them inside outside.

15. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

ha ha that makes two of us...not gonna do it.

16. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

I think you guys are all off your meds!!!!!!!!! :eek:

17. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Yep, I've done that in the past and I won't do it again. Once I know there is something there it bugs me to no end. Like someone above said, a light on anything = gah!