Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Well am I glad I haven't bought an iPhone! I've hacked Mail onto my iPod touch and am totally gobsmacked by the total lack of Inbox management functions. Why can't I mark things as read or unread, or mass delete things?

Yuk.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Why can't I mark things as read or unread,

by simply reading the email, it is marked as read,
and if you hit "details" (by the senders addy/name) in the message, you can mark it as unread.

and I dont think swiping the email to delete it is too time consuming for mass delete!

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
and if you hit "details" (by the senders addy/name) in the message, you can mark it as unread
Heh, okay, at risk of stating the obvious there, but my post was a bit vague.

Let me qualify what I meant - I can't see any way to mark as read/unread or delete in bulk, which is pretty essential.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
and if you hit "details" (by the senders addy/name) in the message, you can mark it as unread.

and I dont think swiping the email to delete it is too time consuming for mass delete!

It is when you've got 50 of the buggers.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Just an FYI, the iPhone is meant to SUPPLEMENT your main computer, it is not intended to BE your in computer. Do the bulk work at home or office, thats all.

I think some people really need to understand the "PDA" concept.

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
I agree about mail's functionality. I tried for a while to make it my "main" email client, but sadly it falls way short. Especially bad is the lack of folders (except with IMAP) and inability to search. As soon as you get more than 50 emails, it's impossible to find anything unless you remember the exact date it was sent.

I have enjoyed iPhone mail a lot more now that I just use it as a mail supplement. I use it only when I'm away from my computer to check on new emails in the last 48 hours only. I would not consider using the iPhone alone for email unless it was for a week or less. I don't try using it to keep track of read/unread status because of the excessive sliding and touching involved.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Just an FYI, the iPhone is meant to SUPPLEMENT your main computer, it is not intended to BE your in computer. Do the bulk work at home or office, thats all.

I think some people really need to understand the "PDA" concept.
Put aside the ever-so-superior tone for a moment and rethink your ignorant comment. I'm barely ever going to use my iPod touch for Mail because that's what my vastly superior-in-all-but-interface-to-the-iPhone Blackberry is for, but it allows me to clear ALL my mail in one go. I'd personally say that ability is exactly the sort of thing a PDA should do. Actually. How annoying is it to get copies of all your email on your PDA of choice and have to go through them all one by one to clear them because you've already dealt with them on your computer?

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
How annoying is it to get copies of all your email on your PDA of choice and have to go through them all one by one to clear them because you've already dealt with them on your computer?

I don't seem to have that problem since if I delete, read, flag, move to another folder... its it changed on the iPhone too. Its called IMAP, welcome to the modern age.

Oh, and its not an ignorant comment, I just hate stupid people. And if you have a Blackberry why did you even install mail on the touch in the first place? Oh, you just want something to bash about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.