Oh no! just bought a mac book and back to school sale starts June 3rd!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pointbreakd, May 30, 2008.

1. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

What do I do? I already opened it and moved all my files over. Will they still let me get an Ipod?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You should have waited until the Back To School offer started. If you return it you'll incur a 10% restock fee.

3. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

I realize I should have waited. The information was released today :(

4. wideholic macrumors newbie

wideholic

Return

Return and get full benefit from 2008 Back to school promotion.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

once he pays the 10% restocking fee, the benefit of the promotion will be mostly cancelled out anyway.

6. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

7. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

8. stevehp macrumors 6502

It's no problem...If it's actually June 3rd, you're within the 14 day policy if the price of your product changes you get the difference if you go in with your receipt.

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change."

9. Minico88 macrumors newbie

Take it back to the store and explain to the clerk that your mom won't let you keep it. If that does not work then start yelling and swearing really loud and I am sure that they will do whatever it takes to get you out of the store. If that doesn't work then be happy with your new Mac and realize the only thing you probably missed out on was a free Ipod. :eek:

10. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

It's 14 days. But it's not techincally a price change it's a promotion IE you need to buy the two together... Do you think I can still make an arguement?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The price isn't going to change though. They're going to offer a mail-in-rebate when you buy a Mac and iPod.

12. stevehp macrumors 6502

With my experience with Apple, if you find a good rep they'll agree with you and understand your argument...Just pack it pack up and play stupid.

13. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. Has anyone actually had experience with this? I feel like if I call I may be able to convince them.

14. darklyt macrumors regular

First, you are eligible, right (college student in the US. I know other countries have them, but they are at different times I believe)?

Second, how much did you pay for your Macbook? Did you get the $1100, $1300, or $1500 model? Assuming $200 off of an iPod, you would get $90, $70 or $50 back respectively, if you ate the 10% restocking fee and got $200 off of an iPod.

Third, will you be within 2 weeks of purchase on June 3rd? It might be best to see what the offer actually is and whether or not you are going to want to take advantage of it before you return your new Macbook.

If you return it and find later that you don't like the deal, you can always find your iPod and Mac a bit cheaper in the refurb store. That might offset the 10% restocking fee.

15. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am eligable. I got the 1300 one with a student discount. I literally bought it last night. I already have an ipod and I don't really need a new one...but I would like one and the fact that I could have waited 5 days is kind of a bummer.

I'll just try calling/going to the store I guess.

16. Hawk. macrumors member

This happened to me two years ago and I bought mine online a week or two before the promotion started.

Call the 800 and be cordial and nice to the customer service rep explaining that you purchased your computer and then this promotion was announced the next day. I believe when I did this they gave me a credit for that $ amount towards an iPod of my choice.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was on digg yesterday...

18. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks I'll give it a try once officailly announced.

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

20. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Went into apple asked for a manager and explained my situation. They used my receipt only and returned the macbook repurchased it and let me choose an ipod. I love apple. Also the online rebate thing is great. No need to clip UPC's...it just looks up you receipt online.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was about to say check out my thread in the MBP forum.

22. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Good

Good for you

I did the same thing two years ago. The store clerk just used my receipt, refunded on a gift card, then I repurchased the Mac with the gift card and paid for the ipod with my credit card, and it was all on the same receipt.

It was a very simple thing, not a big deal.