Oh no not the pre holidaze again... already?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Nov 10, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes it's still before Thanksgiving but hey it's after Halloween so it must be... "the holidaze".... someone said the other day the outlook for retail malls this year is so bad they're thinking they should have had Black Friday on the Fourth of July...

Here's what the AP had on offer from a cruise through Starbucks' memory lane, scarfed up by Axios when they were apparently looking for that last special item in a slow news moment:

StarbucksXmasThenAndNow.jpg

Here’s the Axios added value caption lol.

AxiosAddedValueComments.jpg

So tell me, are you ready to color in your own Starbucks holiday covfefe container? Or are you still putting away the goblins and witches and the strings of orange trick-or-treat lights?

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It's even worse in the UK: Christmas crap goes up before Halloween. We have no fewer than three Sky satellite TV channels dedicated to Christmas movies (bah, humbug).

3. zin macrumors 6502

Starbucks is very unhealthy. I had one of their large eggnog lattes years ago. It was disgustingly sweet and the caloric intake was about half of the entire day’s.

Now they’re going to make it more difficult to spot the hipsters by eliminating the red.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There was a TV ad for something with Christmas carols in it airing before Halloween. Really annoying.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You guys just skip over thanksgiving?

:p

6. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

The 2017 mugs look like something you might get at a movie theatre concession stand.

On the sugars.... I ran through a McD's drive-thru one time and got an iced coffee which apparently I must have requested properly as "iced coffee w/ milk, no sugar" and found it quite refreshing. Next time that summer I did it again a few weeks later, but must have said just "iced coffee w/ milk" and wow... it was hyper-sweet. I haven't been back since. I thought I would pass out from the one gulp I took before I realized what a sugar bomb it was.

I am not ready for the December holidays. My home made Christmas gifts are not all quite done yet. Mega corporation gift cards are killing these retailers if you go by my track record for last minute shopping. There's still time to reform, I guess, but I don't make the effort. And I'm just not ready to start shopping retail for Christmas in November. I used to enjoy making last minute shopping trips in NYC because the stores were all lit up and decorated to a fare thee well, but I find it sort of dreary upstate in the malls out by Binghamton. They just scream "We're desperate, look at our red green silver gold stuff and buy something, anything!"

Maybe I should try more village main street shops closer to Christmas. I'd feel a little more patriotic at least, surely more than I do now if I have to dash into the supermarket and get a handful of plastic megastore gift cards at nearly the last minute.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Ah yes, the controversial solid red 2015 cup. Almost forgot about that huge controversy.

We don't put up Christmas decorations until December 1st. I'm fine with maintaining that tradition. As much as I do love the holiday season, I don't like when everything comes too early and you're sick of it all weeks before Christmas.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Honesty I like the holiday season, it's the time between January 2 and March 1 that sucks. Cold and snowy, and did I mention cold.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My local supermarket was advertising chocolate Santas more than two weeks ago. Have they no shame?! :p

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Supermarkets here had Halloween candy in the stores in August.

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

Trying to get as much done next week as possible. Not a fan of Eggnog Season.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did you put rum in it?

13. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hah, shameless is when a drugstore candy aisle still has leftover chocolate Easter bunnies on a 10% off sale in the back of the store in August, hoping to score off college kids returning to school in the fall and getting the munchies after a round of weed. Not the same as day-after-Christmas sale of holiday cards at half price.

14. chown33 macrumors 604

I just go straight to the rum, and look at a picture of eggs. After a while, I start thinking "eggy weggs, I'd like to smash 'em." That's when I put on the Glorious Ninth, and rejoice that I am cured.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The best Christmas movie I've seen in recent years: Bad Santa. The worst Christmas movie I've seen in recent years: Bad Santa 2.

And that is emblematic of a particularly American philosophy. If something is good, then obviously more of that must be better? Apparently not.

So we get Christmas starting well before Thanksgiving. We have Christmas lights up a good quarter of the year. We have people loading up on junk on Black Friday. And we have Starbucks (a firm founded and run by an observant Jew) pouring Caramel Brulee and Eggnog Latte's into cheerfully printed red cups in the first month of November.

Side note: Whenever one of those cheerful Starbucks baristas ask for my name to write on the cup, I always give them a fake one: Sebastian. Gustavo. Gunter. Wolfgang. Gunner. Lachlan. Laestrygone. (The last one is Swedish. And has a peculiar backstory: The Laestrygones were a race of giant cannibals who appear in The Odyssey. And apparently some Swedes name their newborn little boy in honor of them.)

That's my little act of protest against the relentlessly insincere friendliness of chains like Starbucks. Bah Humbug! indeed. But then I've never had the misfortune of having another Gustavo grab my coffee by mistake. So there is method to my meanness.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Was just at the local strip mall...Christmas decor everywhere. Even a Christmas tree..not decorated yet, but still too soon for me!

Of course that is still slower than Disney which literally switches their Halloween out for Christmas overnight. And Halloween festivities practically start in August now. I just can't get into the haunted house mood when it is still hot summer weather. On the other end, Disneyland will have it's small world ride singing Christmas carols into February like it does every year which always seems really weird. But they don't like to have too many rides closed at the same time, so it has to wait until after they are done with flipping Haunted Mansion back to normal.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So they have Christmas haunted mansion?

18. darksithpro macrumors regular

SB sucks, Peet's Coffee is better.

19. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

A colleague who worked in California gave me the Los Angeles Starbucks china mug, the really big one. I love the tomato-soup-orange palm tree on it and use it just for tomato soup in winter. Fished it out of the cupboard today, in fact. I don't know if they sell those any more.

I've never had a cup of Starbucks coffee, they don't have Starbucks around here and I just bought deli coffee in those ubiquitous blue and white paper cups the whole time I worked in NYC. Was never sure if there'd be coffee in the pantry and was determined not to be any IT group's "mother" in charge of making coffee or cleaning the refrigerator either. :p

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Holiday Season aka when Domestic violence spikes up.

21. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

I had one boss who bought a small artificial Christmas tree for her apartment and left it sitting on a table in her living room until St. Patrick's day to fend off the grey gloom of winter in the canyons of the city.

Up here the gloom is mostly in November or December and by January the issue is snow blindness... so my artificial tree gets undecorated and packed away promptly after Three Kings Day. It's tiny and has no lights, just cutouts of Christmas ornaments fabric glued onto paper ornament shapes. I just put it someplace and surround it with a couple yard cuts of Christmas-looking background fabrics. This way there are no untoward incidents between that tree and the two old but ever curious kittycats in residence. At first when I had this place up here I had a young indoor-outdoor cat who treated my real Christmas trees like they were still outdoors. You can imagine I had mixed results with that gig. Here's my little tree from some time when I bothered to take its photo.

CatProofCrhistmasTree.jpg

The tree itself and little chunk of tree limb that it stands on are pretty old. It was up in the attic of a nearby village general store for at least decades I guess, and sometimes landed in the display window at Christmas. One year the proprietor gave it to me when she was swapping out the store window to some generic winter scene instead. So the "catproof!!!" lightbulb went on in my head and that was the end of my real trees.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For over a decade I’ve seen Christmas decoration up at the malls after Halloween. :( I was at Home Depot yesterday (a hardware/lumber store) and they already had their Black Friday stuff out and for sale. This is much better than the get up at 4 am routine and stand in line. I also think that the stores will open on Thanksgiving afternoon and offer their official BF specials.

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Would you say you're more into milky tea with lumps of sugar?

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was pretty much a diehard real Xmas tree person until we moved to Guam, which had no real fir trees and shipped none in (as I recall).Once I bought a fake tree there was no going back and have had fake trees ever since. :)

25. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Usually it's because your in-laws are over. I've come to love my in-laws over the years, and we do joke often. But if I were to experience a Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation week or two weeks? I'd rather spend that time with a Stasi officer. And I'm not a stranger to Stasi officers.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I've got lots of large mugs, including a 38 oz one somewhere. Starbucks is blargh, but they make a nice blonde roast provided you can get a recent roasting. It's about the only thing I order from them if I have to get it. Usually get it in the biggest hot cup with portion of half and half.