Oh no not the pre holidaze again... already?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Nov 10, 2017.

1. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

I was out in California for graduate study in music after college and said on the phone to a friend in November that I liked California but missed the sharper change of eastern seasons... somehow that got back to a professor of mine and he and his wife enclosed a couple long pine tree needles in their Christmas card... I was so homesick for the feel and smells of wintry Christmas at that moment that I almost cried in the post office!

Here I have my little fake tree but the real things are right outside all winter. Best of both worlds I guess. I don't miss the hassle of getting a real tree bundled into a sheet and dragged outside after Christmas, trying not to end up with needles starting to drop all over the pathway out. I kept a real tree watered but some of needles always shed anyway...

2. Zenithal macrumors 601

I would have thought you would have purchased various extract oils and used an atomizer.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's ok, no need to worry, those can come later.......but right now it's the time of year when you should be distributing your pre-holidaze gifts :D

4. Zenithal macrumors 601

5. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

God, a quart of coffee in a 38 oz mug... sounds right for when I was maybe 35. I probably did more than that a day in coffees back then. Not any more. That's why my Los Angeles Starbucks mug just gets used to serve up tomato soup!

Sounds way too hip or new agey for me and it was way before new age was hip. Hippies were hip and I wasn't even that hip. Anyway I was broke working as an au pair for room and board and owing the tuition to a relative... it was worth it and meanwhile i lived in a really nice townhouse in Jackson Street with the top floor all to myself most of the time, but I don't miss being that flat broke, I have to say. I knew I had to come east to get work after that because the cost of living in the bay area was way past what I was going to earn in the mid 60s, even using an economics degree to get some doors to open.

I was ready to become a New Yorker by time I left California. The 15c subway rides and a hundred bucks a month for a fourth-floor walkup rental shared with one flatmate, I could manage that on a hundred bucks a week gross pay. How times and prices have changed.. I'm shocked now at the cost of coffee, subways, taxis and every other damn thing when I go down to the city. But I miss the food... so I go once in awhile, stomp around the old neighborhood and eat my way through all the restaurants my friends have discovered or in a few cases still frequent from years and years ago, those mostly Chinese or Chinese-Cuban, but also the irrepressible V&T Italian up by Columbia University, just for old time's sake, not because it's stellar or spectacular, just... familiar. This time of year I drop down there in December sometimes just to catch the ambience of a city that does still know how to decorate for Christmas.

6. Zenithal macrumors 601

Nah. It's the same concept as those old Vicks machines from the 70s or 80s, I forget which. They're still around. I've got one in the kitchen for using after fragrant dishes. I've got one in my home office, and one at work. I use a variety of fir and pine oils at work during the winter to simulate Christmas tree smells. I can't exactly have someone bring in a tree into my office and let it sit there.
    I'm way past my thirties. Coffee is water to me. It barely has an effect anymore. It's just pleasurable. Going with straight coffee, I probably consumer upwards of 80 oz of the stuff daily.

7. MadeTheSwitch, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes they have since 2001 and its wonderful. I like it much more than the original. But I love Nightmare Before Christmas so perhaps I am not the most objective. But I just think the holiday version is so much more interesting to look at visually. The audio is more interesting too. Plus every year they make it a little different, so there is always something different to look at year to year. Technically it is more advanced than the regular version as they have made lots of upgrades to lighting, and projections. But they never leave those things up and instead revert it back to old 1960‘s mansion every year. Except for the Hat Box ghost which was added a few years ago and is amazing!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Mansion_Holiday

IMG_5746.JPG IMG_5747.JPG

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I like how their holiday cups have evolved into a tribute to the animation cutaways seen in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

9. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I only display my menorah when Fox News certifies the annual War on Xmas has begun.

Tally Ho ho ho and shalom.

10. Zenithal macrumors 601

2019 lines up nicely with Christmas week.

11. zin Suspended

Just water these days.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yes, but there is a November holiday in which the British burn a man in effigy who died 400+ years ago. Talk about spite...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    Sacrilege.

What's the point of Christmas if you're not stabbed by pine needles as you fall drunkenly into the tree?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    Hollywood is running out of ideas, and it's clear why: Seems like the old f**ts who run it are too focused on sexually harassing everything with a pulse.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

This year Halloween started in July and Christmas after Halloween.

Every year it gets worse and worse.

Stop the madness.

As a Jew I don’t care if you wish me Merry Christmas or put up lights or decorate the office. I don’t mean to sound like Screwge, Just lets confine the music and commercials to a reasonable time period.

Sometimes people point out Judaism has a lot of multiday holidays. My new response is going to be we don’t have a 2 month holiday called Christmas. It’s funny too how advertisers and radio stations “ween” off Christmas advertising after the new year.

14. Zenithal macrumors 601

I like it when Hanukkah is around Christmas. It means the Jewish bakeries make rugelach, and both are pretty rare this side of the states. I can buy a ton and hide them, and eat them as I please. With all the home baked stuff and ordered pastries, the scent tends to blend in nicely. You ever try hiding raspberry walnut rugelach in the middle of spring? It isn't happening, bud. The only rugelach outside of winter is cinnamon walnut. Blegh.

Not to forget marizpan and poppy seed kringle. Delicious.

15. ah1488 Suspended

ah1488

a place of settlement, activity, or residence
    what was controversial about the solid red 2015 cup?
    my wife and i decided not to put few decorations up this year as im an airline pilot and gone a lot and i dont want her to be responsible for putting it away.

16. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hah. Right now after that severe blast of arctic air and a couple inches of snow, I'm distributing mouse traps to select areas in the cellar and a few places in one corner of the kitchen. The mice do start trying to get in once they realize summer might really be over. Just another part of pre-holidaze. It's the only time of year I don't mind seeing a stray barn cat nosing around out back. When there is one, I think of him or her as the border patrol. My two indoor cats are old and lazy so the answer to mice from me is a few Jawz "welcome mats" in here plus that random border patrol from around the neighborhood outside.

17. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

It was accused of being anti-Christian and a sign of the "war on Christmas" due to its stark minimalist design and lack of Christmas imagery.

18. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah. Can never decide whether to think "Jesus wept" or "God rolled eyes" or just "first world tizzy" when we get carried away by stuff like that. Oh well, controversy sells newspapers *and* holiday fare at Starbucks. People drop in just to see if a cup design is as offensive as they read somewhere on social media, and stay for a pastry while they're at it...

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I just googled some of that. It looks delicious.

20. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

And what about potato latkes... I like to make little ones, like 2-1/2" or so, and put fancy toppings on them -- like some with caramelized onions and lentils, some with crème fraîche and freshly ground black pepper, some with .... yeah, caviar... I did a bunch like that one year when the Christmas and Hanukkah seasons were in overlap mode; made the latkes ahead and then assembled them with their toppings on site at a party, for appetizers. No leftovers... sigh...

21. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

The word "snowflake," in its simplistically derisive current usage, comes to mind. Some people need to, pardon the vulgarity, grow an ornamental pair.

[​IMG]

22. ah1488 Suspended

ah1488

a place of settlement, activity, or residence
    seriously? how so? when i saw the picture i just saw a red cup and red is common during the holiday season.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Proper hipsters wouldn't be caught dead with Starbucks.

24. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nor would properly reverential coffee drinkers either?

We're had a few random remarks in here about quality of Starbucks coffees, leaving aside how the cups look, but I've been expecting the entire crew from the Expresso Enthusiasts thread to check in here and straighten us all out about appropriate content of holiday coffee cups, regardless of when pre-holidaze cup designs are released by chain vendors, or what the cups look like.

But the espresso crowd are pretty serious about coffee so must still be busy savoring whatever the favored brews are for mid-autumn. The last time I was in that thread I was just looking for a new bean grinder, so because of the handy Wiki post at the top of that thing my tour was brief. Anyway I've long since outed myself as a Keurig aficionado for my first cup in the morning, so for all I know I've been banned from that thread even though I do use a French press later in the day... :D

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, quite right, teehee...

Actually I can't even drink Starbucks if I wanted to these days, as it's a recipe for an instant sour stomach. I don't find their coffee to be particularly good for various reasons, but I tend to subscribe to the idea that one should drink what one likes.

That Keurig machine, however, might have earned a ban, but the possession and use of a French press is a mitigating factor. I think we can settle on probation for the time being.

As for holiday cups, well, whatever. Although I could easily live without the full blown commercialized sensory onslaught of all things Christmas that really accelerates at this time of the year.