Oh PLEASE people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
everyone keeps clammoring away that the "average" person will pick up the iPad because it's made for the "average" person.

well, what's a better judge of the general populace than a poll....say conducted by CNN...on their main page. CNN viewers are relatively educated, into browsing the web and can probably afford the $499 price tag.

wow, there are your results.....much better than a silly macrumors poll.

Quick vote:

Do you plan to buy an Apple iPad?

No 91% 120874

Yes 9% 11493

(results as of 2:55 pm CST, 03/05/10)

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
We've gone over this before. There are 300 million people in the U.S. If "only" 9% of them buy one, that's almost 30 million units. The iPhone to date has only sold about 45 million units in the world. That's less than 1% of people in the world buying one!

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
Your argument is that 9% of people that have never touched the device want to buy it?

I'd say Apple would be happy with those numbers.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
We've gone over this before. There are 300 million people in the U.S. If "only" 9% of them buy one, that's almost 30 million units. The iPhone to date has only sold about 45 million units in the world.
and phones, in general, are MORE popular and more widely bought/used than computers/netbooks/tablets.

so if the world struggles to get out 45million phones...what do you think it'll be for the ipad?

Your argument is that 9% of people that have never touched the device want to buy it?

I'd say Apple would be happy with those numbers.
LOL....not 9% of the world population, 9% of the people that took the POLL.

Baaaaahahahaa.....yeah, apple would be "happy" if they only sold 11k units....LOL

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
wow, there are your results.....much better than a silly macrumors poll.
I'd imagine most of the people clicking yes or no haven't seen much beyond any superficial coverage of the iPad in the first place. You'd probably have seen similar results before the iPhone came out.

More than a few people I know want one. Even some that surprised me.

Geoffrois

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
Oh my! They will only sell 11,000 iPads, that's not a lot!

No wait they will sell an iPad to 9% of the population of the US so it means they will sell 30 million!!!

No wait this poll has no real value!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There are some real miss guided fools out there thinking that the ipad will not sell well.

Then there are the smarter bunch that know for a fact it'll sell well.

Which group are you in op?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Are you trying to convince us not to buy one?
Or are you trying to convince us hardly anyone will buy one?
Or that if you buy one you are stupid?

Why do you even care if people buy one or not?

I don't look at polls to decide what I want to buy
I buy based on my own personal preferences and choices

Put me down on the "buy" column

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
There are some real miss guided fools out there thinking that the ipad will not sell well.

Then there are the smarter bunch that know for a fact it'll sell well.

Which group are you in op?
you set me up for failure with those choices. how about you even out the choices and make it a balanced selection......then i'll answer. ;)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
We've gone over this before. There are 300 million people in the U.S. If "only" 9% of them buy one, that's almost 30 million units. The iPhone to date has only sold about 45 million units in the world.
Yes, this.

People always seem to leave out the details when they cite polls.....

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
and phones, in general, are MORE popular and more widely bought/used than computers/netbooks/tablets.

so if the world struggles to get out 45million phones...what do you think it'll be for the ipad?
I don't see your point. If 9% of the U.S. buys an iPad, that's about 30 million units sold. Considering that's almost as many people as bought an iPhone (which as you admit will tend to have a bigger market) in the entire world, I would say that would make the iPad a great success.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I think you've got that argument the wrong way around. According to the CNN poll, nearly 30 million people are planning to buy the iPad, despite the "fact" (which I think is unproven but I'll give you that) that they belong to a category of devices that are generally in less demand than a phone. Therefore they are already more of a success than the iPhone, provided the people who said they were going to buy one actually do so.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am guessing before the iPod and iPhone were available most polls would have been similar

Regardless, I don't buy one because everyone else does or doesn't
I buy if it meets my needs

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Are you trying to convince us not to buy one?
Or are you trying to convince us hardly anyone will buy one?
Or that if you buy one you are stupid?

Why do you even care if people buy one or not?

I don't look at polls to decide what I want to buy
I buy based on my own personal preferences and choices

Put me down on the "buy" column
just showing people here at macrumors what the general buying concensus is for the average, net browsing person on CNN will get/want an iPad.

nothing more, nothing less. but the poll shows that just the average CNN web surfer could not care less about the iPad. isn't that Apple's target audience......news, internet surfers??? and over 120k people don't want what Apple is sellin'.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't see your point. If 9% of the U.S. buys an iPad, that's about 30 million units sold. Considering that's almost as many people as bought an iPhone (which as you admit will tend to have a bigger market) in the entire world, I would say that would make the iPad a great success.
see reply #6

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Polls are crap

9 percent of the people who bothered to respond are interesting in the iPad after going to CNN.com while the poll was active.

And you can't transpose numbers so easily to say that since 9 percent of the respondents said they would buy one that 9 percent of the population would. Ridiculous. That would ASSUME that the EVERYONE can afford/etc one. And the pool of people who are viable consumers is smaller than the population.

Statistics only show that they can be made to show anything

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
LOL....not 9% of the world population, 9% of the people that took the POLL.

Baaaaahahahaa.....yeah, apple would be "happy" if they only sold 11k units....LOL
Because only people that take a poll on CNN would buy an iPad? That makes no sense.

It's a lot more likely that there is a much larger pool of potential buyers that don't take the poll on CNN.

As a matter of fact, I'll say it's a safe bet that they sell more iPad's than the total number of people that ever take that poll.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Because only people that take a poll on CNN would buy an iPad? That makes no sense.

It's a lot more likely that there is a much larger pool of potential buyers that don't take the poll on CNN.
let me bust out crayons to explain it:

the poll is just a simple, generic poll that the regular, average, person who surfs the internet and news site CNN (just like WSJ, NYT, etc) came across. the poll was just asking if that average person was planning on getting the iPad. out of 131,000 people that read the poll, 120,000 said NO.

now, factor in that the average, regular person is the target Apple is going after. This gives a nice, but small, indicator of how the average web surfer is aware (or lack thereof, which is apples job to market to them) of the iPad and if they are interested in buying it.

statistically, even if you threw in another 2 million poll takers that are just average web surfers, you would still see the same results, only the numbers would be greater on the amount that clicked the poll.

some of you should really go back to school and brush up on economics and statistics.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I'm with the OP on this one.

If the question was about an iPhone or a BMW 3 Series or a pair of shoes, I'd expect 9% to be about right (although still quite pathetic), because of each of those products there are many other makes and models to choose instead. With the iPad there is only one, so this is people saying they don't want this type of product as well as not wanting the iPad.

I'd say, on any poll about anything, only 9% of respondants saying they'd buy it is fairly awful. Only Apple fanboys can see this as a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.