oh, Portland. The left going too far.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
From the article:

Activists threatened to drag local Republicans off a parade route if they weren’t excluded from a local celebration. Organizers cancelled the entire event in response.
I learned a phrase yesterday on NPR: Heckler's Veto. I think this is an example of that - the threat of possible violence is enough to shut things down. So, the hecklers win if they get what they want through violence, and the hecklers win if they get what they want through the mere threat of violence.

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
What a darn shame. Absolutely nobody benefits form this type of behavior. The entire event was cancelled?? :(

Unlike you, @blackfox, I trend right. But I (like you) would have no problem with members from the other side of the aisle participating in a parade. They aren't doing me any harm.

The hypocrisy of this type of behavior is unreal. Too much to put into a reasonable-length post. Again, what a darn shame.

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
this is not liberals this is nut jobs on the left. but I know your brush is the hugest brush of all.
Ah, Steve. Don't be so quick to attack. I think @Zombie Acorn 's post was supposed to be satirical.

And left = Liberal = Democrat. The terms are interchangeable these days. Likewise Republican = GOP = conservative.

Reactions: jkcerda

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/04/a-chilling-threat-of-political-violence-in-portland/524334/
Look, I trend left (at least domestically), but stuff like this is just doing liberal causes no favors. I live in Portland. I have no shortage of commentary on right-wing lunacy and shenanigans - but this is just kind of shameful imo. Missing the forest for the trees...

comments?
you guys ("lefties" in general) are getting the KKK/TEA party treatment that "conservatives" got, welcome to Murika and THANKS for saying it's shameful.

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
They shouldn’t have cancelled the event. All the authorities would have to do is drop a few boxes of artisanal donuts on the perimeter and Portland residence would clear the streets and pile on top of them. It isn’t pretty, but it works.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
What a darn shame. Absolutely nobody benefits form this type of behavior. The entire event was cancelled?? :(

Unlike you, @blackfox, I trend right. But I (like you) would have no problem with members from the other side of the aisle participating in a parade. They aren't doing me any harm.

The hypocrisy of this type of behavior is unreal. Too much to put into a reasonable-length post. Again, what a darn shame.
well, what bothers me with this (and many right-wing escapades) is the sense of entitlement and moral-superiority. This being divorced from any meaningful process to bring ideas to the table and create something. Christ, Portland's city motto is "the city that works"...bloody hilarious.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I love irony, never change my friend.

OR is pretty liberal.
humm last time I did it? last time you did it? should we find out??
actually Oregon is both rural areas can be very republican or at least conservative. but they don't say keep Portland weird for nothing,

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
well, yeah. Also a bit ironic to be quasi-fascist to oppose the same. Also lattes though...
Both extremes of the political spectrum resort to violence, and it's pretty sad.

Can't just point at the Left or the Right in isolation - both are bad as each other.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Both extremes of the political spectrum resort to violence, and it's pretty sad.

Can't just point at the Left or the Right in isolation - both are bad as each other.
all things that go too far to one side seem to be violent politics religion even sports can be.
[doublepost=1493246119][/doublepost]
I just learned from you Stevie.
more like Jkcerda since he does it all the time and I don't anymore.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
comments?
Seems par for the course. You've got the far-Right parading around with their guns, their "American exceptionalism", their white-power dog whistles; in fact, a whole collection of beliefs and behaviors which implicitly (or explicitly) advocate violence to back up their personal philosophy.

And, you've got the far-Left, with their organizations preaching subversion, their revolutionaries, their willingness to sacrifice in order to achieve their goals; in fact, a whole collection of beliefs and behaviors which implicitly (or explicitly) advocate violence to back up their personal philosophy.

It's all the same thing in the end. People who believe in their own philosophy so deeply that they decide it should overrule anyone else's philosophy. To the point of causing harm to others.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Seems like the left is more interested in shutting down anyone that doesn't follow them in lockstep.
The fringe is certainly acting that way. I don't support their acts.

Conservatives can't be shut out, and shouldn't be vilified. We've been able to work together and move this country forwards for decades ... so long as we don't get lost in obstructionism and violence.