Oh yea samesung! Take this! ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acidflame, Sep 15, 2012.

1. acidflame macrumors member

2. Jnyce macrumors regular

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

4. Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

I still like the Galaxy S1 which has the typical Android touch screen interface and a slide out QWERTY keyboard. I think it's a shame most modern smartphones are pretty much abandoning buttons completely.

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

nice

6. Davewithak macrumors regular

I miss him. He passed way too early. There was just something special about his keynotes.

7. Briview macrumors regular

I miss him too... more than the keynotes, his effects in the company.

I actually ended up going through the original 2007 presentation again just out of seeing Steve again and noticed at 39:37, that the split view in Mail which was taken out in the last minute could possibly be remade today because of the taller screen.

8. Surrylic macrumors regular

I generally never watch videos that people recommend, but I'm really glad I checked this out. Amazing! I had never watched this before, it was mind blowing thinking about how he was changing the entire world right then. Floored.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Goole and Samsung too...:D

[​IMG]

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I skipped to 6:33, then wound up watching the entire thing again. Steve had something magical about him that sucked u in. I loved listening to him speak. Gone too soon :(.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Confidence. No disrespect to the current Apple team, they are brilliant, but their performance during a keynote makes them come off as B.S. artists that don't even believe what they are saying. Jobs had presence, you hung on his every word. Only Steve Jobs could excite people about iPhone bumpers.

I think the big problem with the current crew is that they are trying to imitate Jobs which is an impossible task. They need to find their own presentation method and own it like Jobs owned his.

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Great post +1!

I never get tired of watching that video, watched it all the way through again, great way to start a Sunday morning.

I sure miss Steve Jobs.

Samsung will NEVER be Apple, they do not 'get it', they may as well give up now.

13. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

7:35 is interesting... Can't say he didn't warn them!

14. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Jobs was the ultimate salesman, for sure! Anyone who's done similar dog and pony shows, had to admire his way with words.

For example, he talked about keyboards taking up precious frontal space, while carefully ignoring the fact that on-screen keyboards also take up precious display space when being used... a UI problem which slide-out keyboards solve.

For that matter, he was clever to only show smartphone designs with front keyboards. But then, it wouldn't have been so dramatic if he'd compared the new 2007 iPhone against, say, a real life WinCE touch phone from 2005:

purple_2005.png

Indeed, the part where he calls it "magic" did bring laughter from the crowd. They knew that meant he was heading off into RDF land, which was the most entertaining part of his presentations.

His main point was that it didn't need a stylus, which had far more to do with the size of UI elements than anything else. (Other phones didn't need a stylus to recognize a touch, either.)

"Far more accurate" than what? Certainly not more than a stylus. In fact, Apple's touch implementation deliberately throws out tiny touches because it's geared towards seeing fat fingertips. Perhaps he meant more sensitive because of the capacitive screen? That would make sense.

Finally, there's the famous "we patented it" comment, which partly referred to Jobs' mistaken belief that Apple invented multi-touch or pinch-to-zoom... misconceptions which would help make him so angry at Google four years later. Apple even tried to trademark the name "Multi-Touch" (and failed due to Jeff Han's intervention).

Great stuff, but Jobs' sales pitches unfortunately led a lot of people to innocently believe in some rather inaccurate ideas. (E.g. all phones had keyboards, Apple invented multi-touch or even touchscreens, they were first with apps, 3G used too much battery in 2007 but suddenly was okay in 2008, etc.) Listening to Jobs on a roll, is like listening to a late night TV infomercial: take them both with a large grain of salt.

16. zone23 macrumors 68000

Ha Ha classic..

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

SJ really was the man! I watched the whole video. what an amazing moment in technology. There really was nothing like it at the time.

18. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I remember shortly after the iPhone was released if someone was using theirs in public EVERYBODY had to touch the phone. It truly was a status symbol.

19. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

This. I remember the first person I saw with one in high school. We were mindblown.