Ohio executes inmate with 1-drug lethal injection

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
LUCASVILLE, Ohio – Ohio executed a convicted killer on Tuesday through the first U.S. lethal injection using a single drug, a supposedly less painful method than previous executions with three drugs.

Kenneth Biros was pronounced dead at 11:47 a.m. Tuesday, about 43 minutes after members of the execution team began preparing him by attempting to insert IV needles at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville.

The actual execution appeared to last just 10 minutes, about the usual length of time in the past when Ohio used a three-drug method. The execution team appeared to have trouble finding usable veins but eventually completed the process after about 30 minutes.

Biros' chest heaved up and down several times and he moved his head a couple of times over a period of about two minutes before his body stopped moving. He apologized for his crime and thanked his friends and family for supporting him.

The mother, sister and brother of his victim applauded as the warden announced the time of death.

Ohio changed its execution method from three drugs to a single anesthetic following a failed attempt at putting a different inmate to death in September. Other states still use a combination of three drugs.

Biros was sentenced to die for killing a woman in 1991, then scattering her body parts in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
LINK

Thought I would share this as capital punishment is a frequently debated topic here.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
While I'm not exactly opposed to the death penalty I think it is a little macabre for them to be applauding his death.
I agree, and that's one of the reasons I am opposed. Humanity needs to move beyond the concept of revenge-based justice.

Agreed, although people grieve in varying ways.
I imagine that's the way I'd grieve if I happened upon a large sum of money.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I am all for the death penalty simply as a means of elimination in extreme cases it is a necessary thing--no emotion, no pity, no remorse, just removal of the defective piece doing damage to the society as a whole. Do it effectively and cost efficient rather than drag it out in clear cut cases--as long as there are no questions as to guilt. I bet Ohio might save a few bucks changing to this method its not as sloppy as firing squads, hangman's neuces or electric charis--at least until technology comes along making instant whole bodily disintegration an option.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I am all for the death penalty simply as a means of elimination in extreme cases it is a necessary thing--no emotion, no pity, no remorse, just removal of the defective piece doing damage to the society as a whole. Do it effectively and cost efficient rather than drag it out in clear cut cases--as long as there are no questions as to guilt. I bet Ohio might save a few bucks changing to this method its not as sloppy as firing squads, hangman's neuces or electric charis--at least until technology comes along making instant whole bodily disintegration an option.
The issue is that the costs are higher. It costs more to try a capital case, more to house a capital inmate, and the execution is hardly ever quick, and it will be littered with appeals. The problem is that you can't make it a quick process because that assumes a flawless justice system.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I could care less if states try to find more "humane" was to execute someone. I wish they'd just outlaw capital punishment. I'd rather have them sitting in a cell with no chance at parole for the rest of their lives then being given the easy way out.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
European Convention on Human Rights, Protocol 13, Article 1: The death penalty shall be abolished. No one shall be condemned to such penalty or executed.

And for that I am thankful.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
European Convention on Human Rights, Protocol 13, Article 1: The death penalty shall be abolished. No one shall be condemned to such penalty or executed.

And for that I am thankful.
That is nice, but we have different laws. And for that I am thankful.;)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Thought I would share this as capital punishment is a frequently debated topic here.
Yes it is frequently debated here although there has never been any progress. Even if the death penalty were carried out in the most humane painless manner and was only reserved for the most brutal of crimes people would still oppose it.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Yes it is frequently debated here although there has never been any progress. Even if the death penalty were carried out in the most humane painless manner and was only reserved for the most brutal of crimes people would still oppose it.
Pro-lifers oppose it regardless of the method or crime.

drewsof07

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I think the main reason for this was to avoid future claims of cruel and unusual punishment considering the failed attempt earlier this year. Gotta be constitutional and all.

gothiquegirrl

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Planet Earth
That is nice, but we have different laws. And for that I am thankful.;)
Yup, me too... But i'm from Texas. We like to kill people for all kinds of things here... In fact, i think most of us would be ok with hanging or using the electric chair. Personally, I know I miss ol' Sparkie.. Everyone likes a good fireworks display, right?

I am ok with revenge based justice. In fact, i'm ok with not having to pay for some murder's room and board for 20 to life. No body pays MY way in this world.. Why should I pay for someone else's choices? Choosing to kill someone ( not self defense or in defense of a defenseless soul .. ect..) SHOULD be choosing to forfeit your own life.

And for the record, I am not anti-abortion..

drewsof07

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
It hardly works as a deterrent then. How many people in Texas are executed each year? Over 300? There are still murders happening...
What sort of argument is that? We should stop punishing people because others outside are still committing crimes?? :rolleyes: