Ohio executes inmate with 1-drug lethal injection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

LINK

Thought I would share this as capital punishment is a frequently debated topic here.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It will be interesting to see if any other states go to this 1 drug method.

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

While I'm not exactly opposed to the death penalty I think it is a little macabre for them to be applauding his death.

4. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Agreed, although people grieve in varying ways.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I agree, and that's one of the reasons I am opposed. Humanity needs to move beyond the concept of revenge-based justice.

I imagine that's the way I'd grieve if I happened upon a large sum of money.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It was the victim's family, so I think they deserve some latitude in that regard.

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Agreed - it's sick.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If someone cut one of my family members up and spread him/her over the country I would have popped a bottle of champagne upon his death.

9. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I am all for the death penalty simply as a means of elimination in extreme cases it is a necessary thing--no emotion, no pity, no remorse, just removal of the defective piece doing damage to the society as a whole. Do it effectively and cost efficient rather than drag it out in clear cut cases--as long as there are no questions as to guilt. I bet Ohio might save a few bucks changing to this method its not as sloppy as firing squads, hangman's neuces or electric charis--at least until technology comes along making instant whole bodily disintegration an option.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The issue is that the costs are higher. It costs more to try a capital case, more to house a capital inmate, and the execution is hardly ever quick, and it will be littered with appeals. The problem is that you can't make it a quick process because that assumes a flawless justice system.

11. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I could care less if states try to find more "humane" was to execute someone. I wish they'd just outlaw capital punishment. I'd rather have them sitting in a cell with no chance at parole for the rest of their lives then being given the easy way out.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Then I pop a bottle of champage upon being more human than you.

13. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Exactly what I was thinking. Well said.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The taste of justice mixed with my self interest in revenge makes my champagne taste better.

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

European Convention on Human Rights, Protocol 13, Article 1: The death penalty shall be abolished. No one shall be condemned to such penalty or executed.

And for that I am thankful.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is nice, but we have different laws. And for that I am thankful.;)

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yes it is frequently debated here although there has never been any progress. Even if the death penalty were carried out in the most humane painless manner and was only reserved for the most brutal of crimes people would still oppose it.

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Pro-lifers oppose it regardless of the method or crime.

19. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I think the main reason for this was to avoid future claims of cruel and unusual punishment considering the failed attempt earlier this year. Gotta be constitutional and all.

20. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

AMEN.

21. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Yup, me too... But i'm from Texas. We like to kill people for all kinds of things here... In fact, i think most of us would be ok with hanging or using the electric chair. Personally, I know I miss ol' Sparkie.. Everyone likes a good fireworks display, right?

I am ok with revenge based justice. In fact, i'm ok with not having to pay for some murder's room and board for 20 to life. No body pays MY way in this world.. Why should I pay for someone else's choices? Choosing to kill someone ( not self defense or in defense of a defenseless soul .. ect..) SHOULD be choosing to forfeit your own life.

And for the record, I am not anti-abortion..

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Too bad it costs more to execute someone than it does to imprison them for life.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It hardly works as a deterrent then. How many people in Texas are executed each year? Over 300? There are still murders happening...

24. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

What sort of argument is that? We should stop punishing people because others outside are still committing crimes?? :rolleyes:

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Right on.