Ohio school eliminates valedictorian, salutatorian honors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 14, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/ohio-scho...0w80jKWodHcxX4kxDU8Mq1o2cjnRZzD01Z9g1izQrmQog
    competition is bad, everyone should get a participation trophy....................

if Faux news triggers you and you need a liberal source you can just click here

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I can understand it, given that teen mental health seems to be in decline across the country. Students already have to contend with their parents' standards and competition in college applications; they don't need this additional level of competition. That's not to say that this will make a significant difference, and there are many other potentially more effective ways we can address teen mental health, but I understand where the thinking comes from.

I've never been an athlete, so competition in academics was the only area where I did compete and where I "felt the burn". I graduated #5 in my class and I was proud of that. But interestingly enough, I can't actually remember who the valedictorian was, so that shows how important it ended up being in the end.

Thanks for providing a liberal source. :)

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

WE "Compete" every day for our jobs, competing is part of life and they will be in for a rude awakening outside of school...

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Eliminating this one area of competition is not eliminating all competition; I already pointed to other areas where they will be competitive (not to mention in their own minds. Much of the time I was just competing with myself). This one area of competition being done away with does not mean they will be totally unequipped for the "real world". That's an exaggeration.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Maybe teen mental health issues are exploding because we're removing the "good" competition (college, sports, etc.) they can focus on to give a meaning to their life and effort only to see it replaced with bad competition (Instagram likes, online gaming, "me me, my feelings" calls for attention etc.). Just maybe...

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

But what about the “progressive” future, when we all assigned our work duties by our socailist administrators?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can’t have someone appear better than anyone else.

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I do think social media has played a role in declining mental health among teens, but I also think increased competition in getting into college is a factor. Around here, the message isn't just that you must get into college, the message is that you must get into one of the top schools in the country or you have no future. That kind of thinking was implicated in some of the suicides that occurred at Gunn High School in Palo Alto, which became infamous for its high number of teen suicides (and also has a high population of very competitive Asian American students). There's no one thing that is causing the mental health decline, but stress is often a major factor, and competition breeds stress. Competition can be healthy, but it can also be unhealthy.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

me exaggerate? NEVER...........:mad::p

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't think that offering role models such as the valedictorian is the same as society stressing for top notch schools. The truth is that the vast majority of the times no one really cares which schools you went to. Ok, if you want to be a shark lawyer in NYC maybe going to Harvard vs University of Texas makes a difference, but the truth is that in 99% of the cases no one really cares. I don't think that the problem is competition (Real competition starts when you start working, not while in college), but that kids have to show off much more, which increases stress due to stupid stuff.

As a side note, just yesterday I was talking to my martial arts teacher. He has been teaching since he was 15 in Asia, he's the son of a martial arts teacher (still alive and quite impressive!) who thought to some very famous martial artists. We were talking about social media, so I asked him if he's noticing differences between his current students and the students he had 10 years ago. He told me that in his opinion the difference is huge. He said that many kids are not interested in competition anymore, that they don't accept criticism of any kind (not even from him), and that he has to adapt his classes for this behavior. In his opinion their main interest is how they appear on social media. He also told me that as one on the board of directors of the federation, many other schools across the nation are "complaining" about this. It seems, to him, that kids are unteachable; the risk he sees is that things will be watered down, and when they encounter some competitive individual they will immediately falter. Worse, in his opinion, new students create most of this stress themselves because they have to appear in a certain way to their peers. I assume that the desire to go to a big-name college stems from the same thing: my friends are going to Harvard, and post from Harvard, why do I have to go to Community College?

Ultimately, I think that the bottom line is simple: in the past years (from 9 February 2009) we lost the art of introspection.

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

If we just indoctrinate everyone with postmodern marxism, mental health will continue to improve.
    /s

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

This is just silly. Regardless of a valedictorian awards, students will always be be judged on their academic achievements. The purpose is about rewarding the student who has earned the highest grades, not to make other students feel bad. I imagine this school, like most schools, puts out many other awards. I grew up in a very competitive, high pressure environment but I’m not sure there was much competition for the valedictorian slot- like its really a thing that’s easily contested considering it’s looking at 4 years worth of grades. I think most students accept they’re not #1, and speaking as someone who was in the top 10 I never felt bad. In middle school I was awarded valedictorian, I never knew until the graduation ceremony.

If this truly what high schoolers are thinking these days, they perhaps need a class on self esteem, personal responsibility, and acceptance.

These awards have been given out forever. Why has it now just become a problem? I think there are much more significant reasons for the deteriorating mental health of young adults. Deleting awards is not the solution to overstressed students.

Basic organizational psychology suggests that recognizing achievements is beneficial, and not recognizing outstanding work is not.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

So two things about this;

1) The article says that this high school will retain the Latin designations (summa, magma cum laude), so not having a valedictorian or salutatorian probably isn’t that big a deal. However...

2) Really? For mental health issues? As others have said, these designations have existed since forever; they’re not the problem. The problem is overbearing helicopter parents that believe they’re kids will be failures unless they’re the bestest. Just stop people. Little Kyle won’t be in a prison chain gang just because he didn’t finish 1st or 2nd in his class and get into Princeton.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't know, Hitler was refused by the Academy and see what happened!!!!!

(With your opening, I had to Godwin this thread. I just had to :p. )

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Dunno, round here grades are pretty much considered confidential atleast as long as minors are concerned.

Sure, you gotta show them when applying for a job and for sure I had a pretty good idea what grades everybody else had in my class (been a while...) but handing out trophies??

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you guys have to show them?

18. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

As salutatorian of my class, I find this to be total BS. There are people from my class who ranked below me who have gone on to do amazing things. Hell, I found it to be more of a pain in the ass to be salutatorian because I had to deliver an address to my class at graduation (obviously) while all I wanted to do was get through the damn ceremony, be done with high school, and peace out to my graduation party!

I really do not know how these kids today are going to get through the "real world" when things like this bother them, and they need safe spaces, and cannot complete their final exams over an election result, etc. Our future is entrusted to these kids, and I do not have much hope based on how they act now. For God's sake, a lot of them do not even know how to have a face to face conversation. It is an awkward thing to them because they are so used to talking through social media, or texts. Have any of the actual adults here ever tried to have an intellectual, face to face conversation with someone in their early-mid twenties? It is a disaster and disappointing - most of the time.

Good luck trying to get through the real world!

*Also, before someone says something, I am not generalizing. There are some younger kids who can actually have face to face conversations and are ready for the real world, however, a lot I meet are not ready at all.

:apple:

19. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Not really HAVE TO, but when applying for your 1st job/apprenticeship thats the usual thing to do, and I doubt one would get any reasonable job without doing so.

Later on thats less of an issue, you just have to convince them that you know your stuff.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

Citing the Academy is the best Godwinning I've seen in a long time.

The previous best I saw was that Hitler liked dogs, which was proof that cat-lovers were better people (facetiously).

21. appleisking macrumors 6502a

It's the parents' responsibility to manage their kids' mental health. Not the schools. Academic frustrations and the mental health problems associated largely come from parental influence. We really wanna fix this problem we need to emphasize that not getting into Harvard isn't the end of the world and that things will be perfectly fine at the local state school (and cheaper).