Ohio Voters Reject Recreational Marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given what I've read about this, it seems the voters really didn't like the way the state was trying to set this up more than an outright rejection of recreational marijuana.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-ohio-marijuana-legalization-failed/75143764/

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/11/03/ohio-pot-legalization-losing-badly/75126132/

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From what I read, the bill would have allowed 10 predetermined areas or farms to grow it. Talk about picking winners and losers.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I know I would have voted against it for just that reason.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

It wasn't a good law the way it was done there.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wow, no chance for abuse or corruption there. :rolleyes:

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If everyone grows weed who will grow food? Hard to satisfy the munchies when food is scarce

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know the details of these ten pre-determined areas ... but I can imagine that it was first seen as an answer to the concern that pot would be grown in everyone's backyard next door.

No. No. Just in these ten pre-determined areas ... nowhere else.

As people are saying here, not a good plan to begin with.

8. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The voters rejected a poorly designed initiative that would have essentially monopolized production. Cronyism at its finest!

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

The growers would have to be huge to keep you with demand. Here in oregon it is hard to keep up and people want indoor pot because I guess it works better or smells better.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hard to tax indoor pot

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It could have failed for many reasons, badly worded law. Or the stoners slept through voting day. :p

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Assuming that the arguments that it would have created a monopoly on production are true then it seems like a good thing that it failed. Hopefully Ohio tries again with a law that wouldn't create that monopoly, we shouldn't be wasting resources keeping pot illegal, but any laws to legalize it should be done right.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Being in Ohio I'm glad it failed. Last thing we need is another mechanism to impare people and ruin thier lives. hat's not the message we need to be sending.

14. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Being in Ohio, I'm curious what your opinion of Kasich is...

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I like him. I think his campaign team needed to better craft his messaging and interpersonal skills / delivery.

He's a smart guy but lacks the charm he needs to resinate with voters. Overall he's done a great job and definitely better than the knucklehead Strickland that was in office before him

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

According to the AP, this went down by one vote.

Anyone local there want to confirm? Not that I care about smoking pot (because I don't nor will I ever), but am curious about this being one vote. Reminds me of the hanging chad issue with Bush v. Gore. Something that close would demand at least 2 recounts.

BL.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably a typo, it looks like it was closer to 900,000 votes.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I see..

Funny thing: here is how the AP reported it (push notification to my AP app)

I interpreted that as one vote, but that leaves room for different interpretations.

BL.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

36% Yes
    1,122,386 votes

64% No
    2,003,641 votes

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I see how you get that. I think it was a poorly worded headline trying to say that both the medical and recreational legalization were one issue rather than two separate ones.

21. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Should have read the quote in the first post. This was easily defeated 64% to 35%.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

the whole push was done very poorly. Issue 2 the monopoly thing was rediculous and disappointing to have even made the ballot.

in terms of usage, they should have pushed the two seperately but they didn't becuase one wanted to ride the coat tails of the other. Sadly the patients in this case are the real losers.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As I said, the first reference I saw of this was last night when the AP reported single vote; hence why I asked.. I have my answer now, so it's all good.

BL.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, I'm from Ohio. Let me clear a few things up.

No, Issue 3 did not go down by a single vote. As others noted, it went down by quite a lot.

Issue 3 did combine recreational and medical marijuana. And yes, it was a constitutional amendment creating a monopoly to benefit ten growers (including former 98 Degrees member Nick Lachey and Frostee Rucker of the Cincinnati Bengals).

Issue 2 was a constitutional amendment prohibiting monopolies to be established by ballot initiatives...which is exactly what Issue 3 was. In fact, the ballot language specifically aimed at Issue 3.

Obviously had both passed, the matter would've gone to court to be sorted out.

I'm open-minded on pot legalization, but seeing that it was going to be passed in this manner, and that there was no future hope for opening it up to other growers, did give me pause.

Unsurprisingly, I saw more young people, and more people in general, at the polling place than I'm used to seeing in an off-year election. :D

The evening wasn't a total washout. Aside from ensuring that the next time they do this they'll have to do it in a more above-board way, Issue 1 also passed. Issue 1 was an anti-gerrymandering amendment. It's about time. A few years ago they tried to pass something similar, but it was defeated via a flurry of commercials asking, "Do you want POLITICIANS to control the districting process?" (What did they think we had?? :rolleyes: ) It'll be interesting to see how that works out, as the Ohio Statehouse is and almost always has been very, very, very red.

25. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

The bill was flawed but at least it would legalize marijuana and let you grow your own. It will probably be another 10 years before they legalize the way they want. Beggars can't be choosers.

Congrats Ohio. Now thousands of people will continue getting arrested and having their license taken away for no good reason.