Ohio - which way does it lean? [Split from the "Thanks for being civil!" thread]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric/, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013

eric/ Guest

eric/

No. We elected democrats past two years.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well...that's not exactly the whole story.

Yeah, Ohio went for Obama twice. And one of our senators is Sherrod Brown. But the statehouse is overwhelmingly Republican, and has been for a while.

We're also a geopolitically weird state. Cleveland has a lot of Democrats, and as you go south toward Columbus the party affiliation gets mixed, and by the time you get to Cincinnati you're deep into Republican territory.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Ok? So why are you trying to paint the state as a "red" one then? New Jersey and California must be republican. After all, their governors are/were.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

And the population voted for President Obama. Which is blue.

THat's like saying the US is Republican because the Republicans have the majority of the House.

And, the House 2011-2013 was 21 Red - 13 Blue.

And the Senate is split

And the Governor is Republican.

It's a swing state. You definitely can't say it's "Republican leaning".

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay. Let's look at the state legislature then.

So let's add up the score.

State Representatives —Republican (70%)
    State Senate — Republican (60%)
    U.S. Representatives — Republican (75%)
    U.S. Senate — Republican, Democrat
    U.S. President — Democrat

Looking at the overall picture I think Ohio could easily be described as leaning Republican.

----------

Is he suggesting that conservative voices are being censored?

:confused:

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

But when it comes to the population of Ohio voting for a president, they chose a Democrat.

So no. Not republican leaning.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Classic eric/.

Clinging to a POV regardless of the amount of evidence to the contrary.

Classic.

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

Classic Citizenzen.

Clinging to faulty reasoning to jump to conclusions.

Like the US House of Representatives, Ohio and other states have representatives which represent rural areas, so the voting population is in fact underrepresented.

Classic.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Source please.

Thank you.

(Please try to stick to Ohio)

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah too easy. Places like District 4, which constitute a large rural area, and probably less than 200,000 people have the same voting weight as places like District 13 with a larger population. Akron alone is over half a million.

Either way. No matter what kind of argument you try and make from how these representatives are distributed, the bottom line is that the majority of voting Ohioans voted for Obama. So any claim that the state is right-leaning is incorrect.

Ohio is a swing state. Frankly, it's pretty much middle of the road depending on where you go/are.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course.

:rolleyes:

This off-topic conversation has dissolved into absolutist absurdity.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

Perhaps you should stop with the off topic, absurd comments?

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that's pretty ironic considering that you have turned my innocuous comment into a ****storm.

Calm the hell down for a second and go back and re-read the first page. PracticalMac asked if Ohio was right-leaning. You said no, we elected Democrats the last two years.

That could've left the impression that Ohio was left-leaning. I wanted to clarify that there is a mixture of Republican and Democratic voting in the state. On some levels it's more blue (Obama), on others it's more red (statehouse and US House). And of course presidentially, Ohio has been considered a swing state for a long time, which you acknowledge in post #72.

All of that is easily verifiable, as citizenzen has pointed out to you. I don't know why you have a problem with that, or with me explaining that Ohio is not as simple as simply saying it voted Democratic the last two times.

17. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Isn't there a mixture of democrat and republican in most, if not all states?

Ohio is a battleground state that has leaned left the last 2 elections, it certainly has not gone right.

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well. No I didn't. I just said that Ohio voted for a democrat for president the last two elections. Saying that it's right leaning is incorrect.

Yeah. Exactly. And then the "*****torm" ensued when a people tried to prove that Ohio was right leaning.

Yup. And noticed how I pointed it out?

He didn't verify anything. Perhaps you misunderstand what's been going on? He's been trying to demonstrate that it's right leaning, which is in direct disagreement with your post here.

Well nothing you're saying is contradicting anything I've said. So idk what in the world I would have a problem with, with your posts, nor do I understand why you're arguing with me and not Citizenzen who is making the claim that it's right leaning, when you're agreeing with me that it's a swing state and that it doesn't lean one way or another.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here's my original post:

Again, all that was was additional information. You responded with:

Now tell me where in the world I was trying to "paint the state red"? If anything, I made it abundantly clear that I thought the state defied such a simple categorization.

I will not argue with citizenzen. I understand his viewpoint because it's a valid one: one could convincingly argue that Ohio is right-leaning because -- despite its being a swing state -- the statehouse and its Congressional delegation have been more Republican than Democratic for most of the last 18 years.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

Because you argued when I rebutted the "conservative leaning" comment. And you can equally argue its left leaning then , because the voting population elected a democrat.

And his point of view is incompatible with yours. He claimed it right leaning, you claimed it swing.

21. citizenzen, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

citizenzen macrumors 65816

As well as it's voters overall. According to this source even Ohio's registered voters are 1% (37% – 36%) more Republican than Democrat.

[​IMG]

And you and I are not arguing. I haven't been responding to your initial argument. I've been responding to eric/'s untenable position that "any claim that the state is right-leaning is incorrect."

If eric/ ever wants to know why it's sometimes difficult to remain civil in a discussion with him, he might want to consider his refusal to incorporate evidence to inform his point of view.

22. eric/ Guest

eric/

Because it's not. 1% means nothing. It's a swing state. You're wrong. Move along.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The least he could do is refute your evidence, and we haven't seen that yet. He's been talking around our posts without disproving the substance of them. Clinging to the idea that presidential elections are the determinant of whether a state is red, blue or swing is bad enough, but then adding that it's possible to argue that Ohio is a blue state???

...And he lives here!

24. eric/, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

eric/ Guest

eric/

Where did I argue Ohio was a blue state?

I've only argued it to be a swing state, which you agree with.

Again, not sure why you're arguing with me, and not with the guy claiming it's a right leaning state.

25. PracticalMac, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.