Ohio working on Vermont-style concealed carry law.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Gun manufacturers and retailers ..... Sales are down. We need something fast.

NRA ..... OK, I got you covered.

NRA ..... Were getting reports about low sales in Ohio, DO SOMETHING NOW!!!!

GOP Politicians ..... Yes sir. Right away sir. We'll get right on it.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Vermont and Ohio are completely different places.. just because something works in Vermont doesn't mean it would work in Ohio.

The Cleveland metro area has 3 times the population of the entire state of Vermont, and that's not even the biggest city in Ohio.

5. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Quite frankly I'm shocked that such a dark blue state would have a law like that.

This is my first post in PRSI by the way, woohoo!

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, but I don't think it is a good idea to eliminate the licensure requirement for concealed carry.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Upvoted.

I'll add that it's not a good idea to see the 2A as an unlimited right.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Oh no!!!

How did you discover the NRA's master plan????

However seriously... do you believe the NRA is targeting Ohio law makers because they somehow need this law to sell more guns?

----------

Welcome..

Why would this be a "recipe for disaster"?

If a law abiding citizen wants to carry a concealed firearm what is the issue? Someone intent on harming you with a firearm isn't going to NOT carry a concealed firearm because they don't have a permit.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The NRA's master plan to sell more guns and maintain its political and financial power at the expense of the community is plain for everyone to see. The only people that seem to struggle with the fact are those gullible enough to believe the NRA's claim it is fighting for their freedom.

10. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Thank you.
    More violent criminals who no longer feel the need to watch out for law enforcement while carrying their guns.

No problem whatsoever! By all means go ahead. Just get a permit for it. If I have to have a driver's license, registration, and insurance to take my car (also a potentially deadly weapon) out in public, you should have to do the same for your gun. For a law abiding citizen, this should be no biggie.
    Someone intent on driving drunk isn't going to NOT drive drunk because it's illegal. So should we just legalize it?

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

"violent criminals", like felons? It would still be illegal for them to own or carry a firearm even with the new law.
    If they are going to break the law and carry concealed, they really wouldn't need to be watching out because the firearm would be hidden.

Sorry, in my opinion no should have to register to exercise a Right.

Well, reckless driving and causing an accident is already illegal, right? So why do we really need drunk driving laws? Just make reckless driving and causing an accident have the same level of punishment as DWI laws have now.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So nobody should register to vote?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Boom!

Or have to obtain a permit for a protest?

14. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

A person unwilling to get a concealed carry permit is likely to be a criminal. If a criminal gets caught for an unrelated charge (drugs for example) and are caught with no permit for their gun they have on them, they will be sentenced to even more jail time. You would be keeping a potentially violent criminal behind bars even longer. Under this new law, you can catch someone with heroin and a gun but they won't be getting any extra prison time for the gun, just the drugs. A law abiding citizen should have no problem getting a permit so their state knows they're walking around with a deadly weapon.

See post #12

Because being a crappy driver isn't the same as knowingly getting behind the wheel while wasted.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Good. Gun rights seem to be expanding in more states. I'm all for it.

The Clinton era political idiocy has fallen out of flavor. Notice not a single gun ban became law when the dems controlled it all under Obama. The crusaders Feinstein, and McCarthy are all approaching retirement and/or in the latter days of life.

The gun control debate is largely over, and incrementalism grabbing lost. Every time the news covers the knockout game or home invasion it simply sends more people to buy weapons. Cities exporting their ghettos to the suburbs due to extremely high rent and cost of living just sells more guns. Even saying the word "ban" in the White House sells tens of thousands of guns a day.

Perfect storm for the expansion of the 2nd.

16. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

If everything you're saying is true, it will ultimately lead to a higher rate of violent crime than ever experienced in the history of this country. As much as you guys hate to admit it, more guns don't lead to less crime. Not in one single country on this earth do more guns lead to less crime. What makes you think the US is special? If anything, the increase in violent crime over time will eventually lead to a nationwide call to repeal the second amendment, I don't think you want that. I think you would prefer strong gun regulation over that.

Speaking of which, you're against laws that require voter ID right? And you also think people shouldn't have to get a license to operate a potentially deadly vehicle or register it with their state, right?

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Wrong. Gun crime and death are dramatically down despite gun sales being up hundreds of time over compared to the 1990's and 1980's.

18. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

But still a MUCH higher crime rate per capita than countries with strong gun control. There is also no evidence to say that the decrease in crime is related to the increase in guns. Unless of course you can cite a study that shows that.

19. lostngone, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

First off, please post why you think someone unwilling to get a permit is likely to be a criminal?

Second, you didn't address my comment about it already being illegal for a felon or anyone on parol to carry a weapon concealed or not. Also if anyone is caught in the act of a serious crime with a firearm(or any type of deadly weapon) but didn't use it, in many cases just having that weapon increases the charges/penalties with or without this law.

Third, why do you think it is any of the States business if a law abiding citizen is carrying a concealed firearm?

What does this have to do with this thread? If you want to discuss voter Rights start another thread and we can debate voter registration laws there.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

None of the rights listed in the Bill of Rights should be viewed as unlimited rights. The question is how much do we limit them. In this particular case, I don't view getting a license for concealed carry an unreasonable burden.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You brought it up. :rolleyes:

You can tell that nobody here has been to Vermont. If they had, they'd see that despite this working in Vermont, it would be a very bad idea for Ohio.

Vermont's the second least populated state after Wyoming. Only 625,000 residents in the entire state. You go there, it's like going back in time. There's very low crime (3rd lowest in the entire country behind Maine and North Dakota), small communities where everyone knows each other and is very friendly, most families leave their houses and cars unlocked at all times.

Ohio has 11.5 million residents. Way more people, higher crime, and I'm guessing people in Ohio don't feel comfortable going on a week long vacation and leaving their house wide open.

22. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

For the same reason I think someone unwilling to get a driver's license and register their vehicle probably shouldn't be on the road. They're irresponsible.

For a felon, yes it's already illegal. But for someone who isn't a felon committing an unrelated crime but has a gun on them while doing it, this new law can get them a lighter prison sentence. If someone robs my house, has no prior criminal background, and has a concealed weapon on them while doing it, I want them to be charged for the weapon as well, not just for robbing my house. It's very unlikely that someone who has a concealed carry permit will rob my house.

For the same reason it's a state's business if someone owns a car. It's really the same concept but for some reason you refuse to comprehend it.

Everything, you said people shouldn't have to register to exercise a right. Yet, as another member pointed out, conservatives constantly are pushing for voter ID laws. So it's a bit hypocritical. You don't want registration for "rights" that you consider to be more important than other rights.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, in your mind, what should be required in order to carry?

24. lostngone, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

With or without the law they will STILL be charged for having the weapon concealed or not.
    It goes from burglary to aggravated burglary. Here is the law.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.11

25. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I am an Ohioan, a supported of the second amendment and I do have my conceal carry.

Frankly... not a fan of this. I whole heartedly believe that the class(s) required and the background check that goes along with getting the license should remain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.