Oil to easily slide stainless steel lugs on/off?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrX8503, Apr 13, 2017.

1. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Can anyone recommend an oil to apply on the lugs? I noticed that there's a bit of friction when sliding the lugs on/off. Also when I haven't removed my band in a while, I noticed that there's some micro stainless steel dust that's accumulated due to friction.

I figured rubbing some oil on the lugs will reduce friction between metal on metal contact.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Use water then dry after. Oil is excessive and you really don't want it everywhere

3. MrX8503 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's what I do, but metal dust builds up in there over time.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Is this a third-party band or an Apple OEM band?

5. MrX8503 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple OEM band. Milanese loop

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't have any recommendation for any specific oil, as if you were to use oil on the lugs, I would use a very minimal amount, if any.

However, being that you're experiencing friction with the lugs on an Apple OEM band, perhaps you could take it to an Apple store and have them look at it. Apple might replace it for you if you're having issues with the lugs not seated properly or causing friction. Most Apple OEM bands I have experience with, don't have any friction at all and should slide in relatively easily. It's typically third-party bands that will give you the issues, hence why I asked.

My suggestion would be to bring it to an Apple store if applicable and have them assess the band for a possible replacement. Which, they might do or make an exception in your case.