OIS Work for Video on Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Has there been any information on whether the OIS does something to video and not just images?

2. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Sure, it'll help with minor vibrations if you are being steady and standing still. But for motion like bumps and walking etc that's where digital image stabilization is key.

3. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

4. Imory macrumors 6502a

According to Anandtech it's only for images. 6 and 6 Plus use the "cinematic video stabilization", i.e digital.

5. circa7 macrumors regular

Yes. I'll post video proof for you once I get to my computer.

6. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

7. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Only photos.

They better enable it for videos In an update though. >.>

8. circa7 macrumors regular

9. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

The ois on the 6 plus definitely works!. I took a video in the car and the road was bumpy as hell but when I looked over the video, it was real steady!. I thought it would be all over the place. I'm impressed!

10. onlineaddy macrumors member

11. circa7 macrumors regular

No. The video on the left is the iPhone 6. The video on the right is the 6+. The 6+ is smoother due to OIS. Or are you saying that the digital stabilization is superior on the 6+? The reviewer even states that the OIS is operating in video mode. Just look at the videos. The 6+ is clearly smoother.

12. macduke Suspended

macduke

Agree. It seems fairly obvious that the 6 Plus is using OIS when compared to the 6. Photographer/designer here.

13. circa7 macrumors regular

Thanks. I posted this on reddit before and everyone was blasting saying they looked the same. Really? I'm a designer as well, but I mean that video is fairly obvious. I guess a lot of people just dont notice things like this, which is crazy to me.

14. deviant macrumors 65816

from Apple.com
    Optical image stabilization
    iPhone 6 Plus introduces optical image stabilization that works with the A8 chip, gyroscope, and M8 motion coprocessor to measure motion data and provide precise lens movement to compensate for hand shake in lower light. The fusing together of long- and short-exposure images also helps to reduce subject motion. This unique integration of hardware and software delivers beautiful low-light photos.

Why no mention of videos? It's only in the Photos section on the iPhone 6 page. I mean, i'd brag about that if I were Apple, LOL.

15. circa7 macrumors regular

Maybe so people dont get pissed that the 6 doesnt have it?

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm...it does look better...but I'm not sure if that was just an error in testing. It look like he is just holding the cameras in his hands (Which is why it is vertical video, easier to hold two phones when they are both vertical)...and given most people are right handed your right hand will naturally be more stable.

A true test would have both attached to a solid frame and then him running about.

17. circa7 macrumors regular

I dont think so. You can see the 6+ actually smoothing out the video, it looks different. Think how YouTube smooths video, only the phone is doing it better. Here's another example:

6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2tzx6pPL0#t=17
    6+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne1TqdKHVIw#t=17

Again, not really scientific. But clearly the 6+ is smoother overall.

18. macduke Suspended

macduke

I've found that the majority of things that people like us obsess over, normal people couldn't point out. But they do notice subconsciously. There is a difference between something that looks kinda shoddy and professional work that people take note of. Whether they realize it or not, they feel the difference and associate those positive feelings with your client's brand or whatever else you're trying to convey to that audience. Details matter.

19. circa7 macrumors regular

Definitely agree. I think most of the naysayers were 6 users who just get very apologetic and almost subconsciously hide the fact that they see a difference. It's actually one of the reasons I opted for the 6+ - the camera is better overall and making better quality videos is important to me.

20. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

21. pish6969 macrumors regular

Why would people be upset about that? They mentioned the 6+ had OIS at the keynote...so the people that bought the 6 knew they weren't getting it.

I think MOST assumed the OIS would be for both photo's and videos..surprised there's not clear cut answer here..seems there is evidence on both sides.

Has Apple commented on this? I'm not talking about the clip the poster above shared since that doesn't mention it.

...the voice of reason

22. tekkt0r macrumors member

Anandtech did a review of the 6+ and compared the video sample between 6 and 6+. I didn't see a difference. I think they used some sort of pole that mounted both iPhones so that the sample recording were identical to one another.

In my own personal opinion, I don't think OIS is being used w/ the 6+ for videos. Furthermore, I think digital (software) compensation is probably superior to OIS on the 6+, which would explain why Apple isn't using it.