ok, decided to get the macbook pro instead of imac but some upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CallMeZsaZsa, Jun 16, 2009.

1. CallMeZsaZsa macrumors member

I'm a total newbie when it comes to apple and I don't know anything about computer insides......

I've been thinking about the 13" or the 15" and am trying to figure out what I actually need. I know I read that several people were getting the base 13" and would later upgrade to an additional 4GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HD. Is that realistically something I could do myself and would that save a decent amount of money to make it worth the work?

Also, the middle 15" has DIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB.....where as the base 15 and both 13s only have the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics. Im not a gamer but I hope to get into photoshop and want to know if I need the dual GPU or if the 9400 is enough.

Thanks for the help :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, you def. could.

Get the 15".

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

9400m will be enough for basic to advanced Photoshop manipulation.
    I do it with 12MP RAW footage from my dSLR all the time, although using the 9600gt from time to time speeds up the processing a little bit.

To manually updating your MBP yourself - doable when you're good with screwing.
    It's the guide for the 17-inch, but the same principles should apply.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

4. CallMeZsaZsa thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

I may get the 13 and later add a monitor ---then Id have great portability yet a large screen for at home working. Or I may just go with the 15" . (I currently have a 17" Sony vaio that is fairly new and I plan on keeping this too and do like having a large screen).

As far as the RAM and the HD, are there any certain brands to look at?