Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I am trying to figure out the best way to show my support for Apple and it's Music Store when they release i-Tunes for Windows next week.

I want i-Tunes for Windows to take off like a rocket!!! This will take wind out of the copycat music stores sail.

I plan on purchasing a lot of new music the day of the launch. I already started emailing many of my PC friends letting them know about it.

But what else can I do to support the store? I want to bolster Apple in this as much as reasonably possible.

I was also thinking about going around to everyone's cubicle at work and installing i-Tunes and deleting Windows Media Player :D

I hear Microsoft is releasing a new version of Win Media Player for OSX. Do you guys think MS will be throwing a party for the media player release like Apple for Windows iTunes release ;) (sarcasm

Any way let me know how everyone plans on bolstering Apple next week. I think Windows users are in for an Enlightenment!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Re: OK Gang--it's almost time to show our Support for Apple when iTunes is released.

Originally posted by Frisco
I think Windows users are in for an Enlightenment!

just so long as itunes works/looks the same in windows as it does on the mac we should be in good shape. what i would hate to see is the pc version not work as well or look really bad, and then have that turn off potential switchers.

stoid

macrumors 601
Re: Re: OK Gang--it's almost time to show our Support for Apple when iTunes is released.

Originally posted by baby duck monge
just so long as itunes works/looks the same in windows as it does on the mac we should be in good shape. what i would hate to see is the pc version not work as well or look really bad, and then have that turn off potential switchers.

If there's anything we have learned from Steve, it's that he only does something if he can do it right. I'm not worried about dark iTMS being a totally dominant product, I worried about whether the Windows world can even tell what a good product is anymore, or if the huge let downs that the Windows online music business has amply provided will keep them from even giving the new iTMS a try to find out how great it is.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
If i can talk my parents into it i'm going to d/l and buy tons of stuff. My brother also wants tons of songs and I plan on telling all 145 people on my MSN Messenger list to go d/l it. And everyone at school.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Re: OK Gang--it's almost time to show our Support for Apple when iTunes is released.

Originally posted by Frisco
I plan on purchasing a lot of new music the day of the launch.

Let's hope you can. Remember how slow iTMS was the day it launched for Mac? I wasn't able to buy anything until the next day. To be fair, I don't think Apple quite expected the overwhelming interest in the iTMS at that point. Now they know.

I hope they're prepared for the massive crush of traffic.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I plan on downloading some songs, even though I will be getting my mac in a couple of weeks. Why not bolster the Wintel showing for Apple? :) As long as the songs will work with my ipod and my powerbook when I get it.

Alia

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
What I'm really hoping for is for Apple to make a Windows version of iTunes, as well as making a way for Mac users to share music with Windows computers. For example, my computer at work is a Windows 2000 machine. How great would it be if Apple could make some kind of client for Windows (a Rendezvous client?) that made it so it could see my Mac notebook, and they could share music together? Just like Steve demoed at the announcement of the music store, where he played music on one Mac from another Mac over the wireless network--I'd like to be able to do that, but between mixed Windows/Mac networks! I just want easy music transfer between iTunes, regardless of platform. That would be sweet.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
What if we wait a day

Personally I would suggest that you buy one or two songs on Launch Day for WIN ITMS.

Let all the Windows people download music without tying up the servers for those of wanting to show suppport. Of Course if music is not flying off the server... CHARGE IT!

That said... I am going to DL the Win iTunes for my wife and then buy one song off of it.

I am hoping it will work on her WIN98SE

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Sorry can't help you. I'm not an American see (one of the 5.5 billion people who aren't) so I couldn't buy anything even if I wanted to. Oh well...back to stealing I suppose...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Reaper

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
sorry can't help you. I'm not an American see (one of the 5.5 billion people who aren't) so I couldn't buy anything even if I wanted to. Oh well...back to stealing I suppose...

actually, there are 11 billion people on the planet. china has up to 6 billion people (they lied about the one child policy).

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Oh well...back to stealing I suppose...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's not stealing, it's copyright infringement. See, doesn't sound quite so bad that way, does it? We're not pirates, we're infringers! :D

Besides, the RIAA can't touch you if you infringe on US copyrights from across the pond -- at least not yet. I doubt they're going to file extradition papers.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
My contribution to the cause. I think this is something worthy to rally around. I honestly haven't bought a song from iTMS. But, i think i will definately download an album come the 16th. I also hope they add alot of new songs. I would think that if Napster gets 500,000 Apple surely must have been cut a similar deal. I really hope that they will announce indie labels. Or in a pipedream, movies on demand with the Pixlet codec.

Attachments

• homerunitms.gif
    homerunitms.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,661

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I am not going to change any of my shopping habits just to 'support' a company. Not even Apple.

Apple makes good products, but they never gave me anything for free. They are still a business, not a charitable organization. I am going to buy music when I feel like it, wherever I get the best deal. It might be iTMS, but I am not going to be part of an ad campaign.

just my 2cts

MrEFord

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2002
Port Hueneme, CA
Talk about a wet towel... it's quite simple: we like Apple, so we're going to show our support, it's not like we're going to buy a bunch of crappy songs and throw our money away :rolleyes:

And btw, Apple may not be a charity, but they're still one of the coolest companies around and one of the few that at least pay attention somewhat to their customers

Just my opinion :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'll buy stuff from the iTMS when they support the country I live in.

A rumour from a month or two back states that in Canada, the ground work had been done for companies to start selling music over the net.

Next week, the first online music store comes to Canada. Unfortunately, its in a non standard audio format - ie, WMA.

Where is Apple?

They should be jumping at the opportunity.

Originally posted by etoiles
I am not going to change any of my shopping habits just to 'support' a company. Not even Apple.

Apple makes good products, but they never gave me anything for free. They are still a business, not a charitable organization. I am going to buy music when I feel like it, wherever I get the best deal. It might be iTMS, but I am not going to be part of an ad campaign.

just my 2cts

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Via quicktime player.

iTunes for Windows will be a fix for AAC DRMed.

Originally posted by mmmdreg
I'm a bit behind in my news. Does Windows play AAC files now then?

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Originally posted by The Reaper
Alia is a very nice name. i've never heard it before. if i have a daughter one day, i may name her that.

You actually wouldn't be the first. I've had at least two or three people name children after me... or after hearing my name. I can't say that I'm so fabulous that everyone wants to name their kid after me (cause I'm not!). :D

It's nice to have a fairly unique name though.

Alia

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
How about getting some iTunes Music Store support for America Junior (canada) apple users, instead of windows users?

Jagga

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2003
hamilton
Um, Alia if I'm correct isnt your name pronounced like in the movie Dune.....St. Alia of the Knife?? Um no insult intended, as I really like that name.

Aaliyah is pronounced as its spelt, you figured that with all the "miss you" videos and news reports of her going into the next realm we'd have gotten it right.

Um I unfortunately am still stuck in this godforsaken excuse of a Window for an OS. Will anyone please help me by donating an iMac DV or something capable of running OS X.

I would love to buy music on my PC but if ITMS for WIndows is half as successful in the same amount of time as for Apple users, then I think that windows user will remain the same complacent brain dead users as they always have. Think about it, how many times have you tried to show/explain/teach/unbrainwash all of your windows using friends/colleagues/comrads/mes amis that their suffering using MS OS?!?! I've been there done that, but I'm think that if they've used windblows for over 2 years, whether its CEMENT or XP then they more than likely never change?! unless your in contact with them daily, and can compete with most of the things they do on their PC, especially when it crashes. When I had my Quicksilver I was tircked into overclocking it and now I'm suffering for it, however I tried like crazy to get my PC buddies to come over even at the expense of a fidge full of 24's just to play on my Mac.

That said, and many experiences and opinions vary. I will purchase music for my PC. I really do hope that it'll be in AAC format!! as Media Player doesn't support it that well, and the fact that Apple has made great inroads with QuickTime. I love going to the internet café and going to quicktime and looking at movie clips, the PC guys & girls always ask what movie is that?!?!!!! What site are you at, can you view that on Media Player???? NO??? QuickTime, free, download easy??!!!! Cool! and they follow suit. Happens everyday everyweek for the past 5 months. Not lately, cause I'm on Cogeco.

I want an Apple store in Canada.
Bring it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.