OK. Governor Refuses to Remove 10 Commandments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 8, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's Wednesday, time for a new Christian Sharia story. Much like the recent SC rulings, I don't think Republicans understand how our system of government works. Maybe this is Fallon's play for a VP spot.

It's funny how the same people who yell the loudest about upholding the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment are so quick to discard the 1st Amendment when it doesn't suit them. When it comes to issuing marriage licences, they cry foul play, claiming religious freedom, yet when it comes to this ****, they cry foul play and claim that this kind of **** is OK. smh

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capi...cle_b6a922ce-2d5e-5675-9929-5f18658ee5b9.html

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why settle for the 10 commandments? Why not add all the other prohibitions listed in the Bible (e.g., men with long hair)?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So Jesus was prohibited?

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What's with "In God We Trust" on all the money?

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

According to Judaism there are in fact 613 Commandments.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Given that it was added to the coin during the Civil War, and paper money during the height of the Cold War (along with inclusion of God into the Pledge), it was pretty obviously done for propaganda purposes.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It offends me.

Anyway, I think we should put Jesus on the $10.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Those 3 plaintiffs must have nothing better to do..

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Deal with it. There is no right to not be offended in the Bill of rights.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

On what legal ground is she refusing to comply with this court order? Unless the Oklahoma Supreme Court put a stay on their ruling, that pretty much makes it effective immediately. It was a 7-2 ruling, what makes her think they will reconsider it? Every time something happens that a Republican doesn't like, they start trying to butcher constitutions.

11. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why is so hard for some to understand that white and religious privilege are slowly being dismantled?

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

She doesn't get it. The other branches of government have weighed in. The Judicial branch ruled it unconstitutional. What she is trying to do is quickly get the people to change their constitution around to get around this ruling, instead of comply with the judicial branch.

Nevermind the fact that she is still running afoul of federal court, which already has a ruling on this issue setting precedence. She isn't going to win this one, regardless of what she tries to do.

BL.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If white privilege were real, I'd be getting free food from the government like all those blacks and Mexicans.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Weren't you calling for SC governor Haley to overstep her authority and pull down the Confederate flag from the capitol grounds? In that case, according to you, it was a good thing. In this case it is a bad thing. How about our politicians stay within the legal boundaries? In this case, the OK governor is wrong to ignore the court decision.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No...

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My mistake.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, it is effective immediately, but the court has no means of actually enforcing the judgment. That's the Governor's job, and apparently she's using her "prosecutorial discretion" to basically delay implementation of the court order, at least for now. Clearly, she's trying to buy time so the Legislature can vote on an amendment to the state constitution to allow this monument. That's the only way to overturn this ruling.

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The legislature doesn't get to amend the constitution on their own. They can only put it on the ballot for the voters to decide. In the meantime, that ruling is the law in Oklahoma. She's defying a court ruling. Whether you support it or not is a different question, but let's call it what it is.

19. Thomas Veil, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think the fundies would love nothing better than for a judge to get fed up and order it removed, and when some hired company comes around to haul it away they find it surrounded by state troopers armed with rifles. In other words, they want a standoff so they can wail about how persecuted they are.

Edit: corrected "funds" to "fundies". (Damned new forum spell check!)

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

On the commandment against adultery, Wikipedia says, "Sexual intercourse between an Israelite man, even if he was married, and an unmarried or unbetrothed woman was not considered as adultery."

Funny how religious directives are always in the man's favor.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

AS it should be, things are much harder for men when it comes to relationships , MOST women just wink & bang, there we are, when men wink & make them breakfast in bed we get asked ********HOW did you get in here & who are you?***** followed by a restraining order............

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Are you trying to tell us something, JK?

23. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, I'm not sure about how it's done in OK, but changing the state constitution is probably done through the legislature and a voter referendum. There was some mention of that in the posted article. The case is currently on appeal, so the case is still technically pending and she feels that the status quo can suffice for now. Instead of openly defying the court order, what she should do is remove the monument as the court ordered, then go through the constitutional amendment process, then have the monument put back. But even if she doesn't, there's not much anybody can do about it. Remember also that the court is not the final word. Legislative remedies are always available.

It's worth mentioning that the current president has frequently defied court orders and ignored the law. The Oklahoma governor, I guess, feels that if President Obama can defy laws enacted by Congress and court orders, she can too.

24. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you think they would put a short black Jew on money?

25. iBlazed, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

On appeal to who? The same OK Supreme Court that issued the original 7-2 ruling? The wording in that part of the Oklahoma constitution is so cut and dry the court had no other way of ruling. It seems the the framers placed that wording there very intentionally. It is the final word, short of a constitutional amendment. In the meantime, like you said, she should at least temporarily take it down while she pursues her misguided attempt to change the state constitution to allow a stupid statue on state property. Amazing to think that the framers of the Oklahoma state constitution weren't even as far to the right as the nutjobs that occupy that state today. My oh my, what has happened to the GOP?

:rolleyes: