Ok here's a tough one (restrictions passcode recovery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryIgor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Alright here's a tough one for the iPhone experts on here.. I have a phone, and I need to find out a restrictions password I need to find out the exact code. Here's what I know, somebody recommended iPhone backup extractor in another thread, NO it does not work, because you have to pay 25 dollars, I'm looking for a free, efficient method to help me out. I am aware of the method to edit the springboard.plist and add the code to make the password 1234, but I need the EXACT passcode. Can someone suggest an alternate method from the ibAckupbot, diskaid, and iPhone backup extractor besides manually writing out every possible combo? Thanks if someone finally solves this they will be king of the internet :) haha

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
For a first time poster, this to me only, seems kind of fishy...Could be wrong

Why do you need this ?

Did you forget your passcode ?

Are you trying to get someone else's passcode ?

What phone are you attempting this on ? Make/Model

For starters, you could restore your iPhone as a new device through iTunes. You can’t restore from a previous backup, because your passcode is saved in that file…..

AngryIgor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Okay my son is trying to mess with his brother and he keeps putting a restrictions pass code on all my I devices, I can't reset because I don't use iCloud and I don't use backups on iTunes. The model is iPhone 4S running on iOS 7.0.4
Help please?

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Other than asking your son to tell you what the passcode is, I don't think you're going to be able to retrieve it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Okay my son is trying to mess with his brother and he keeps putting a restrictions pass code on all my I devices, I can't reset because I don't use iCloud and I don't use backups on iTunes. The model is iPhone 4S running on iOS 7.0.4
Help please?
Then there's nothing for you to restore. Ask your son for the password.
Restore the iPhone using iTunes as a new device, reinstall all the apps via your apple account. Learn to discipline you son.

AngryIgor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
There has to be a way, it has been done before with a program which tries every possible combination, can someone be a little more optimistic about this? I'm doing this for personal interest , and personal reasons. Thank you very much

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
There has to be a way, it has been done before with a program which tries every possible combination, can someone be a little more optimistic about this? I'm doing this for personal interest , and personal reasons. Thank you very much
No one here knows that for sure. It's just as likely you "found" someone's phone and are trying to get into it.

You said your son changed the passcode. I recommend following blueroom's advice.

Ask your son for the passcode. Why is he changing the code on your devices if he's trying to mess with his brother?

Either way, it's irresponsible. Ask him for the passcode. If he doesn't know it, you're out of luck.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Ask your son for the passcode. Why is he changing the code on your devices if he's trying to mess with his brother?

Either way, it's irresponsible. Ask him for the passcode. If he doesn't know it, you're out of luck.
This would take common sense. But since the OP came on here, it seems that they lack that.

My guess is that the OP "found" the phone with a passcode lock and is trying to find a way to bypass it. Good luck with that.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, so just to make this plain.
Your son randomly entered a passcode, and has NO idea what that passcode is,
Is that the right picture?
Probably means that each of your iDevices has a different passcode, too…

Wow...

I think the passcode is a hardware protection, and restoring from a backup might not reset that password (not sure, you'd need to contact Apple with that question)

I think there is NO efficient, or happy way to work through 10,000 possible combinations.
You may guess right the first code, or it might take 9,999 wrong choices.

Apple MIGHT reset the passcode, although that is a little unlikely, I think.

But, you would change to your own passcode, to lock out "little helpers" in the future.

AngryIgor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Okay my son is 14, I punished him but he won't give up the password, I would like to know it myself though isn't it possible to retrieve the exact password?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Okay my son is 14, I punished him but he won't give up the password, I would like to know it myself though isn't it possible to retrieve the exact password?
Nope, give it up. Your purchased apps are still available but the data's gone since for whatever reason you didn't bother with iCloud. Next time embrace iCloud and don't give a 14 year old an iPhone until they learn some responsibly for their actions.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Really? You can't make your 14 year old son give up the password?

Sounds like your story is false and you're trying to get into someone else's phone. I'm pretty sure a parent could find a way to get their child to give them this info. Say, threaten grounding with no electronics for a whole year.

If you can't get the info out of your son, there's no way to do what you want.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I'd chalk this up to lesson learned.

First thing to do, change the iTunes password then wipe the iDevice or devices and start over, and then set your own passcode and DO NOT let your children play with them.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Really? You can't make your 14 year old son give up the password?

Sounds like your story is false and you're trying to get into someone else's phone. I'm pretty sure a parent could find a way to get their child to give them this info. Say, threaten grounding with no electronics for a whole year.

If you can't get the info out of your son, there's no way to do what you want.
Absolutely. Any parent who can't get the info out of a child has a serious issue beyond a simple iPhone password.

I'm really starting to think this is just someone trying to break into a stolen phone.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Set up both a restrictions passcode and a screenlock passcode. You can set it to not autolock for a an hour or more for ease of use but that's the only way to be able to prevent them from locking you out of your device. And yes you do want to set both codes.

AngryIgor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
To the users above I did not steal the phone, if you are so pessimistic, please don't bother helping me. To the people who know please help me, for personal reasons I need to find this out and I need your help. I can promise you I have no intention of stealing, this is my phone, and it has business info and other stuff I can't get rid of. I need this badly and would really appreciate someone's knowledge and help. If I was a stealer what would be the point of this article? I must be a bad stealer then, because I could've just restored and not cared about the phone at all

spooky2k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2008
California
Guys, put your pitch forks down. This isn't a passworded phone, it's the restrictions password. Phone is functional, restrictions are on. We have kids do this all the time in schools to mess with the teachers.

OP, unfortunately, short of getting the passcode from your son, there is no way around this. Apologies.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To the users above I did not steal the phone, if you are so pessimistic, please don't bother helping me. To the people who know please help me, for personal reasons I need to find this out and I need your help. I can promise you I have no intention of stealing, this is my phone, and it has business info and other stuff I can't get rid of. I need this badly and would really appreciate someone's knowledge and help. If I was a stealer what would be the point of this article? I must be a bad stealer then, because I could've just restored and not cared about the phone at all
Well, as mentioned, the simplest, fastest, most reasonable solution is to get the passcode from the person who set it. That aside, you can try contacting Apple to see what they can do about it (which simply might end up being "not much").

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
As mentioned, the passcode / restrictions lock would be useless if it was easy or possible to bypass. Repeated attempts may lock up the phone. Do a DFU restore and keep it away from your kids. Since you were unwilling or couldn't be bothered to backup your iPhone to either iCloud or iTunes it couldn't have been that important. What was your plan if it was lost or stolen?

Chalk it up to a lesson learned for both yourself and hopefully your 14yr old. Also next time setup your iCloud sync and it would be no data lost.

PS I'm not saying a 3rd party program would work (probably not) but if fixing this problems not worth $25 then I would guess it's not such a big deal to you, just take it out of your kids allowance. That said it probably would't work anyway.

spooky2k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2008
California
Absolutely. Any parent who can't get the info out of a child has a serious issue beyond a simple iPhone password.

I'm really starting to think this is just someone trying to break into a stolen phone.
All due respect, parental habits have nothing to do with you. Maybe this is the first case of it and the child will be taught in due course? Point is, you don't know. Answer the question or don't reply. Don't be so self righteous. I'm sure you've made mistakes at some point in your life.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I believe you and don't think it's a stolen iPhone, but what would be the point of a passcode if it was possible to bypass it? The only way you're getting it is by asking your kid. If that doesn't work, well, there's not much we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.