OK, how do I add a Time Capsule to my network when my ethernet is already being used?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jstanford99, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jstanford99 macrumors newbie

I am clueless (well, kinda sorta) when it comes to network issues. I have a wireless modem/router that I have my Mac connected to via ethernet. I want to also add my Time Capsule to run ethernet to keep it from slowing my wireless down. How in the world do I do this? If worse comes to worse I will run it through my wireless network but even that wasn't working... It kept wanting me to hook an ethernet wire to it during setup... Help please

I probably didn't give enough info to solve but let me know what you need and I will help. Thanks

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Does your modem not have any network ports available on the back? If so, plug the TC into one of them.
    If it doesn't and it has a built in router like you say, all you need is a switch. Plug switch into network port on modem and plug your Mac and TC into the switch.

3. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was just wondering... I could install a switch?. I tried to connect the TC to one of the available ports but couldn't find it on my Mac. Where would I go to see if it was recognized? If it's as easy as buying a switch and hooking it up that way then that's what I will do.
    Can the TC be set up via USB?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Which Mac model do you have? MacBook Air's don't have builtin ethernet ports.

5. alainking macrumors newbie

Plug you mac into one of the three ethernet ports on the time capsule. This should allow you to set it up.

You can then run a cable from the WAN port to your current router.

I have an airport extreme (time capsule without the built in drive) configured like this and works great.

I would suggest using the wireless on the time capsule rather than your existing router as it is excellent.

6. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 27" Mac desktop, not sure what processor and stuff like that

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What model router do you have?

The vast majority of them have 5 Ethernet ports - 1 is labelled WAN and is for your Internet connection coming from your modem. The other 4 are switched LAN ports that put up to 4 wired devices on a common network with your wireless devices. Your Mac should currently be connected to one of these. Connect the Time Capsule to an empty port.

8. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

My modem is a wireless router also. It is a Motorola (not sure of the model # right now) I tried that hookup but I couldnt get the Mac to recognize the drive (TC) and when I tried to set it up via Airport Ultility, it made me set up a wireless network... I will try the switch tonight and see where that gets me.

9. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant by couldn't find it was the drive, it wouldn't show up on list of networked drives. I am probably doing something wrong....

----------

networking is a foreign language to me, to say the least.

10. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally....

So, I ended up talking with of all things the Apple guru at Best Buy. He said here's your problem.....
    hook your TC to the modem/router...hook Mac into ethernet port on TC...create network on TC...turn off wireless on modem/router...ta daah!
    It took some time, getting everything to sync up in a certain order but it just started working, not sure what I did and in what order but it works like a champ and is very fast like it should be. TC backs up via ethernet and Mac runs off ethernet as well....Very strong wireless signal throughout house!
    Happy camper

Thanks for everyones help :)