OK, I admit it, I'm a tit. Tried to cut sim card, not working, now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by April Dancer, Aug 14, 2010.

1. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Tomorrow I'm off to the o2 shop to get a proper micro sim but it occurred to me that they would need the number from the old sim in order to transfer it...which I've just cut through. Please tell me all is not lost. I have a very good number which I've had for years and I can't lose it. :(

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

They don't need your old sim or phone, just your name, address, and account number. (At least here in the US for AT&T, but I'm sure it is universal)

3. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

haha! i have to admit you are a fool :D i think you can just request a new sim and they can transfer it for you in store.

4. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

Thank you :) I had a slight panic there as I remembered reading something about needing to enter the 19 digit number but I think that was if you do it yourself through iTunes.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I believe for the official automated process you need to have the old sim in working condition so you can receive a text on it to confirm ownership, might have to request a new sim, or get them to move it for you or something.

long as number was registered with name/address should be able to work something out.

6. WillLewis macrumors newbie

O2 didn't ask for my sim card when they gave me a micro sim, they just used my details on the computer :)

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Just ask for a new sim in store or on the phone you will have no problems :)

8. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

Thanks all :)

I was sitting here, with an iPhone 4 and a full size o2 sim. I spent about an hour watching youtube videos where people measured with rulers and drew templates and all that. So on impulse I grabbed the nearest scissors, used a non active Vodafone sim as a template and cut round it. Thought it looked pretty good if rough but I must have nicked the metal somewhere along the way. I am officially a tit.

So no working mobile now and a God knows how long wait while they activate the new one. I'm a tit.

9. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

what did you do wrong?, cause I cut my Sim and its working perfectly! and use the leftovers as a adapter (with some "tape") to use the micro on a normal phone :D

both phones are working perfectly!

11. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

I must have caught the edge of the chip when I did it, I wasn't that careful to my shame. I took the bull in a china shop approach... :rolleyes:

12. max-power macrumors member

A stanley knife is your friend in this situation :)